New coin from CNG 334

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by nathanj485, Sep 4, 2014.

1. nathanj485

nathanj485 Active Member

I won this coin from the CNG auction yesterday. I fell in love with this coin type after AncientJoes's interesting write up. My example is quite inferior to AncientJoe's but it's still a beautiful coin in my eyes and quite the bargain IMO. image.jpg Anyone else have interesting purchases from the last auction they would like to share?

Gil-galad, Peter T Davis, Eng and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I didn't bid on the last auction, but nice find!

nathanj485 likes this.
  4. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Not from me, but I have been eying CNG auctions a lot lately. Drooling and what not.
    Ahem, that's besides the point. That's a really nice lookin' piece right there! :happy:

nathanj485 likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Congratulations! The type is also high on my buy list.

I failed in my bidding attempts in CNG's most recent catalog auction. There will always be more though :)

nathanj485 likes this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

congrats nat...that's a cool coin. I haven't tried a CNG auction...I think I will for my fall coin purchase.

nathanj485 likes this.
  7. nathanj485

nathanj485 Active Member

Thanks...btw I visited ur website for the first time....awesome collection you have!

TIF likes this.
  8. nathanj485

nathanj485 Active Member

I enjoy the CNG auctions. There is always at least one piece that piques my interest every auction. Fast shipping and good customer service as well.

9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks, Nathan!

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey nathan => that's a sweet archaic example (ummm, can you please list a few more coin-details, so I can edgacate myself?) ... thanks dude

... man, I love those cool ol' incuse punches (congrats)

nathanj485 likes this.
  11. nathanj485

nathanj485 Active Member

CARIA, Kaunos. Circa 490-470 BC. AR Stater (20mm, 11.68 g). Winged female figure (possibly Isis) in kneeling-running stance left, head right, holding kerykeion and wreath / Rough triangular shape within crude incuse square. Konuk Period I (uncertain dies); SNG Keckman 810; SNG von Aulock 2344. This info is directly from the CNG specs of this coin.

If anyone has any examples of this coin type please post em!!!!

stevex6 likes this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thanks for the info .... sadly, I don't have a Kaunos example to post here

=> cool coin

13. Aidan_()

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

From the looks of the coins, it is probably well worth the asking price. However, buying a set, to me, takes away the fun of the hunt.

TIF and Aidan_() like this.
  15. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Completely agree. Although it takes a lot longer to complete a collection one coin at a time, each coin acquired tends to have a personal appeal that's not quite the same as acquiring a full set in one purchase.

On the other hand, a complete set allows the collector to selectively upgrade those coins that don't appeal to him/her while still enjoying the "gestalt" of knowing that if that special coin isn't found, there's no rush to acquire a lesser coin just to fill out the set.

16. Bing

I hadn't thought about that. And, there are a couple of nice coins in that set. Hmmmmm

17. Aidan_()

Now let's not get ahead of ourselves...

18. Bing

Don't worry. Even with a couple of coins I would like to have, I couldn't bid. The best in the set, however, is the Claudius (and I WOULD like it).

19. Aidan_()

And then you can sell the ones you don't like/want.

20. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

21. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

It is too bad in the 12 Caesar set the Caligula is a modern forgery. The hunt would be on for an authentic example

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted