New Gordian III

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient coin hunter, Mar 18, 2020.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I received a Gordian III in the mail today from @John Anthony's auction 157. I have two ants of Gordie but this one spoke to me across time and space as I contemplated its image. Also, I thought of the present situation in Italy. Will Rome be eternal?

Gordian III, AD 238-244.

AR Antoninianus. 24mm, 4.4g, 7h. Rome, AD 240.

Obverse: IMP CAES GORDIANVS PIVS AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.

Reverse: ROMAE AETERNAE, Roma, helmeted, in military dress, seated left on shield, holding Victory and spear.

Reference: RIC 38.
    From the Theodosius Collection.

The condition is great and the coin is quite nice in hand. Here is a pic that I shot.

gordian6.jpg

gordian7.jpg

Feel free to post any other Gordians. As a young man, he may indeed have been cut down by disease while campaigning, and not necessarily the sword of Phillip. It's one of those mysteries we will never know. He may also have died in battle against the Persians under Shapur at the Battle of Misiche. Here is a reference which discusses the scenarios under which Gordian met his demise.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/4435781?seq=1

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Very nice new ant!! You seriously can't go wrong with a nice Gordie... when they speak to you, you must listen. Lol

This one just arrived in the mailbox this morning. It also spoke to me. I'd been seeking out a denarius of his as it was the end of the denomination. Plus, the blue/purple was mesmerizing!
    [​IMG]

It's so small compared to the ant I got a few weeks ago. (20.5mm vs 24mm and 2.74g vs 4.29g)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  4. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

the obverse legend is slightly different on my Roma Antoninianus:

Rome, 240 AD
    21 x 23.5 mm, 4.834 g
    Ref.: RIC IV Gordian III 38; RSC 312;
    Ob.: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev.: ROMAE AETERNAE, Roma, helmeted and in military dress, seated left on shield, holding Victory and spear

upload_2020-3-18_20-0-0.png upload_2020-3-18_20-1-7.png

5. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Here is one of mine but with the reverse AETERNITATI AVG or "Eternal Augustus. The poor boy was made emperor at 13, married at 16 and killed at 19 years old. That's not what we can call "ETERNAL"....

FB317E94-FC86-41FD-A524-AAC91700F618.jpeg

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Too many roaches to show them all, but here's my most recent acquisition. It looks like Jove thought that leg day at the gym was for the left leg only:

[​IMG]
    Gordian III, AD 238-244.
    Roman AR antoninianus, 3.62 g, 21.6 mm, 5 h.
    Rome mint, 2nd officina, 3rd emission, AD 241-243.
    Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: IOVI STATORI, Jupiter standing facing, head right, holding scepter and thunderbolt.
    Refs: RIC 84; Cohen 109; RCV 8615; Hunter 51.

7. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Someone here once said Gordian III coins were like cockroaches. They are everywhere.
    Gordian III 13.jpg Gordian III 12.jpg Gordian III 9.jpg Gordian III 11.jpg Gordian III 10.jpg Gordian III 7.jpg Gordian III 8 a.jpg

9. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

Real sharp and clear on the obverse, great example.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  10. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

My last Gordian III :).

Gordian III, sestertius.jpg
    Gordian III, AD 238-244 (struck 239), Rome Mint. AE sestertius: 20.63 gm, 31 mm, 11 h. Reverse: Liberalitas holding abacus & cornucopia. RIC IV.III 269a.

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice Ant, @ancient coin hunter. That is a great obv portrait.

Not just ROMA will be eternal, but we will ALL be eternal.

GORDIANUS III

I do not have an Ant, but enjoy holding something different... everyone seems to gravitate to Denarii and Doube-Denarii...

RI Gordian III 238-244 CE AE As 25mm Hercules S-C.jpg
    RI Gordian III 238-244 CE AE As 25mm Hercules S-C

12. ancient coin hunter

One thing that I am curious about is whether the voluminous coinage of Gordian represents the maximum output of the mint(s) and the time of the greatest wealth for many. However, that illusion (of a fully extended economy with an efficient frontier) was dashed in the coming years.

One can imagine that the expenditures began to outweigh tax revenues, and rather than printing money or just creating more units in the ledger the Romans were struck with one alternative - heavy debasement to increase the number of pieces in circulation. However, this solution leads to the vicious circle of inflation and even more debasement so that by the time of Gallienus the empire was bankrupt.

Theodosius, Justin Lee and Alegandron like this.
  13. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

I am fond of Gordian III's coinage, and I think for good reasons: there is a plethora of reverse types, many of them are quite attractice, and his coins are generally affordable. You got an attractive example of a good type, @ancient coin hunter !

Also, Gordian's coin obverses show an interesting portrait development. The examples from my collection below are in chronological order, and if you scroll down, you can see Gordian maturing from boy to young adult. The first coins show him at 13 and with a clean face, the last three, struck when he was about 17–19, already have more pronounced adult features and a bit of beard.

Rom – Gordian III, Antoninian, Virtus m. Schild.png
    Gordian III, Roman Empire, antoninianus, 238–239 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG; bust of Gordian III, radiate and draped, r. Rev: VIRTVS AVG; Virtus standing l., leaning on shield and holding spear. 22mm, 5.00g. Ref: RIC IV Gordian III 6. Ex Otto Helbing Nachf., München, Auction 86 (11/15/1942), lot 1758 (on ticket, in catalogue: 1757); ex AMCC 2, lot 464.

Rom – Gordian III, Antoninianus, Providentia.png
    Gordian III, Roman Empire, antoninianus, 239 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG; bust of Gordian III, radiate and draped, r. Rev: P M TR P III COS P P; Providentia standing l., holding globe and sceptre. 22mm, 4.76g. Ref: RIC IV Gordian III 18.

Rom – Gordian III, Antoninian, Romae aeternae (klein).png
    Gordian III, Roman Empire, AR antoninianus, 240 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG; bust of Gordian III, radiate, draped, cuirassed, r. Rev: ROMAE AETERNAE; Roma, helmeted, seated l. on shield, holding Victory in extended r. hand and spear in l. hand. 22.5mm, 4.65g. Ref: RIC IV Gordian III 70. Ex Silicua, auction 1, lot 121.

Rom – Gordian III, denar, Adventus-Typ.png
    Gordian III, Roman Empire, denarius, 240–241 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG; bust of Gordian III, laureate and draped, r. Rev: P M TR P III COS P P; Gordian on horseback riding l., raising r. hand and holding spear or sceptre in l. 20mm, 2.66g. Ref: RIC IV Gordian III 81. Ex Auktionen & Münzhandel Dr. Christoph Stadler (Bremen); ex Münzbörse Stadtwaage (Bremen).

Rom – Gordian III, antoninian, Herkules.png
    Gordian III, Roman Empire, AR antoninian, 241–243 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG; bust of Gordian III, radiate, draped, cuirassed, r. Rev: VIRTVTI AVGVSTI; Hercules, nude, standing r., r. behind back and resting l. hand on club set on rock; beside club, lion-skin. 22mm, 3.49g. Ref: RIC IV Gordian III 95. Ex Classical Ancient Coins.

Rom – Gordian III, antoninian, Oriens.png
    Gordian III, Roman Empire, antoninianus, 242–244 AD, Antioch mint. Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG; bust of Gordian III, radiate, draped and cuirassed, r. Rev: ORIENS AVG; Sol standing l., raising r. hand and holding globe in l. 22mm, 4.35g. Ref: RIC IV Gordian III 213.

Rom – Gordian III, Sesterz; Victoria Aeterna (klein).png
    Gordian III, Roman Emire, AE sestertius, 244 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG; bust of Gordian III, draped and laureate, r. Rev: VICTORIA AETERNA, Victory, winged, standing l., leaning on shield and holding palm branch, captive at feet l.; in fields flanking, SC. 32mm, 19.68g. Ref: RIC IV Gordian III 338.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  14. ancient coin hunter

15. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Talking about GIII portraits, this one takes the blue ribbon:
    GordianIIIAntFides.jpg
    Gordian III. 238-244 AD. AR Antoninianus (23mm; 4.45 gm; 5h). Rome mint. 1st emission, 238 AD. Obv: Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. Rev: Fides standing facing, head left, holding standard and scepter. RIC IV 1; RSC 86. Splendid portrait, but probably idealized. We will never know.....I think ;)

Shea19, galba68, Marsyas Mike and 7 others like this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes, there are many variations on Gordian as he grew. We have Rome,
    ro0480bb1665.jpg
    Antioch
    ro0610bb2004.jpg
    and out of this world.
    ro0630bb0213.jpg

17. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

Here's a Gordian III I just won from Savoca last week.

Gordian_III-removebg-preview.png

Gordian III (Augustus)
    Coin: Silver Antoninianus
    IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG - Radiate draped bust right
    P M TR P V COS II P P - Apollo, nude to waist, seated left, holding branch in extended right hand and resting left elbow on lyre.
    Mint: Rome (242 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 5.10g / 24mm / 5h
    References:
    RIC IV 89
    RSC 261
    Provenances:
    Savoca Coins
    Acquisition/Sale: Savoca Coins Internet 30th Blue Auction #1876 $0.00 03/20
    Notes: Mar 22, 20 - The Gary R. Wilson Collection

Minted-10th emission, AD 242

Johndakerftw, galba68, Bing and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted