New Ebay Coin Categories

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lon Chaney, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Anybody see this yet? Starting August 22nd (I think), ebay will be updating their coin categories:
    http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/growing/categorychanges/coins.html

I think the changes look to be for the better. Hopefully nobody posted this yet, I didn't exactly do a proper search.

Also, I bought this on ebay the other day (and frankly, I think I overpaid). However, why would the guy have listed this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230651176885#ht_540wt_902
    And he's still selling these. I mean, it's very unlikely that one will go for over the price of a postage stamp.
    I just don't get it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Looks like feedback farming to me.

gti2 is always listing silver-by-weight lots that look close to reasonably priced -- until you look at the detailed description and see how many war nickels they include. Even though they're clearly described, he gets a steady trickle of negatives from people unhappy with them.

For a seller with his volume, another positive feedback and set of four-star ratings is probably well worth the cost of a stamp.

4. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

He's had 5 neg's in the past six months. All those little sales have brought his rating back up to a 99.5%

5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I gotcha. I didn't think of that. Well, you guys are probably right, good call.

6. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

I like the addition of the earlier US type coins as separate categories. I just wish they had used the proper names (e.g., Liberty Cap instead of "Flowing Hair") in the Half Cent and Cent categories.

My biggest fear is that these will just be places for more Chinese counterfeits.

Draft saved Draft deleted