New here. I have a odd question about holding silver coin.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Slyfox279, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Slyfox279

Slyfox279 New Member

ive been getting into silver. 99% of my silver is in capsules. I bought a 2nd 2014 fox coin to hold after my attempt to buy a silver eagle ended worth more then I paid. What do handled coins look like? My copper round after 3-4 days is becoming dark which is ok. What will silver look like? I haven’t handled it much yet. I came here to ask cause well everything google comes up with is about not touching silver coins, how to protect silver coins, etc. which I know, but certainly I can’t be the only one who wants a silver coin to touch and carry. I like my coins but it sucks never being able to touch any of them without a capsule or gloves on.
    Will it just look like Morgan’s? Be unshinny like my copper is becoming? If it just looked liked old quarters that’d be cool, but if it became all blacked out and design unseeable that’d suck.
    So any insight or pictures would be cool. And yeah I know it’ll lose its premium. Paid about 3.70 per oz over spot. I’ll probably never sell it or the original one I got(first coin)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

by the edge of the coin.

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

5. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I also wear a bandana over my mouth. Saliva particles from breathing can cause carbon spots. But once I put them in a holder they stay there.

spirityoda and Stevearino like this.
  6. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

And I'm no expert by any means but it seems to me if you would use a antibacterial soap and wash your hands well I would think that you would be able to handle your coins occasionally.

But that's just my thoughts I would get expert opinions on it.

Dave

spirityoda and asheland like this.
  7. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

You could put it in a plastic round snap lock and keep it in your pocket or whatever if you want to show it off. Just crack it out every now and then and replace the snap lock because of scratches!

8. jake1932

jake1932 Active Member

I wore a 1932 quarter (90% silver) on a necklace in a bezel for about two years through the summer and it nearly turned black (but the reverse is a cool looking electric blue when turned to the light right). I put it in a folder this past summer and tucked it away. Neat thing was that the coin i started with was already in poor condition so I wasn't concerned with destroying a good coin. That's exactly what i wanted to see was how a coin would look (and how long would it take) after it was put back in service. A necklace allows minimal friction on skin and clothing versus a coin in the pocket rubbing others so you don't get a great deal of scratches. (oxidation makes patina or color or corrosion. Scratches don't count much toward patina in my mind.).. Ill try to get a pic of that coin up maybe today... Buy you a few silver quarters (don't pay more than just over 3 bucks for one though) and stick them in your pocket . If they contact other coins they will stay scuffed up and shinier because the silver surfaces are softer and will scratch more easily versus the clad coins of regular change they will be mixed with... But it wont hurt in the name of learning!!!!!

9. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

What it sounds like you are asking about is often referred to as a "pocket piece". This is a coin--usually of lesser value that is carried around by the owner just because.

Here is what a 1917 quarter looks like after 50 years as my personal pocket piece. It has been rubbed for good luck, shown to other people (both collectors and non-collectors), used for coin flips, and generally played with before being retired a little over 3 years ago.

Attached Files:

10. jake1932

jake1932 Active Member

What that 32p looked like when i put it up....

Attached Files:

okbustchaser likes this.
  11. Slyfox279

Slyfox279 New Member

Looks ok, but it’s only 90% silver, will a 9999 silver change differently?

12. jake1932

jake1932 Active Member

Welllll...... If we want to discuss silver oxidation rates at different purities we would have to call Bill Nye the science guy or something.. haha.. I dont know how to field that question!! Just my two cents (based on reading and experience) is that silver will tarnish/oxidize/color/tone/change colors (all these terms can or have been used interchangeably) due to numerous environmental factors.. Humidity/temperature/sunlight/exposure to chemicals/etc. and all kinds of other stuff effect how coins "change colors"... sooooo..... the possibilities are endless as to what your coin might look like because there are so many factors influencing the "color" it gains over given time... Maybe everybody wont beat me up too bad for trying to shed a little light on that for ya....

13. Ron W

Ron W Member

Using Anti-Bacterial Soap will still leave oil from your skin . I use white gloves that are changed real often to protect my coins before packaged them.em.

14. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

jake1932 likes this.
  15. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Not to sound harsh, but it's a silver round, not a coin. Ie, bullion with a premium because of the design. If you want to handle it, go for it. Enjoy your silver. Any metal you handle, will, over time, change color, wear down, and not be as pristine as when you first got it. Are you hoping it will increase in value over time, or when you go to sell it are you wanting to get melt? If you are hoping to sell it at a premium, don't handle it, and make sure it's in MS70 state to start with. Anything less, and the premium won't be enough to have deprived yourself of the joy in handling it. Remember, it's Limited Edition Collector bullion. If you're worried about depreciation, get yourself an old Morgan or Peace, and carry that around.

16. Slyfox279

Slyfox279 New Member

Is t it a coin cause it’s minted by a government with currency amount listed. $8 cad in this case?

I don’t mind (well a part of me does) losing its prestige look, but I do worry if in few months it’ll be so corroded yiu can’t even see the design. Cause I’d be better off with something else. I love foxes so it’s be a cool coin to carry if it’ll just discolor but keep the design like old us currency.
    I got it fro apmex so I doubt it’s ms70 as they pick through to slab thouse.

Also for putting it in a capsule my first one is in a capsule but it’s a exact fit and won’t be coming out with out cutting the capsule off so thatd possible damage the coin. The new one is better shape so I tried t remove the other and switch them.

17. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Is it a coin, or is it bullion? Simple way to answer that. Would you spend it at Tim Horton's for $8 of doughnuts?

18. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

I wouldn't spend this for doughnuts, either...but it's still a coin.

upload_2018-1-22_16-18-19.png
    upload_2018-1-22_16-19-16.png

19. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I get what you're saying...and agree.

20. Slyfox279

Slyfox279 New Member

So by your logic if silver spot went below $8 it’d be a coin again?
    It’s a coin cause technically I could exchange it at stores since it has legal face value and is therefore legal currency protect by their governments. My copper round isn’t a coin it has no face value and isn’t government protected. Both rounds and coins are bullion. Coins can be worth more then rounds though. Which is why my ase will sell for more then a sunshine round. I dont know what Tim hortons is, but no not currently but silver is worth more, but technically I could. But they put low face value to detir people from spending them. But wasn’t silver $4.57 only 15 years ago so so? So back in $2003 was a Canadian maple leaf with face value of $5 a coin to you? I’d still not spent it lol.

21. Slyfox279

Slyfox279 New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted