new find

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by David M. Dvorak, Oct 18, 2018.

1. David M. Dvorak

David M. Dvorak New Member

1892 Columbian Exposition Chicago World's Worlds Fair Silver Half Dollar Coin

Believe it or not, I found this at a yard sale!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hey, yard sales can be great places for finds. Welcome to CT, how much did this one set you back?

4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I like it with some character like this. It looks like it has been in circulation. Good find.

5. David M. Dvorak

Bought it for $2 ! Looking to sell it but not finding anyone interested. Have seen some advertised for $200+ but trying to find takers for $75 or even a good trade. ...but still not finding anyone interested!

6. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

In this condition it's worth less than $10.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is hard to evaluate with just the obverse, but if it is similar I suspect Jaelus's is close to what a knowledgeable buyer would pay. Non-collectors might value it more, but good luck, check the various auction sites for prices-fees of sold items to get a reasonable figure. Or use it to start your own collection, Welcome. Jim

8. whyb

whyb New Member

Very neat, this was the first of the commemoratives, right?

9. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

There are 92s and 93s of the same coin. I looked at some on eBay and did some research and thought of getting one but too many irons in the fire. Lol

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

As others have said, in that condition it's worth $10 +/-. However, picking it up for $2 was still a great buy. Cool coin with an interesting history

11. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

More like melt.

12. Kentucky

Have a few of these, and the low condition ones retail for about $10 on ebay.

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I find examples better than that for way less than $75........Your dreams of striking it rich are flawed. Sorry. BTW, that coin is the first commem my father ever showed me, and I've had a love affair with them ever since. :)

14. Kentucky

How many do you have...enquiring minds want to know...

15. green18

Shoot.....at least 15 or so......most all of them in circulated condition. I think one or two may be slabbed. :)

Kentucky likes this.
  16. Kentucky

I think I have half-a-dozen, and am bidding on some now on ebay.

green18 likes this.
  17. green18

I pick most all of mine up at dealer tables at shows.......fun negotiations. :)

Kentucky likes this.
  18. David M. Dvorak

Have one so far & it wasn't purchased to turn around and make a profit. My coin collecting is far more of a hobby than trying to make $ from it. Have coins from over 140 countries, of different centuries all the way to B.C. to A.D.

Draft saved Draft deleted