New discovery die #6 1988P 006

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coin-crazy, Feb 1, 2011.

1. coin-crazy

coin-crazy Senior Error Searcher

I tried matching this coin up and I tried to find die markers but was unsuccessful.So my only conclusion now is the is a new die.The E in liberty has a strong die scratch that no dout would be used as a marker.The 5 listed dies for this trans coin has none.Oh well thats for viewing and Leave a comment.Thanks!!:yes:

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I sent the D that I found to CONECA for authentication forwarded to ANACS for grade, cert and slab. Neither PCGS nor NGC certify this mule.

4. coin-crazy

Wow Gary I didnt know that.I havent been using this site much now adays,Im mostly on (LCR)..I have to ask all those lincoln junkies to see if anyone else has experienced this ...

5. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

There is a new, 8th 1988-D working die that was just discovered, but I haven't heard of anything new for the P.

6. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

The P has been around in some numbers. I think that is why Wexler anticipated the D would be found also. But so far there have only been abut 12 and only 3 certified by ANACS according to their population report. After I found mine, I decided to get it authenticated and slabbed. I contacted both PCGS and NGC who stated they didn't recognize and wouldn't authenticate the mule. Dr Wiles of CONECA was kind enough to forward it to ANACS and they took care of it for me. If you decide to get yours slabbed, take time to contact both PCGS & NGC to see if they are still not certifying the variety. They could have changed it by now.

gary

7. coin-crazy

To update this thread,I sent this coin out to John Wexler
    and this is what he said,

Hello,

I just finished processing a package (envelope) from you postmarked February 11, 2011. It contained one 1988 Lincoln cent with the transitional reverse (reverse of 1989).

Your observations are good. It is indeed a specimen of the working die that I have listed as 1988 1c WTRD-004. The markers on the reverse are a perfect match. When I first looked at the obverse I thought that perhaps it might be a new stage where the reverse was paired with a different obverse die. However, closer study showed that it still has the parallel die scratches that run from the beard. Apparently this is a later stage of the obverse die where the obverse was heavily abraded for some reason. Why the obverse was abraded and not the reverse is puzzling, but it apparently did happen.

Your coin is now in my files as 1988 1c WTRD-004B which is a new stage listing for this working die.

The updates on this variety should appear on my website before the end of the day. Your coin will go out in the mail today.

Good luck with all of your continued collecting efforts.

John

8. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

That is absolutely fantastic ! I guess you will now submit a copy of the letter with the coin for grading ? Keep us posted,

gary

9. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

That is good news to hear!

10. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Very cool....congrats!

Draft saved Draft deleted