New coin from CNG 334

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by nathanj485, Sep 4, 2014.

1. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. nathanj485

nathanj485 Active Member

Awesome coin AncientJoe and excellent write up!

4. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

That is a nice (& really old) coin Nathanj.

Yep, I've got a CNG auction story to share. Last Wednesday we were snorkeling at a place called Christmas Cove when my phone reminded me the auction was closing. I frantically dried my fingers & captured enough cell signal to make my bid from the boat. (Success :)). I'll post the coin when it arrives.

Ardatirion, zumbly and Jwt708 like this.
  5. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Heh, nice.
    Forget the fish! There's a coin on the "line". :D

zumbly, TIF and Collect89 like this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Back to the 12 set: How many that posted regarding this set before Whizb4ng outted the fake Caligula had read the description or suspected the coin? I found this set unusual in tht there ws some effort made to match the quality of the coins rather than have a nice Domitian and a raunchy Caesar. The holder type was popular several decades ago so I suspect those coins have been together for quite a while.

I have mentioned many times before that I have no desire to have a 'set' of anything. It happens that I have a coin of each of the 12 but don't think of them as a set. All you who do vale your 'set' should stop and thank Suetonius for not writing a chapter on Clodius Macer!

I completely forgot about the sale. There was a coin I liked but I wasted my money elsewhere so I would not have won it anyway.

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

To each his own as the saying goes. I set out over thirty years ago to collect the 12 Caesars so I was and still am very happy to have completed the set. I am always looking for upgrades within my budget and will probably do so till I die. Then it will be someone else's problem or trophy (I suspect problem since no one else in my family has any interest).

The Caligula coin stood out like a soar thumb as the description indicated. I still insist the Claudius/Agrippina is the best in the set.

zumbly and Eng like this.
  8. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Shoot I missed it the first time I looked at it too. Of course I didn't look that close because the last time I had that much money was when my student loan came in and I had to pay tuition the next day!

Don't forget Vindex as well!

Someday I will have a 12 Caesars set. Not necessarily because Suetonius wrote of them but because they were the ones who captured my imagination as a kid long before I had even read my first snippet of Suetonius.

Bing likes this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree it is the best even though I really would like to see the coin weighed and examined with a microscope to rule out the possibility of it being fourree. It almost bothers me as being too nice for the set which is otherwise quite low end. I suppose that makes me overly suspicious. I would think that it would bring more separated from the set.

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

If it is not a fouree, it is the only coin of the 12 which could make the set worth the asking price IMHO. There are some others, i.e. the Otho, that could bring a fair asking price if sold separately.

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I am with Doug. A "set" of anything doesn't do anything for me, unless it's something like a group showing gradual barbarization of a certain series. I do have a set of anonymous bronzes, but that is because I like all of them, so wanted them all, not because of the "set" designation.

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Gawd!! .... buying a "complete set, or collection" is pretty darn weak where I'm comin' from!!

=> man, the coolest part of a coin collection is the good ol' "hunt and trigger"!! (that's the rush!!)

In "my opinion" (often disregarded) => buying somebody else's rush is quite lame (brick by brick => build that lousy wall!!)

13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Geez, the Caligula doesn't even pretend to look like the real thing. Who forged that piece of crap? And why would someone want it in their collection? This isn't my coin, but I have to post it just to get the bad taste out of my mouth...

caligula.jpg

Collect89, Bing and stevex6 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted