New find,1943-P and 1943-S Jefferson war nickel, Not silver.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lucky John, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

If you could let us know where you are, someone could suggest a resource nearby that could help you with an XRF gun.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Yea, Meow thinks they look silver. Only silver nickels get that dark grey and green color.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  4. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Not sure about war nicks. But I'm going to say that i can tell silver. And i only have a canadian coin (quarter thats silver) that I'm willing to drop. A gentleman gave me a proof quarter. 63 i think. Oh yeah. rodney. Not dropping that one. I can tell silver

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. Cheech9712

I agree

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. Cheech9712

If you had a 43s non siver nickel. That would be something like a first find 82d small date copper. Unique. With you having 3 non silver war nickels. Simple answer. YOU GOT HOSED.

7. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

I gotta ask...How is finding these in a bulk scrap silver buy getting "HOSED"?

thomas mozzillo and Lucky John like this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

About the "ring" of silver, try this...hold a large silver coin lightly between thumb and forefinger (obviously a circulated specimen), blow sharply parallel to the coin along the edge, bring the coin to your ear and hear the "ring"

9. Lucky John

Lucky John New Member

Wow just put a rope around my nickel neck and kick the dam bucket, edited is this a linch mob.....I joined this group to share some of my personal finds with you all,trying to find out how I can get it checked out first to see if it was real befor spending a lot of money on the grading companies....but all I got was negative feed back straight out of the gate,....this is for the guy who said war nickel are 999999999999999999999999999999999.9%, I would love to sell you all my war nickels to you for that silver content.....there is sucks still out there!
    The title (new find) was to attract the attention of experts that could help me, someone asked I don't get it you said it was a new find ?......but you had it for 20 years ? We all claim to be collectors and some are willing to share or brag about there finds and some don't care to share any at all, after all these years I was willing to learn by sharing but I think this was a mistake so I will do you all a great favor and quite, resign, throw in the towel,kick my self to the curb or this one has to be my favorite ...... Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.....

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2019
  10. Lucky John

Lucky John New Member

thanks again for your help I truly appreciate it.....hope some day you find that rare find......

11. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@Lucky John ...we only tell you the truth, not what you want to hear. This site is dedicated to accurate information...Spark

wood_ster likes this.
  12. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

No problem. I hope you don't go. Sometimes you gotta have a thick skin to take some of the needling these guys can give ya.

You gotta understand we see stuff like this on a daily basis and we all have taken a lashing or two. Frequently from new members who think they have a million dollar coin and do not like being told they don't have what they are convinced they do.

Inspector43, Stevearino and Spark1951 like this.
  13. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Did I miss the post where the OP weighed these non silver nickels against silver and non silver nickels?

Inspector43 likes this.
  14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The weight should be within the normal tolerances for both should be 5 grams +/- tolerance.

Heavymetal likes this.
  15. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

maybe @paddyman98 could answer this, would a metal detector with really good target ID tell the difference between the two nickel types? I have a Minelab Equinox 600, but some others have more target ID numbers.

Qsins, Heavymetal and wood_ster like this.
  16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

They're silver. You can tell by looking at them. If they have silver they all wear the same. I can almost smell the silver in them.

micbraun and wood_ster like this.
  17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I’m not going to venture a view on whether they are silver or not, but I’m sure you understand the odds are astronomical against you.

Go get a metals test. You won’t rest easy until you do.

18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They are 35% silver. You can tell by the patina.
    They look nothing like regular nickels.
    You'd have to get these verified/certified/authenticated/graded by
    a reputable company, and they are going to come back and be worth
    a dollar apiece.
    Weighing is not a marker in this case. Nickels weigh 5.0 grams and every nickel ever made by the US Mint (not including 3 cent nickels or half dimes) they all weigh 5.0 grams.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  19. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

no especially on war nickels

20. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

About $1000 worth of advice on a $1 coin, so far

21. wood_ster

wood_ster Active Member

You know what, you’re right. A regular nickel rings up a 15, and a war nickel it’s going to be a 16 17 . This would be calibrated to a mine lab equinox though

Qsins, Stevearino and Heavymetal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted