New cast fakes arriving on ebay

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, May 9, 2021.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

As an advanced collector, who knows far more than I do, you can spot these fakes. The trouble is corroded copper or bronze can take on the look of cast pieces and get by the less well informed. It’s one of the reasons why I have stuck almost exclusively to silver coins and maybe some day, gold.

The lone exception in my collection is a Caligula AS because the silver coins are so expensive. The two pieces I did find at the shows were priced at over $6,000 and had surfaces that been extensively worked over.

DonnaML likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Constantius II FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Constantinople.

As you can see... not much effort has been expended in the casting process.

Const II FTR.jpg
    Const II FTR 2.jpg

4. maridvnvm

VIRTVS EXERCIT, Siscia

COnstantius II 2.jpg
    COnstantius II.jpg

5. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

Ancients eBay has barely anything in the Greek section that are not egregious fakes, replica's, tourist tat etc that to me are obvious. Luckily my area of expertise I'm have no problems with, but really ancients eBay has really hit the dirt.

DonnaML likes this.
  6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I have had neophyte dealers tell me about buying a bunch of ancient coins only to find out that all of them are fakes. Of course, when you do a Google search and find coins offered for less than $20 when the legitimate dealers are asking hundreds, you might think that one's truth detector would set an alarm.

Nicholas Molinari, TIF and DonnaML like this.
  7. maridvnvm

Probus, Rome, Temple, AEQVITI coded.

One of the fakes broke and they still sell it.....

Probus AEQVITI 2.jpg
    Probus AEQVITI.jpg

8. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I never understood FTR fakes. Those are about the most common coins possible.

9. maridvnvm

Maximinum II, IOVI, Nicomedia

Maximinus IOVI 2.jpg
    Maximinus IOVI.jpg

10. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

This is great - many thanks for posting!

11. maridvnvm

i thought that it would be worth seeing a few coins that I find guilty by association, where I have yet to identify a twin. I will be watching for twins emerging..... I am still working my way through hundreds of images.

Constantius II CAMP.jpg
    CTG SOLI.jpg
    Crispus Principi.jpg

12. LukeGob

LukeGob Well-Known Member

Wow. Just wow. Thank you very much. Scary. Too easy to assume the cheaper types aren't worth the trouble to faking & let your guard down. I guess if you produce enough, maybe. Really good work. Any chance on outing the seller/s? Seriously, if there's anything I (& I imagine more than few others would be willing too) can do to help, just name it.

13. maridvnvm

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  14. maridvnvm

Three more.

Claudius II Gothicus - Consecratio

CIIG CONS 2.jpg CIIG CONS.jpg
    Probus - RIC 911

Probus 911 2.jpg Probus 911.jpg

Maximinus II Daia - VIRTVS

Maximinus VIRTVS 2.jpg Maximinus VIRTVS.jpg

15. JulesUK

JulesUK Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting these @maridvnvm and also the eBay usernames (Added to my extensive list).
    I am always very wary of new ebay sellers. The second seller on your list also had a negative review where the buyer stated it was a modern fake.....!!

16. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

More than likely these are coming out of eastern Europe. Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria to name a few countries where large quantities of counterfeits are being produced.
    Edit~ I see another poster has already mentioned Bulgaria, in a more detailed post than mine :shame:

17. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Do the Chinese even make fake ancient Roman coins? They’re experts at fake Asian coins obviously

18. maridvnvm

Mates to the Campgate and the Crispus PRINCIPI have arrived already....

Constantius II CAMP 2.jpg
    Crispus Principi 2.jpg

DonnaML likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted