New DDO

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Barbermania, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Barbermania

Barbermania Active Member

Can anyone tell me anything about this coin and the errors that you see on it and how I go about getting it authenticated and sent in to have it registered

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Nope. Can't. Won't.

4. Barbermania

IMG_20171207_163135.jpg
    I'm just kind of new at this and I'm not sure how is works as far as having this sent in and just looking for some help

Kentucky likes this.
  5. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

If you're looking at the date, I think it is just mechanical doubling.

A clearer photo might help.

6. V. Kurt Bellman

Well, at least there's a photo now. But I see "doughnuts of confusion" in it, which means at least two things:

1) It is out of focus.
    2) It was photographed with the functional equivalent of a ringlight, i.e. the light completely surrounded the lens.

Both are not good technique, and it's also LOADED with compression artifacts. Steeeeeerike three!

From what I can see, I'm puzzled why you think it would be a candidate for "sending it in", because my 54 years of experience tells me, "NO WAY!" Not. Even. Close.

There was a 2015 DDO, if I recall correctly (but I sooooo do not care), but nothing here can still identify this as one.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  7. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Is the date the only thing doubled .

8. Barbermania

No it's the date in God we trust Liberty and part of his face I'll have some more pictures tbetter pictures within the next hour

9. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

@Barbermania , before you spend the cost and effort of sending something in to be attributed it would be good to learn about the different types of errors and what a true error or variety is. If you think you have something, this forum is a great place to ask (never hurts to ask) and get feedback. Don't get discouraged if the coin is not truly an error or variety. Most of the coins posted are a result of mechanical or die deterioration doubling and not a true doubled die. Learn the difference to help yourself. http://www.error-ref.com/machine-doubling/

If you have one that you think needs to be held in hand with an expert opinion, there are several places to send them. I have used John Wexler for doubled dies and RPMs. He usually provides a quick turn around and is very reasonable. Also, if you have a new variety he will list it on his website. His site also has good information on how to tell what is real and what is not. http://doubleddie.com/402401.html
    There is also Variety Vista, that will attribute your coins and has a great listing with pictures. http://varietyvista.com/Attribution Services.htm

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Does it look like this one .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

OUTSTANDING, Rick! Now, OP, look very carefully at the left leg of the R in LIBERTY. See that jog to the right? THAT HAS TO BE THERE! See the funky inner loops of the B? THAT IS KEY! It can't "B" one without those.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It's simply incredible how the mere act of posting a coin to this forum magically, and drastically increases the likelihood of it being a "variety". Who knew?

Sometimes I swear this is the place both knowledge and factual information go to die.

13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@Barbermania Good explanations/photos/links posted above. Use them to your advantage. I believe there was also some hub doubling on the reverse of the 2015P at the designers initials. Those can also be found on www.doubleddie.com.

14. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Why would you want to? Do you just like wasting money?

Draft saved Draft deleted