New Facebook Scam Ads

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JickyD, Apr 24, 2020.

1. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

Anybody else see these companies pop up on Facebook recently selling Morgan's & ASE's for less than spot? If it wasn't bad now we're going to be flooded by fakes soon.

Annotation 2020-04-24 175234.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

4. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

They're showing up under all kinds of different names now. The Facebook gullible will hoard them up.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Seen lots of them, some even admitted that they were silver plated iron "coins"

JickyD likes this.
  6. Dima

Dima Member

If these sellers do well, unfortunately more will follow. Likely, the same folks selling garbage "St.Gauden double eagles" for ~$150 on Alibaba.

The saddest thing is that folks fall for these "opportunities" and rely on them for a rainy day. Then when it comes time to sell this stuff in their hour of need, they're abruptly faced with the reality of owning valueless replicas.

Bambam8778 and JickyD like this.
  7. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

It's quite the shame. You have a good chance of spotting a fake if you have been in the hobby for a while but you still need all the help you can get. I just recently purchase one of the metylitcs verifiers to aid in this. The sad truth is that even with your knowledge as a dealer and long time collector, some won't believe that when you tell them they have a fake morgan that you are telling them the truth. The even more perplexing thing is when they get upset at you for you not wanting to buy the coin off of them.

JickyD likes this.
  8. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

They even threw in a attractive woman to through the off. Like a aspirin company naming a aspirin after a Saint to through you off.

JickyD likes this.
  9. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

Report them as soon as they pop up. I haven’t got any coin related ads, but I get a lot of ethically questionable and possibly illegal garbage all the time.

10. JickyD

JickyD Active Member

I most certainly did. I would have hoped Facebook, who is so worried about Fake News would vet their advertisers a little better.

11. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I deactivated my Facebook account quite a while ago. No regrets.

JickyD likes this.
  12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Never click on anything that says SPONSORED.

JickyD and Dima like this.
  13. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

They don’t vet anything. They purge sketchy advertisers every so often, but other than that, you can put up ads for just about anything. I get stuff from used heavy earth moving equipment, to premature ejaculation remedies, to Christian web browser screening services. Someone could probably put up a murder for hire ad and it wouldn’t get taken down until someone reported it.

14. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted