New Claudius coin, Claudius and Saturnalia and Eh, Claudius, a great read with a sadly modern stain

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Thrilled to recieve this sweet fella only a week after finishing I, Claudius and Claudius the clod;)
    (My beef is primarily with the sequel).
    Ps, talk about a leggy and voluptuous Athena :shame:

Their pics:
    Screenshot_20201117-202907_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png

My pics:
    Screenshot_20201124-171714_PicCollage-removebg-preview.png
    In Claudius the God they mention Claudius extending Saturnalia the entire year:confused:
    What a world that would be:happy:...
    Snip20171213_6.png
    As I recall, Cassius Dio reported that, "Augustus attempted to curb the Saturnalia festivities by cutting the festival back to its proper length. However, this three-day limit did not last long. For Emperor Claudius once again extended the Saturnalia to five days. Even if he had not, people had paid no attention to Augustus’s dictates and had continued their Saturnalia festivities for a whole week."
    Just as we all should:cigar::kiss::greedy::woot::wideyed::)
    ebaa6c2f140327a882111c2fa50a47df--historical-fiction-yule.jpg feasting.gif

As far as the books that I just read for the first time:facepalm:(relax it's fiction and I usually only read RE Howard, Lovecraft... oh, and king when it comes to fiction):bucktooth:
    I, Claudius was a great time:woot:
    Claudius the God was fun but...
    It's frustrating that Graves felt the need in the sequel to apply modern expressions of racism to the ancient Roman's. Even going so far as using the word that should only follow Pescennius.
    Very frustrating, as we know the ancient Roman's never let color of skin be a reason for anybody to be a slave. It was simply a matter of situation.

Please post your Claudius (or any ancient coin really), thoughts on saturnalia, foxy Athenas or really good ancient fiction recommendations.

galba68, Herodotus, DonnaML and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Ryro, That's a starling difference in photos :jawdrop:! The coin pictured below I sent to CNG for auction. It should appear sometime in late December.

Antioch, Claudius, AE 25 mm.jpg

dlhill132, galba68, DonnaML and 12 others like this.
  4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..kool koin Ryro.....(& yeah...Athena be lQQkin' sexy:woot:)... it's christmas time in heaven.jpg christmas time in heaven 2.jpg

5. Ryro

Thanks Al! Dazzling portrait of Claudius the lover (surely would have been the name of the third novel).
    Yes, though my pics are a bit dark, it's much more that frosty green patination, then that yellow looking (sandy) patina.

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Claudius!! This one doesn't feature a leggy and voluptious Athena, but a lithe and elegant Libertas:

[​IMG]
    Claudius, AD 41-54.
    Roman Æ as, 10.86 g, 28.3 mm, 7 h.
    Rome, AD 42.
    Obv: TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TR P IMP P P, bare head, left.
    Rev: LIBERTAS AVGVSTA SC,Libertas standing right.
    Refs: RIC 113; BMCRE 202-5; Cohen 47; CBN 230-2; RCV 1860.

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Well done, @Ryro . Great coin, would enjoy having it in my collection!

CLAUDIUS The Big Eye.

[​IMG]
    RI Claudius 41-54 Ae As 28mm LIBERTAS AVGVSTA holding pileus S-C RIC 113

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

We may not be quite where we have the whole year but where I live we have TWO different radio stations playing nothing but Christmas music. Unfortunately neither of them has a particularly good collection of recordings so they repeat a lot. I believe there are enough Christmas song variations to play all year without repeating. Check You Tube if you doubt that.
    New today (and not the only one):

DonnaML, Ryro, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  9. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Wow @Ryro . Nice coin and much better photo than the seller pic. It’s too bad that we don’t have a surviving copy of the real I, Claudius written by the man himself. THAT would have been a quite interesting read.

As to sexy Athenas I’m going to have to throw this one out there since Athena is struttin around this reverse like she’s in a Victoria Secret Fashion Show.
    523646A5-3EE5-4B7D-A539-BDAD9F993D64.jpeg

Johndakerftw, Bing, Spaniard and 3 others like this.
  10. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

My most recent purchase (and very likely my last purchase for this year) was a lot of 13 worn coins. I am not very picky but this time I wasn't 100% happy. Nevertheless, it contains 2 Claudius examples.
    upload_2020-11-25_9-48-5.png
    The reverse is in very bad shape but I suspect this is the same coin as the first one in the thread - RIC I Claudius 116

The second one is also below par
    upload_2020-11-25_9-50-27.png

RIC Claudius 94 from my findings.

One that is more on the decent side

upload_2020-11-25_9-52-36.png

Provincial of Phrygia, Aizanis, RPC 3089 or 3090.

11. Ryro

Very nice! And only a year into his reign:singing:
    That's another "handsome" portrait of claudius. The same man whoms mother said that he was a monster that was a half finished man:(

Roman Collector likes this.
  12. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Same as the one from Ryro in the OP

Claudius as.jpg

13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted