New Financial Year, New Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Egry, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

I’ve been very busy lately at work and therefore had to sacrifice my CT time and basically any time spent on coins. However, I’m back on the wagon and starting off the new (Australian) financial year by crossing off a coin that has been on my list for a long time. Well, here it is, I hope you all like it.

A142A7DA-187C-4FAC-BCEA-26FF56A6715E.jpeg

Macedonian Empire, the Alexandrine Era, Alexander III ‘the Great’, King of Macedon 336-323 BC, Gold Stater (8.49g, 17mm, Attic Standard), immediately Posthumous issue, struck at an uncertain European mint, Macedon (?), circa 325-310 BC, likely under Antipater, Perdiccas, Polyperchon or Cassander as Regents of Macedon.

Obverse: Head of Athena facing to right, wearing double crested Corinthian helmet ornamented with a coiled snake.

Reverse: Draped Figure of Nike standing forward with wings spread, her head facing to left, holding laurel wreath in outstretched right hand and stylis in her left; “K” to left field.

Let’s see any of your Alex The Great coins!

DonnaML, Hrefn, kountryken and 29 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Beauty! I'll never be able to afford any ATG gold.

This huge posthumous tet is probably the nicest Alex I've had.

[​IMG]

DonnaML, Hrefn, kountryken and 15 others like this.
  4. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

What a great coin! I love those tets. I bought one (but not as nice as yours) the week before my son was born, then named him Alexander lol.

DonnaML, Theodosius and lordmarcovan like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

Cool! And an excellent name for him, even aside from the numismatic tie-in. Now you've got something to pass on down to him.

That tet I had (alas, sold now) was a monster, sizewise. I forget the exact dimensions now, but 34-35-ish mm, maybe? Big, anyway. Chunky. And the high relief was stunning.

I like your avatar coin, too. The only electrum I've had (read: been able to afford) is a teeny-tiny Phokaia hekte. Somewhat on the opposite end of the size spectrum from "Big Al", there. (Still have this one, at least.)

6. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Congrats Egry, beautifull stater, as Lordmarcovan I cant afford those gold coins :(
    so I settle with silver:

P1180358.JPG

DonnaML, kountryken, Limes and 14 others like this.
  7. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Yes, the ATG tet is put aside for him for when he is older.

Following bit of a pattern, the week before my daughter was born I picked up a beautiful Roman Republican denarius featuring the goddess Victory, I then named my daughter Victoria. Needless to say I have a very great wife.

Here’s to hoping I don’t pick up a coin of Pupienus the week before my wife has our next child.

I like your electrum coin, I’m always amazed by how small they minted some of the denominations. It just seems impossible that most did not get lost or fall out of what bag they were being held in.

I would have to say that my Punic stater is possibly my favourite coin. It always amazes me how such a civilization was just wiped from the history books.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    DonnaML, Orfew, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

ALEXANDER III When he died in Babylon
    [​IMG]

Makedon Alexander III - Alexandrine Babylon Di-Shekel Tet 24mm 16.35g LIFETIME 328-311 Baal - Lion

9. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Very cool!

Alegandron likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

Ladymarcovan and I have a Victoria as well. :)

She's graduated and off at college now.

ROFL! :hilarious: A certain amount of that goes with the territory, during the diaper days.

I always enjoyed the "Pupienus" pun.

11. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

I bet the ancient Roman dads were cracking that joke.

Victoria is a strong name. My Victoria has a ways to go yet. Some days I feel like can’t wait for her to be off to college but then I fear she might meet a reincarnation of Dionysus!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    DonnaML and lordmarcovan like this.
  12. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Oh wow that is BEAUTIFUL!

I bid on a stater like that on Heritage but got outbid quickly.

Very nice coin! Definitely a coin any one of us would be proud to have in our collection. ^_^

DonnaML, lordmarcovan and Egry like this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you. I believe it was more of a local currency for the Babylon Satrapy. This one with a Gamma symbol was minted in Alexander's lifetime just before he passed.

Egry likes this.
  14. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed. Thanks for the post.

Egry likes this.
  15. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Nice gold stater, @Egry

This coin type is also under my wantlist for quite some time. I am glad to be able to pickup an affordable example last year. :)

=002.jpg
    MACEDONIAN KINGDOM. Alexander III the Great (336-323 BC).
    AV stater (18mm, 8.58 gm, 7h).
    Sardes Mint, ca. 330/25-324/3 BC.

Obv: Helmeted head of Athena right
    Rev: ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ, Nike standing facing, head left, wreath in outstretched right hand, stylis cradled in left arm; griffin head and neck left in left field. Price 2533.

16. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

The only lifetime coin in gold that I have of Alexander III is this one. Alexander III Av Quarter Stater Amphipolis 330-320 BC Obv, Head of Athena right in Corinthian style helmet. Rv, Club above Bow. Symbol Kantharos in upper field. Price 169 HGC 897a 2.13 grms 11 mm Photo by W. Hansen alexanderav5 (2).jpeg These gold fractions tended to be minted in Macedon with a few brief issues coming from mints in Asia Minor. Whereas the obverse of the quarter staters from Macedon feature the iconic image of Athena the reverse is essentially a variation of that found on the quarter staters minted in the name of his father.

17. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Wow, what a great example.

lordmarcovan and happy_collector like this.
  18. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

I really like the symbolism on the reverse.

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted