New Caracalla Tetradrachm- Phoenicia/Tyre

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Shea19, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

I picked up this Caracalla tetradrachm from the Naville auction last month, and after a hold-up in customs, it finally arrived last week. I really love the portrait on this one, and I always enjoy the tets from the Eastern mints...at 27mm and 13.7g, it is HUGE compared to his denarii.

AD88F656-79A0-4B81-8999-573948C2D03A.jpeg

Caracalla, AR Tetradrachm, circa 208-212, Phoenicia (Tyre) mint, (27mm., 13.70g)
    Laureate head of Caracalla r./Rev. Eagle standing facing on club r., head and tail l., with wings spread, holding wreath in beak; between legs, murex shell. Prieur 1535.
    Ex Naville Numismatics, Auction 50

I especially like this portrait because he looks so realistic. On most of his later coins, Caracalla always portrayed himself as the tough guy soldier-emperor with a huge chip on his shoulder and a permanent scowl on his face. But this portrait is different than the usual style. In this one, to me, he looks more like he probably actually was: a nasty, entitled, spoiled brat; someone who had the whole world handed to him but still couldn’t bring himself to share anything with his kid brother. Very happy to add this one to the collection.

So please post your large Roman tets, or any coins of Caracalla.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Justin Lee, TIF, Nathan401 and 20 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

Definitely an interestingly detailed and well rendered portrait, he looks better suited for playing World of Warcraft and gobbling hotpockets in his mom's basement than ruling an empire!

Justin Lee and Shea19 like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Elagabalus AR tetradrachm, Syria - Antioch

elag1.jpg

elag2.jpg

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That’s a nice portrait & coin all around. Very nice.

Shea19 likes this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'm not 100% clear on the lines dividing the 'spoiled brat' look from the 'tough guy' look but he definitely would rather kill you than look at you. You are right to be happy with this coin. I don't usually go for collecting in sets but a set of these by mint city would be an accomplishment (be sure to get all the lefties along the way).

Beroea (too many tets lose legends to centering but I am a sucker for lefties)
    pm1380bb1044.jpg

Antioch left (I wish I could find more of these worn or flat like this - it reduces the competition from those who collect by grade)
    pm1385bb3030.jpg

Antioch right (boringly common but it was my first in 1990)
    pm1390bb0424.jpg
    Cyprus
    pm1395fd3376.jpg

7. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I have one of Geta from the mint of Tyre Prieur 1537 13.38 grms tyretgeta2.JPG

8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Here's mine a lefty:

[​IMG]

What about left facing are special or is it preference?

Shea19, Justin Lee, randygeki and 5 others like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Preference and there are not quite as many engraved in lesser style as I see it. Style judgement includes a dose of preference. I was once told by a dealer expert/jerk that the only Severan mint to collect was Rome because the others were all barbarous. Art critics tell us that they know everything on a regular basis. I pity those who buy art they don't like because someone else told them to. If all art means to you is investment, we have nothing to discuss. Preferences are not always easy to explain and need not be shared by all concerned. I have always had a preference for the styles of some provincial mints. Of course my favorite is Alexandria but I do not own a tetradrachm of Caracalla from there. Below is my drachm. I would prefer it didn't have the cracks but the coin's greatest fault (to my preferences) is the weak B? on the reverse right (LKB date). Emmett lists about 20 Caracalla tetradrachm reverses of Alexandria. All are R5. I have seen none.
    pa1500fd3427.jpg

10. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the explanation.

12. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Shea19, Great score ;)! The celators working at the Tyre Mint were great craftsmen who engraved idealistic portraits with great detail. The reverse of your coin has a beautifully engraved eagle to complement the obverse, & the coin is a needle sharp strike. I sold the Tyre Tet pictured below at a Heritage auction,12.09 gm, 27 mm. Caracalla appears more pensive in this portrait than usually seen in a Tyre portrait.

100_4863.JPG 100_4865.JPG

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice!

Shea19 likes this.
  14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Very interesting and artistic portrait and an unusually detailed and artistic reverse! Love the murex shell between the eagle's legs. Great combo, great coin. Congrats!

Shea19 likes this.
  15. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great coins all. Really have enjoyed looking at them.

Shea19 likes this.
  16. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Thanks Doug, you have some great examples there. I also don't really go for sets, but I'm sure I'll end up picking up a few more of these...each mint really has its own unique style. I especially like yours from Beroea, I love the look of the big radiate crown.

17. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Some beautiful coins from everyone in this thread, thanks for sharing!

Draft saved Draft deleted