New collector needing some help

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by NewCollectorRick, Jan 16, 2017.

1. NewCollectorRick

NewCollectorRick Active Member

Hello all. My name is Rick and I am new to collecting. I have what I think are some good coins but learning the hard way about some. Anyone willing to help me out by identifying some with errors would be greatly appreciated.
    Trying to determine if I have just been staring at coins for too many days and going crazy or if actual errors.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Welcome Rick. Upload some pics so that we may help you. Welcome to the forum old fellow......:) Not that you're that old.....like me. :)

NewCollectorRick likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Welcome to CoinTalk
    Important thing is to always provide large, clear pictures. Both sides always!
    We will do our best to help you.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  5. NewCollectorRick

0116172118a.jpg 0116172116.jpg 0116172116.jpg 0116172118.jpg Ok. I have a lot of coins I have questions with. I will start with this one. Its a 1974-s cent that looks like a metallic color at certain angles and doubled S. I found something about an rpmp from 1974. Just checking to see if this could be one and the metallic color I've seen on several coins. It's almost like a blue when light hits at certain angles its really visible.

Attached Files:

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Possibly an RPM but definitely run over by a truck......

7. NewCollectorRick

There is also a coin that I have and I know I am not crazy but there is a reverse of a quarter on the face of a 1983 D penny. You can see the edge of the coin. There is an A in the G of GOD. The wings and such are in the chest, shoulders of Lincoln and side of head. There are numbers in neck and edge of coin runs up through the date on the 1983 penny. Ill post it next.

8. NewCollectorRick

Lol. Yes something ran it over. I'm going through bank boxes and it caught my eye. I've been using the Lincoln Cent Resource for my coins to look for and the 74 just caught my eye. From what I read there was an rpmp that year is the only reason I brought it up. Thanks for your help. I appreciate all I get.

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Most likely a Vise Job or Sandwich Job coin. When 2 coins are crushed together.. You are not crazy but the person who did it is :wacky:

10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I havnt checked any other sites but
    www.varietyvista.com doesn't show an rpm for 74S. I would guess a well placed hit PMD

11. NewCollectorRick

12. NewCollectorRick

Even with the rings showing multiple coins it seems?

13. NewCollectorRick

Or was it sitting in someone's cup holder too long. Ha. With a little soda on it. Looks like mint damage to me but I am the new Old guy.

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. NewCollectorRick

It wasn't an rpm it was rare rpmp. Ill find the site where I found it and send you the link on the 74.

15. NewCollectorRick

Here is another coin I received as change at a store that I think is a doubled die. The way it's been going they are usually machine doubled coins but this one I feel the strongest about being a legit double. I have been reading books and doing research but this coin collecting is quite tricky and loads of information to retain. 0116172151_HDR.jpg 0116172151a.jpg 0116172151.jpg 0116172150b.jpg 0116172150a.jpg 0116172150.jpg 0116172149b.jpg 0116172149.jpg 0116172147.jpg

16. Pickin and Grinin

here is what I got when I looked up acronyms RPMP
    RPMP
    Acronym Definition
    RPMP ReinforcedPlasticMortarPipe
    RPMP RegisteredProjectManagementProfessional(InternationalProjectManagementAssociationclassification)
    RPMP RadiationPortalMonitoringProject(USDHS)
    RPMP ReactorPlantMasterProcessor
    RPMP RealPropertyManagementPlan
    RPMP RelaxedPosturalMandibularPosition(dentistry)
    Copyright 1988-2014AcronymFinder.com, All rights reserved.

It definitely isn't a Coin term.

17. NewCollectorRick

I got you. I saw it on Variety Vista sorry about that. I'm learning. Here's the article. Screenshot_2017-01-16-22-08-44.png Screenshot_2017-01-16-22-08-26.png

18. Pickin and Grinin

I am gonna say that your 65 has some lds PMD.

19. Pickin and Grinin

20. NewCollectorRick

Gotcha. I do appreciate it. I have such a huge pile of coins that I have questions with. I don't want anyone thinking I'm just throwing pics on and wanting people to do the work for me. I've been doing a lot of research and just hard to figure some of this out. Only been collecting for month and a half maybe. Ill get there.

21. NewCollectorRick

Don't feel bad. Its obviously a very rare thing that its only been called this for that specific die. Do you think this coin could be that or just an rpm

Draft saved Draft deleted