New Constantine I Follis for $4

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Andrew McMenamin, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

... I just reread the information about the honorific name Alamannicus. Apparently in AD 331 a letter mentiones Constantinus II as Alamannicus, whereas before he was known as Germanicus. I am not sure, but it seems that after the victories in the 320s he was given the honorific name Germanicus which was specified as Alamannicus a few years later. The book were I found this information is about the Alamannic and the point is that sometime in the 320s/330s the Romans started to recognize the Alamanni, which hitherto had only been recognized as Germani.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. greed ball

greed ball Active Member

Here is my Constantino Magnus minted for Spain in Siscia. Sun Feb 16 16-28-53.jpg Sun Feb 16 16-29-14.jpg

Marsyas Mike, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  4. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

5. greed ball

greed ball Active Member

Thank You for the Info, My mistake and now I can not delete the post.

6. greed ball

greed ball Active Member

Not meaning to interrupt this thread so I posted this Constantinus coin. Sun Feb 16 16-29-56.jpg Sun Feb 16 16-30-11.jpg

Johndakerftw, Orange Julius and Bing like this.
  7. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

the DEVICTA issue is one of my favorites.

some more info

This coin refers to a major victory over the Sarmatians in A.D. 322; which, however, was a big reason for the upcoming civil war with Licinius, since the territory the Sarmatians were fought in was under the control of Licinius, who viewed Constantine's actions as something of an invasion.

and some some ancient sources--

“When Constantine learned that the Sarmatians, who live near Lake Maeotis, had sailed across the Danube and were pillaging his territory, he led his army against them…he killed many, took more prisoners and put the rest to flight.” Zosimus 2:21

"Licinius did not accept the gold coinage on which Constantine emblazoned his victory against the Sarmatians, but melted it down and converted it to other uses, giving no answer to those who faulted him with regard to this than that he did not wish foreign affairs to have a place in domestic business."

Petrus Patricius (circa A.D. 500- 565) The Lost History of Peter the Patrician F 208

and though only officially struck for Constantine I, a few years ago I found this unofficial issue with a Helena obverse.

SARMATIA_Helena.jpg

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  8. Tejas

Tejas Well-Known Member

That is a nice find. These unofficial mints didn't really care much about the correct paring of dies. The fact that a coin with a Helena portrait was used as a model for the issue is rather unusual. I have never seen that before.

Draft saved Draft deleted