New Discovery: Guyana 1980 FM 10 Dollars Uncirculated

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Jags, Jan 24, 2020.

1. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Hi all, hope this does not create controversy but here is another new discovery - not reported as to its actual existence ever before. It is the PL Uncirculated, and not the proof that was issued in sets. I have looked for this coin (amongst others) since it was first struck FORTY years ago. It is purely speculation, but from what I have gathered the total mintage of 200 was dumped into a bag and sent to Guyana to the Central Bank by the Franklin Mint. What happened subsequent to that is not known and this coin turned up only by chance.

This coin is reported in Krause and Numismata, but NOT documented, as have been some of my other reports.

Attached Files:

onecenter and Chris B like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

4. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

So the bank of Guyana or the Government of Guyana is going to contract with the privately owned Franklin Mint to coin legal tender for the country? How would that work?

5. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Wow, that's very interesting.o_O

6. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yes, that is how it worked "back in the day" and the Franklin Mint had similar contracts with many other countries such as Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Malta, Panama, Malaysia, Papua, BVI, etc.
    The Central Banks and governments of these countries then signed contracts with the FM just as they do now with some private mints in the USA and elsewhere for bullion and other coins.

GH#75 likes this.
  7. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Cool. I just picked up the FM 1969 presidential medal set. 36 coins (Washington through Nixon) in the blue Presidential Hall of Fame folder. Actually these are pretty nicely made. Polish_20200124_190352505.jpg
    Polish_20200124_190718685.jpg
    Short little bio on the back of each one. Couple of outdated factoids including that John Quincy Adams was the only son of a president to become a president and Andrew Johnson being the only president to be involved in impeachment proceedings.

The Eidolon likes this.
  8. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Very nice set there. The FM has struck many interesting and even beautiful coons and medals which can be favorably priced as well.

The OP Coin is NOT NCLT IMO as it definitely reached circulating channels without any special care.

Please feel free to post or mail me with questions about FM coins - I am strictly a collector.

Draft saved Draft deleted