New collection idea

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinBlazer, Apr 23, 2018.

1. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Thought of doing a 70 coin collection of any Lincoln cent starting at PO1 and all the way to MS70. I heard there are few MS70s but i will try my best to get a penny of each possible grade, Maybe each type of details grade also.
    What do you think?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Very interesting idea, I like it. Though it wouldn't have 70 coins as grades like 27, 46, 52 are rounded to the nearest 5 except for a few lower and AU+ grades. Each type of details grade would be fun too. I suppose you could do it with any coin, not just lincoln cents.

4. CoinBlazer

Wait what do you mean rounding of grades?

5. CoinBlazer

U right. Only 30 Different grades

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There's no MS 70s currently certified by PCGS and only a handful of dates have 69s but if 2003 P would be the cheapest 69. People do like doing grading sets like that, your biggest issue will be that the wheats will be the easiest for the circulation grades but super expensive in upper MS, while the shield will be super impossible in circulation grades but affordable in the MS ones for the most part.

7. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

That's, as far as I know, called a grading set. I was just thinking about this the other day as I was looking at my graded 1941 S Large S Jefferson Nickels - I've pretty much got the top 3 already (67-65) plus another few that could easily help fill in the other UNC grades. Of course, finding a 68 would be near impossible, and a 69-70 definitely impossible.

8. CoinBlazer

Thinking of doing a mix of wheat memorial and shield. BUT WAIT. What about the MS70 first strike 2017S?

9. baseball21

There's a few Satin SP 70s but they probably won't be that cheap. There's no business strike 70s in any series that I can think of for circulation series

10. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Is it possible to get a graded P01? Is it even worth getting a coin that bad graded unless it is an extreme rarity? And if it is not graded how do you determine it is P01.

Interesting idea though.

11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The beauty of this hobby is that it is yours to make or as you please. As long as one understands the facts/realities behind what they're collecting, there's simply no right or wrong about it.

If a grading set is what you'd like to do, I say go for it. However, and as the others have said, if completing it is a must you may want to rethink. Good luck either way. :)

Kentucky likes this.
  12. baseball21

Yes

Yes, lowball collecting is a very real thing and PO1 can have huge premiums

The same way with any other grade

YoloBagels likes this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Not really a new idea. It's been around a long time. It's called a "grading set".

14. JayF

JayF Active Member

That's an expensive project, isn't it 15.00/coin to get it graded? Interesting though, I'd root for you to find the right coins and complete the project if you can afford it!

Now I have to go research/look for P01 graded coins, I didn't know they grade that low. I'm curious what they look like.

15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Good project. But as others pointed out, those lowball set grades can carry idiotic — in my opinion — premiums.

Draft saved Draft deleted