New coin form wish list checked - ISTROS

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ambr0zie, Nov 13, 2021.

1. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Hello ladies and gentlemen,
    I managed to get another coin I wanted for quite some time - an Istros with young male heads, one being inverted (Castor and Pollux?!)
    I find these iconic and unique in design.
    Found various Istros coins in many auctions, but they were either too expensive or too ugly.
    This is a good compromise.
    upload_2021-11-13_20-11-17.png
    I particularly liked the good centering, on both sides and the details are still there.

Described as Moesia. Istrus circa 420-390 BC.
    Obol AR 12 mm, 0,77 g

Now - I would need some help in attributing it as the only 2 obols listed on Wildwinds are having the eagle and dolphin facing left.

It seems quite similar to the entry "Dima III-VII-5"
    https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/thrace/istros/t.html
    upload_2021-11-13_20-17-15.png
    Also matching ΔI under the dolphin (but no O on the dolphin's head). And this is a drachm not an obol.

I would appreciate some help in attributing as I couldn't find something on acsearch or coinarchives.

And, of course, please post your Istros coins.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    galba68, Struck7, Edessa and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Very cool! As a Gemini I'm forced to collect the Dioscuri's coins:
    1824421_1618170446.l-removebg-preview (1).png IMG_0638(1).PNG

galba68, Struck7, Edessa and 14 others like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Congrats, @ambr0zie ...

[​IMG]
    Moesia Istros AR Drachm 19mm 5.9g 4th C BCE Facing male hds inverted - Sea Eagle dolphin K Rausch 19 17

Struck7, Edessa, TIF and 9 others like this.
  5. ambr0zie

So the obverse similar to my obol, @Alegandron (left head inverted) but the eagle and the dolphin are facing left on yours. I am still searching.

Alegandron likes this.
  6. catadc

catadc Well-Known Member

PeteB and ambr0zie like this.
  7. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I haven't tried to research the type, but the right-facing eagle and dolphin are new to me. Have you tried looking in the online SNG UK? See http://www.sylloge-nummorum-graecorum.org/

Here's my one example:

Thrace, Istros. 400-350 BCE. AR Drachm. Obv. Two facing male heads, left head inverted / Rev: Sea eagle on dolphin (both left), ISTRIH [partially off flan] above eagle, globule under eagle’s tail; letter “A” ligatured with [archaic Π with shortened right stem, or sideways Γ ?] beneath dolphin. SNG.BM.249 [Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, Great Britain, Volume IX, British Museum, Part 1: The Black Sea (London, 1993)] [online ID SNGuk_0901_0249 with Rev. Monogram No. 49]; AMNG I/I No. 417 var. [no globule], see also No. 422 [Pick, Behrendt, Die antiken Münzen von Dacien und Moesien, Die antiken Münzen Nord-Griechenlands Vol. I/I (Berlin, 1898) at pp. 161-162]; BMC 3 Thrace No. 6 var. [no globule] [Poole, R.S., ed. A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, The Tauric Chersonese, Sarmatia, Dacia, Moesia, Thrace, etc., Vol. 3 (London, 1877) at p. 25]; Seaby 1669 var. [Sear, David, Greek Coins & their Values, Vol. I: Europe (Seaby 1978)]. 19 mm., 5.36 g.

Istros - drachm - Inverted heads - Eagle attacking dolphin.jpg

galba68, Struck7, Edessa and 9 others like this.
  8. ambr0zie

I am checking in BMC Thrace as I added another coin I wanted - a Chersonesos hemidrachm and that is also challenging.
    Superb coin, @DonnaML . And others also.
    I haven't studied Istros coins and I was only aware there are differences in the obverse and reverse monograms.

@catadc - the coin posted there by @dougsmit is similar but not identical. Reverse monogram lacks the I.

DonnaML likes this.
  9. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

@Ryro 's specimen is probably the only one dating around 400BC, all other look more at home ca. 300 or later.

Ryro likes this.
  10. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

11. ambr0zie

The closest match I could find is AMNG 440.
    upload_2021-11-13_23-53-33.png

But this is a drachm.
    Any help is truly appreciated.

12. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Forget AMNG, it's worthless for fractional coinage. Your coin is Dima GIV sgVII II (fraction) ca. 280-256/5 (reference is M. Dima - Monedele de argint ale cetăţii Istros în epoca elenistică, SCN XVI)

Untitled11.jpg

Kavax, Marsyas Mike, Ryro and 3 others like this.
  13. ambr0zie

Fantastic, @seth77. Thank you.
    Mr Mihai Dima is Romanian, like me. But today was the first time I heard about him or his work, when I was searching for the coin.

DonnaML and Ryro like this.
  14. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Is that in Romanian? Edited to add: sorry; didn't see the previous comment.

ambr0zie likes this.
  15. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Local researchers have the best insight on these issues and what's most important their research is up to date, unlike old international catalogs.

Yes Donna, it's not really that indiscernible if you are a Francophone and also know Italian and some Latin.

DonnaML and ambr0zie like this.
  16. ambr0zie

Yep, it is. Quite strange to read a reference in my own language :D

DonnaML likes this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

18. Kavax

Kavax Well-Known Member

An interesting reference on Istros coinage is the catalog "First Auction", Auction 1 Geneva 2012 where was dispersed a collection of more than 450 coins of Istros.

Only Drachms, trihemiobols and hemiobols seem to have been struck. I think that your coin @ambr0zie is a "light" trihemiobol maybe due to corrosion and the edge chip.(some trihemiobols on the catalog weight arround 0.8g)

My hemiobol of the Group I circa 480-380 BC

Istros.jpg

galba68, Struck7, Edessa and 7 others like this.
  19. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

20. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

great coin @ambr0zie, I like the details on your coin.
    I have a small bronze eagle / dolphin coin.
    DSCN5674 sol.JPG DSCN5677.JPG

I like the size comparison of my eagle dolphin coins.
    DSCN5697.JPG DSCN5700.JPG

galba68, Struck7, Edessa and 5 others like this.
  21. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

The Archaic hemiobol of @Kavax is extraordinary, certainly the best I have ever seen and the the Helios copper is not too bad either. Helios obverses are scarcer than the regular Apollo obverses and river god Istros obverses.

Draft saved Draft deleted