New Greek coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by KirkCumberland, Apr 20, 2017.

1. KirkCumberland

KirkCumberland Active Member

One of the coins I recently got in my lot..Working on its identification..Any help to confirm is appreciated..It takes me little longer to do the research of course..

4.13gr 16.6mm

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      401.5 KB
      Views:
    • b.jpg
      b.jpg
      File size:
      261.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

At the risk of being corrected by an Alexander expert, I'm going to say Fake!!

Reason: I see what looks like bubbles on Zeus' garments, and the style of Alexander seems a little off? Feel free to contradict me, but it's what I see.

4. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Can you post pictures of the edge of the coin please.

5. KirkCumberland

Attached Files:

6. KirkCumberland

Attached Files:

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I'm surprised by the surface conditions and the 'style' just doesn't seem right to me---so I suspect a fake as well, although I'm wrong as often as I'm right.

gregarious and KirkCumberland like this.
  8. KirkCumberland

Hope not..I normally have someone checking them out before buying them..

9. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I don't see a seam. The experts will be around shortly.

gregarious likes this.
  10. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

i thought i was wrong once, but i was mistaken...

11. gregarious

i wish i could tell just by looking, i'd be a grader of high degree. looks legit to me

KirkCumberland likes this.
  12. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

After looking at the edges, I now have to admit I'm not sure one way or another. Edges look ok, and what I think are bubbles and style issues could just be the photo.

Sorry, but I take back my initial post and will wait to see what others have to say. Please accept my apology for my rush to judgement

gregarious likes this.
  13. gregarious

a wise man is he who admits error of hasty judgement grasshopper- - and i ain't 4got about your mopipe:)

14. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Hard to tell from photos.

Could be somewhat corroded giving it the cast appearance.

Where did you get it from?

Check out vcoins.com for a good source of guaranteed authentic for life coins.

Mikey Zee and gregarious like this.
  15. gregarious

that, or i've seen silver coins that have become somewhat oxydated look like this.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  16. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Of course I'm no expert at all. However I feel that someone would chime in to say that coin is an arm counterfeited. Sorry it's just a strong feeling.

17. KirkCumberland

I purchase from a dealer who has them authenticated by an expert Numismatic..

18. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I hope it's genuine. It's just a feeling. Actually I have many Alexandrian coins, but none of them has that inner shape or condition. As for the edge, modern counterfeiters can fill it to make it look genuine. Good luck anyway..

19. Black Bart

Black Bart Member

The coin looks dubious at best. I'm a relative newcomer to this site but I have already noticed an alarmingly high number of false or very questionable coins posted for examination. Only a very few of these were purchased from reputable dealers experienced in authenticating ancient coinage. It is human nature to want a bargain, and ancient coin collectors, beginners especially, are no exception to this urge. However, the cardinal rule in building a worthwhile collection (unless you consider yourself an expert) is to purchase only from reputable dealers in ancient coins or those dealers or individuals offering a lifetime guarantee or at the very least adequate return privileges. A good rule of thumb for beginning collectors is, " If it looks at all questionable DON'T BUY IT." It's better to pass up the occasional great find than to be stuck with dozens of bargain priced duds in your collection. How deceptive can ancient coins be? I've attached a photo of a nice looking group of ancient coins that would probably bring a decent price on the web. But, are some of these false? Actually, they are all fakes. fakes web.jpg

20. gregarious

sound wisdom B. Bart

21. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

Im relatively new to ancients also...but here is a tetradrachm that i recently won in a Heritage sale, for surface comparison...hope this helps. tmp_4701-20170415_205040-1878840699.jpg tmp_4701-20170415_2054401577284625.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted