Featured New Carolingian acquisition

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ValiantKnight, Mar 30, 2014.

1. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

But notice that in both the crown covers his bald spot.:D

ValiantKnight likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

LOL how'd I not notice that? That's clever what they did there :D

4. ValiantKnight

I received the two pieces of the coin today. Unfortunately either the travel must have been rough on the package or the seller damaged it further when handling it because as soon as I (lightly) put the large piece in my hand, part of the edge broke! I didn't know it at the time, but that particular piece would be one source of my trouble when putting it back together.

The coin's thinness and shape complicated the reconstruction, as I tried a couple of different ways on applying the super glue, without any success. And despite it only breaking off an hour or so earlier, the edge piece was not fitting evenly into the space it detached itself from (for the record I was attaching the piece correctly in relation to the rest of the coin). I finally settled on using a q-tip to apply the glue, and with great precision I reunited the three pieces back together.

The edge piece still didn't completely attach the way I wanted it to but this was the best I could do and frankly I think I did ok for my first coin reconstruction :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

aaawwwww, that sucks Jango ... man, that must sting a bit, eh? (sorry dude)

=> yah, I once had a cool octopus-coin returned from being authenticated at David Sear's Ranch and it was busted in half ...... *sigh* ...... and I still keep the original photo and pretend that the "mail service" is trust-worthy, but sadly if you close your eyes and imagine how many times your package changes hands, it's quite a nasty reality!!

... again => that sucks ... I'm sorry to hear that your coin got damaged

6. ValiantKnight

Its all good now, steve :) Did some coin reconstruction (imagine what this poor coin must've thought when it found out it was my first time performing coin surgery :eek::D) and its looking as good as its ever going to get. I love teh history and by extension the coins of this era and couldn't pass a rare one like this for cheap, so I have no regrets. And by fixing it up, I feel like I have left my own mark on this historical artifact :).

Sorry to hear about your coin steve :( At least its in a loving home :)

stevex6 likes this.
  7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Jango => well, I'm extremely glad to hear that you were able to Frankenstein that poor ol' coin back together again ... it lives ...

=> IT LIVES!!!

Frank Lucius.jpg

ValiantKnight likes this.
  8. ValiantKnight

Lol thanks Steve. Frankenstein himself looks like something from the Dark Ages lol

stevex6 likes this.
  9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh dang..something must have happed in transit. those thin silvers are nerve-wracking to hold sometimes...I worry about damaging them.

10. laughton

laughton New Member

I'd like to acquire some Carolingian pieces myself, but I think I'd start with buying Morrison and Grunthal first. The coins aren't cheap, and I won't drop a wad of cash on something I know very little about.

11. ValiantKnight

I know what you mean chrsmat; I'm always extra careful with my Carolingian and other thin silvers. Makes me feel fortunate that the passage of time was not more rougher on them!

12. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Like the coin; 2 thumbs up!!
    Really cool history; like the maps!

13. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Like the coin; 2 thumbs up!!
    Really cool history; like the maps!

14. ValiantKnight

Glad you like, thanks TJC!

Draft saved Draft deleted