New Find 1848 H-10 Reverse Bisecting Die Crack & MPD?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Going through some of my little gems today I ran across this 1848 Half Dime. I had purchased it awhile back and as both work and family issues has had me tied up never looked at it as close as today.
    This is a 1848 medium date half dime, on the reverse there's a bisecting die crack Through the "C" in America heading NW towards the wreath ,catching the bottom of the "E" in dime. Under both feet of the "H" ,through the wreath ,and under the "E" in United.
    This is the second Bisecting die crack I've found in this series.
    Byt wait there's more.... take a look at my images of the area under the ! in 1840 It looks to be the top part of the" Ones" shaft, and the flag , peeking out of the denticles.
    It is raised metal not a stain, not a chip. And it's doubled punched! 1848 H-10 BSDC.jpg 1848 H-10 BSDC 1.jpg 1848 H-10 BSDC 2.jpg 1848 H-10 BSDC 4.jpg 1848 H-10 BSDC 5.jpg 1848 H-10 MPD 1.jpg 1848 H-10 MPD 2.jpg

yakpoo, Shrews1994, gronnh20 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Are you sure it isn't a minor clash below the "1"? It just looks like it is curving upward on the left side to me like the last "S" of "STATES".

4. Paddy54

Here's an over lay. 40523322.jpg

It doesn't match up.

Skyman and paddyman98 like this.
  5. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Great coin Paddy!

6. mynamespat

I think we're looking at two different features. I'm looking at the thin horizontal line that curves into the "1" on on side and slightly upward on the other. Although limiting detail, I also also see small amounts of activity by where liberty's hand is touching the shield and also by the seat.

In the close up of the reverse I see what looks like field movement between the wreath and the "H" as well as by the "D". I wouldn't normally assume that is a clash, rather than ghosting, except the other features seem to indicate it as well.

You don't have a close up photos of the corresponding area of reverse around "STATES", but I'm thinking that area was the primary contact point (and what appears to be heavy die scratches seems to confirm). Thus, I would assume the north-south mark below the date is probably a die gouge from repair since it appears to cover the clash and there's no obvious distinction such as a serif.

I dunno... maybe I'm completely off on this one, but I don't see any reason not to share my opinion.

7. Paddy54

No worries opinions is why I posted this....but if it's a clash my question is from what? There's nothing I see or know of on this specimen that would create the raised area below the 1. It is in hand tripled punched as I can see that there's other strikes next to the primary one. I still like to hear the others views from the members here.
    No matter what I got a nice coin with a bisected die crack with a better date.....it a win win for me.:)

8. Paddy54

Well I think I Figured it out . .....it is the top right hand side of the shield. So it is a clash......if you look at the shield it is the tip of the top and the angle going down the right side.
    Sitting here and going over the devices on this coin that has any part of the shape of the item below the 1. It has to be the top center to the right side of the shield. Then the curved downward shape of the shields right side.
    Since the placement of the shield is more vertical then at an angle as shown in the overlay, it all makes sense .

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    mynamespat and paddyman98 like this.
  9. mynamespat

Yeah, sometimes clashes can be weird. Kind of similarly to RPDs, they can occasionally show up in ways you would never expect. I've read that one of the weirder ways a clash can occur is when a contact between dies is made simply from operator mistake- like dropping a die during set-up.
    I've been digging thru auction photos looking for some of the harder-to-spot franklin varieties. So at the moment my clash detectors are on high alert.

10. Paddy54

Well you know how it's easy to go in the path of least resistance . Especially when it your coin! I must confess that when I discovered this it was more likely in my mind sight that it was a mpd,as the shape is nearer to a 1 on the coin. That's why opinions are needed to sort out fact from fiction .

11. Paddy54

Clash shield 1_LI.jpg 1848 H-10 MPD 2.jpg clash shield 3_LI.jpg

Looking at the shield that is in the same position as the 1848 you see that the tip points directly towards the 1. As other obverses the tip points towards the second digit. the shield is more upright than at an angle. you can also see outlined in red the same shape of the shield's right side is the clash.

12. Paddy54

@coinzip Alan can you pass this on to Kevin Flynn ?

13. Kevin Flynn

Kevin Flynn Member

Sorry to took so long to reply

I do not have this variety list in my HD book
    The number of die cracks and gouges on the obverse and reverse
    either meant it was very over used at high pressure
    or it was not properly hardened

On the horizontal line below the 1, it is three-quarters the width of the base of the 1
    with a slight curvature upward on the left side. The width is consistent across,
    and it does not have sharp or jagged edges associated with die cracks and such

On the right side is a die gouge extending up from the denticles, a die crack extending upward to the right base of the 1, and another extending from the right
    side downward to the right to the denticles.
    There also appears in the photo to be a die gouge extending from the denticles to the left side of the line

On the date punch, the top of the digit is skinnier than the base, this makes it
    easier to punch into the annealed working die.
    If struck lightly, or perhaps just even laid on the face of the die, such an impression
    might be made.

IMO, given the relative location to the base of the 1, the relatively straight, consistent width, smooth edges, and top, it is the remnants of a repunched 1.
    This is more likely the result of the Engraver leaning the date punch on the die while looking at the relative position before striking. The date punch was leaned slightly to the left and back, leaving only the light impression of the secondary base of a 1.

I cannot explain the up curve on the left side, except the possibility that the engraver twisted slightly as he raised the date punch causing a slight drag
    of the left side of the 1, but this is only a theory.

This is unusual, and not something I have seen before, with this curvature on
    the left side.

It would be nice to see if there are earlier die states.

Kevin

Paddy54 likes this.
  14. Paddy54

So then indeed this is a new discovery as well as a new variety for the 1848 medium date half dime?

15. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Well, it makes sense.....
    Seems like the corner of the shield theory is just as plausible though.

16. heavycam.monstervam

@Paddy54 your new mission is to find another of these. If thats even possible, an earlier die state, will be a tough row to hoe. You should however, be able to spot that die crack even in a scruffy ebay image one would think

17. Paddy54

Heavy you can bet I'll be searching however 40's dated H-10's are like hens teeth at shows.
    And their prices are up there also when you do find some. Even common dates at times are tough to find. But as long as I can find and afford I will be buying.:)

18. heavycam.monstervam

Oh thats right,these ARE tough dates. You remember that '48 seated quarter i shouldve pulled the trigger on, but didnt, ill probably never see one again in XF for that price! I will be keeping an eye out too, assuming they can be had for less than $100 , otherwise i may call you one day, needing a money gram:woot:

Paddy54 likes this.
  19. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

20. Paddy54

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  21. Paddy54

I have a 1853 with a straight line die crack rim to rim.
    This date has its share of varities.....

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted