New Connecticut 2 dollar bill. Collect all 50 states?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collect89, Mar 1, 2010.

1. chip

chip Novice collector

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

[​IMG] There are alot of fish in the sea, don't be one of them...

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Of course they don't SHOW that and there have been others who have seen them in hand that say it IS printed on the note. Even if it is on a film, if it is bound to the paper of the note and not easily removable without damaging the note it is still illegal.

5. abe

Whats the difference between altering paper money and coins? Just curious because coins are altered all the time; hobo nickels, encased coins...

6. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

The same people that buy gold/silver/platinum plated and painted/silkscreened coins.

Altering US coins/currency with the intent is to defraud is illegal. Whether or not pasting a picture over the portrait is intent is up to the courts.

But, you used to be able to (still can?) buy Elvis, Santa etc notes in many coin stores.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It's a matter of how the laws are written. Laws dealing with altering/mutilating coins all state that it is illegal if there is intent to defraud. But the laws referring to the currency state that altering/mutilating the currency is illegal if it renders it unfit for reissuing. So with paper money even if there is no intent to defraud, it is still illegal.

8. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

I sit corrected. (I don't stand when I play with the computer!)

Thanks!

9. abe

Thank You for the info...

10. SCPharmacist

SCPharmacist Junior Member

Same scam appeared in Greenville News in Sunday Edition on April 18th 2010.

11. mkwelbornjr

mkwelbornjr Junior Member

I purchased a few of these for my state. I mean they are just a novelty and are decently well done. The image is printed on the note but with some type of high quality thin film transfer. I guess one could take it off but it would be tough. BTW some states are selling on Ebay for $70 each...so there is a market for these novelties. I wouldn't call it a scam as they make it clear that these are 1) privately overprinted 2) not affiliated with the US government. The rest of the fluff in the ad is called advertising and its something every one does..."our toothpaste cleans 20% better than the competition."

These notes make great gifts and are fun. No different than colorized coins. The people who like these aren't interested in rare serious coins. Just because someone likes a colorized bill rather than some $500 professionally graded item doesn't make them a sucker. There will always be a consumer who buys into anything...even modern US mint commems expecting an investment that is dissapointed. They aren't really into it for the fun of the hobby.

12. mkwelbornjr

Perhaps the BEP should take note that the public would like commemorative bills. For now we can order from creative private entities or take the politically correct commems the US mint produces.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The problem is it is MUCH more difficult to create a new design plate for the currency than it is to create a new design die for the coinage. Creation of a new portrait can easily take a master intaglio steel plate engraver a year or more. It takes years of apprenticeship to become a master engraver and there aren't more than a handful of such engravers in the country. It is a dying art. Trying to change designs very often is not really possible.

14. mkwelbornjr

World Reserve Monetary Exchange does come up with some interesting presentations. I was emailed this today...I am on the email list after ordering the $2 bills for my state...which everyone likes that I have given them to as small gifts.
    http://www.wrmepromos.com/hawaii/index.cfm?dropcode=ESP0710

As a private mint fan...I am enjoying some new programming from the Franklin Mint. The National Park Quarter program is great. You get two BU and 3 enhanced..for a price cheaper than the US Mint charges for some packaged sets. http://www.franklinmint.com/product1.aspx?SID=2&Product_ID=10018

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. mkwelbornjr

I purchased a couple of these for my state. They are novelties and fun just for that reason. I see no harm. The ad states they are privately overprinted. I doubt the profit margin on these items is any higher than on an i-phone, laptop, or any other item purchased at any retailer.

Draft saved Draft deleted