New Gold and Silver Testers - Feedback

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Rory Roberts, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Rory Roberts

Rory Roberts New Member

Hi Gold Forum Members
    I am an inventor from Ireland, I am looking for feedback from gold and silver coin enthusiasts on prototypes I have under development. I want to make them affordable and as aesthetically pleasing as gold and silver. There are three prototypes I am working on, they can test through the packaging, and are very efficient at detecting the very high quality fakes that are on the market. I look forward to an interesting discussion.
    Thank You
    Rory

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

My first question is what are they testing exactly ?

4. Rory Roberts

Rory Roberts New Member

Hi Sal,
    All gold and silver coins and bars. the video shows the difference between a real American eagle and a Fake American eagle under test.

Thanks for your interest
    Rory

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Hi, Rory! Welcome to the neighborhood!

Do you hold any patents on the prototypes? How do they compare to an XRF Analyzer?

6. Rory Roberts

Rory Roberts New Member

Hi
    Thanks for the welcome, the XRF testers are very expensive. We have three products as seen in the video that we are working on.

They are all under PCT patent globally.

1. The Gold Coin Tester (offline)

I am thinking this is a premium model, for those who not only want to test their coins but also want a library piece.

2. The Gold/Silver Coin measurement board, these will be made out of anodized aluminium and have a nice finish. And should be affordable to all.

3. The IOT Coin tester, which sends the data over bluetooth or wifi to your account, this would be the more common and affordable model.

I have prices in mind for the three of them based off the manufacturing costs, but i don't want to influence the feedback.

The measurement of weight, dimension and conductivity should be sufficient to authenticate any coin or bar from my analysis.

I think we can all agree that the testers are becoming more necessary, its worth checking out the fake coin in the video on alibaba, these are practically indistinguishable!

7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Suggestion: Make a video of a deceptive $20 saint struck in the last year composed of gold and a genuine coin.

Ditch the coin board. Old Tech. The slot will eventually wear out of tolerance. It may also scratch coins if not used carefully. However, we both know folks will buy anything.

PS Alibaba is not the best source for truly deceptive counterfeits.

8. Rory Roberts

Rory Roberts New Member

Hi Insider Thanks for your comments, I would very keen to find even better fake coins to test if you know a source. I Appreciate your feedback

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  9. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

At first glance, it looks like a fancy scale. :D

What is it doing and measuring ?

10. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

@Rory Roberts with all due respect, that video raises more questions than it answers.

Will it detect ONLY coins?
    Can it detect gold jewelry?
    Will ALL real gold register 60 pendulum swings?
    Does the number of swings equate to purity of the gold being tested?
    Will all counterfeit gold register the same 'frequency' on the counter?
    You say it detects silver as well. Is pendulum frequency the same as the gold?
    Again, different purities of silver?
    Will repetitive testing of the same coin always come up with the same frequency?

The other detectors....
    The board doesn't show any test being done. It looks very scam-like. Again, not to be rude or argumentative. Just an observation since you didn't show how it operates.

The IOT looks somewhat similar in operation to the 'sextant looking' tester, is the pendulum function the same? Will both the IOT and the 'sextant' register the same number of swings on the same coin?

I'm pretty sure the answers you provide will generate new questions. I hope you don't mind if I continue to pepper you with additional questions as you provide further information for me to absorb.

Thanks.....

11. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Oh, BTW, welcome to CT.

Your invention is intriguing to say the least.

12. Rory Roberts

Rory Roberts New Member

Hi Masterswimmer
    Your feedback is very helpful, thank you. You are right that I have left many questions unanswered in my attempt to make a short video.
    Let me try to address them here. A test of weight and dimension will establish the density of the coin, the measurement board will give the volume or dimension of a coin. And weighing a coin can be done with a sensitive scale of .001 gram sensitivity which are readily available on Amazon for about $25.
    As gold is the seventh densest metal, this is a good start. Bad fakes have the wrong density. In order to counterfeit pure gold and still have the same density, the fake needs to be a mixture of a heavier and a lighter substance. Most of the metals that are more dense than gold can be ruled out such as plutonium and uranium, osmium, iridium. platinum is possible but is expensive. By a process of elimination we are left with tungsten, which is the same ( or very close) density as gold.

The device is to validate coins and bars. The fake coin featured in the video is a thickly gold plated piece of tungsten. I have talked to many people and gold experts and placed the real coin and the fake coin in their hands, and they cannot tell them apart, they have the same density and they look and feel the same.

To the swinging pendulum. The idea is that when testing the coin you log on to the website, which is still under development (. Oct 30th Launch). And Search for your coin. Say your coin is a 1989 Krugerrand, the number of readings you should expect from the genuine article will be listed there. If you do not get that reading you will know it’s a counterfeit. In this case a genuine American eagle 2008 will give you a reading of 60, so if you to test it and get a reading of 36, you would know it is fake coin.

The pendulum works by testing the conductivity of the coin. Every coin has a distinct conductivity which relates to the composition of metals it contains. Any change in those metals will give a different conductivity measurement. A measurement of density and conductivity is enough to establish that any coin of any non - ferrous (not containing iron) metal is real. Any coin containing a ferrous metal is also fake and will stick to the base of the pendulum so is very simple to detect.

In a little bit more detail ( and technicality), the pendulum motion is damped by the electromotive force given by the proximity of the conductive coin. “Faraday law of induction”

The pendulum can test through slabs or any non conductive packaging. I believe after extensive research, that I found the best counterfeit on the market to demonstrate with, it is a tungsten core plated with over $100 of gold. Mixed with zinc,copper, tin to look exactly like the real thing. Any counterfeit that costs less than $200 will be relatively easy to detect. As the density will not be right, and the look and feel will not be right, it will costs at least this much to make a good replica, that can fool testing instruments.

Your feedback is very helpful, I’ m going to take this on board and think out how I can get this across to the viewer more clearly.

I will also include a demonstration of the measurement board.

Answers to Your Questions directly:
    1. It is designed to test bars and coins.
    2. It is not designed to test jewelry, this is because the dimensions of the sample are important for the comparison. Technically you could compare one piece of jewelry to another if they were placed in exactly the same way under the pendulum.
    3. Each gold or silver coin or other PM will have a different read corresponding to its exact composition and dimensions. This will be read from the online database.
    4. Yes, the number of swings does equate to the purity of the coin, furthermore it relates to the exact composition of the coin, ie how much silver, and copper are in the coin aswell.
    5. The counterfeit gold will also register different oscillations counts. We will have a database of counterfeits that can tell you the origin of your counterfeit, assuming we have encountered it before. 6. Silver is more conductive than gold, so typically the oscillation count will be smaller than gold for a silver coin.
    7. Yes there will be a different count for different purities of silver. In general each authentic coin on the market, silver and gold will have its own count. The 1 Ounce pure coins will give readings that are close, they will only differ because of the dimensions of the coin. I am going to add a link to a repeatability test video below.

Please feel free to bombard me with questions, this is exactly what I’m looking for. :)

Thanks again Rory

Robidoux Pass and masterswimmer like this.
  13. Rory Roberts

Rory Roberts New Member

14. Rory Roberts

Rory Roberts New Member

XRF results for the two coins featured in the video

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted