New Caracalla Tetradrachm for my “Murderer’s Row”

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Shea19, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

I recently added a new tetradrachm of Caracalla from the last Leu auction. I thought it was a great portrait of the young emperor in his usual angry, nasty state.

2B7ED1EF-FF3A-442B-8A12-CA6D0E81DD6E.jpeg
    Caracalla, Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch, BI Tetradrachm (27 mm, 12.00g), 215-217 AD. AYT K M A ANTΩNЄINOC [CЄB] Laureate head of Caracalla to right. Rev. ΔHMAPX ЄΞ YΠATOC [T]O Δ Eagle with spread wings standing facing, head to right and holding wreath in beak; between the eagle's legs, star above cornucopiae. McAlee 693. Prieur 244.

I really enjoy the portraiture on Caracalla’s provincial tets, they tend to exaggerate his image as a cruel soldier-emperor who was not to be crossed. I added 2 of his tets from Phoenicia last year, which I’ve posted a few times, and I’ve decided to slowly but surely put together a subcollection of his provincial tets with as many mints and portrait styles as I can. It’s a work in progress, I’m just planning to continue to add examples that I like when they come up at the right price. Next on my list is a tet from one of the Beroea mints, some real beauties from there.

It’s definitely way too early to call this a subcollection, but here’s my “Murderers’ Row” of Caracalla tets for now.
    57F7FEF2-C473-43BC-9478-FF355E62DE1E.jpeg

Please share your favorite coins of Caracalla (provincial or imperial).

galba68, Restitutor, Ryro and 24 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Neat looking (if frowny) coins.

This denarius might be the only Caracalla I've owned, from my old 2007-08 collection. All I have of it is this small, wretched picture.

[​IMG]

galba68, Restitutor, Ryro and 10 others like this.
  4. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Here's a youthful portrait, from Antioch, purchased earlier this year.

D-Camera CaracallaI tetradrachm, youthful portrait, Antioch, 5-3-20.jpg

And a later portrait, from Emesa, Seleucis and Pieria, furrowed brow, pout and all (Roma purchase).

Caracalla Tetradrachm of Emesa, Seleucis andn Pieria, Roma purchase E-Sale 65.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    galba68, Restitutor, Ryro and 11 others like this.
  5. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the expressive, hatefull look of Caracalla on your coins. It's quite natural, unlike some other emperors having 'retouched' their portrait for their coins.

No tet, but an ant. Not a very aggressive looking portrait though.
    30.2.png

6. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

I have a Denerius with a 'craggy grimace'.....
    CARA.jpg

7. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Shea19, Congrats on a great score :D! I love the expression on Caracalla's face, he looks like someone pissed in his wine :hilarious:. That's an unusual mintmark on your coin too ;). I'll bet those 3 Tets feel good in your hand, don't they :smuggrin:? The Phoenician Tet on the left side has a stunning portrait :). Below are a few portrait Tets of Caracalla from my collection.

1883002-031 obv..jpg
    100_7071-1.jpg
    Prieur 1204 obv..JPG
    NGC 2101304-006.jpg

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It would be tempting to try for a set from the several mints used for these. I have very few.
    Beroea left
    pm1380bb1044.jpg

Antioch (eagle on leg of meat)
    pm1390bb0424.jpg

Antioch left
    pm1385bb3030.jpg

Akko Ptolemos? (eagle on wheat)
    pm1395fd3376.jpg

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice.

[​IMG]
    Caracalla (198 - 217 A.D.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    Mesopotamia, Carrhae
    O: AVT·K·M·A ANTONЄINOC ·C-EB · ·, laureate head of Caracalla right; two pellets beneath rear truncation.
    R: ΔΗΜΑΡΧ ΕΞ ΥΠΑΤΟ Δ, eagle standing facing on bucranium, dot to each side, wings spread, head right, wreath in beak.
    28mm
    17.10g
    Prieur 820, Bellinger 160, SGI 2701

Ex. Agora Auctions, lot 184, Sale 81

[​IMG]
    Caracalla (198 - 217 A.D.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    Laodicea ad Mare, Seleucis and Pieria
    O: AYT K M A ANTΩNEINOC CEB, laureate head right.
    R: ∆HMAPX EΞ YΠATOC TO ∆, facing eagle, head left holding wreath in beak, star between legs.
    27mm
    12.5g
    Prieur 1179

10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Angry looking Antoninianus:

caracalla.jpg

11. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Mat, At 17.10 gm that Carrhae Tet is a pretty hefty coin :jawdrop:! They must have used a forklift to put that one on the top die :hilarious:.

DonnaML, +VGO.DVCKS and Shea19 like this.
  12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That's one of the reasons I bought it. I didn't even buy it at the auction started, I found it on a search, I bought it on ebay and cheaper then Agora sold it for.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  13. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Decriminalize Lousy Pictures!!!!

Sulla80 likes this.
  14. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

That's a nice "dotted wing" example and great portrait with heavy brow. Here's my favorite Caracalla tetradrachm:
    Caracalla Damascus.jpg Coelesyria, Damascus, Caracalla, AD 198-217, AR Tetradrachm
    Struck: circa AD 215-217
    Size: 24-28mm, 11.62g
    Obv: AVT KAI ANTωNINOC CЄ, laureate head right of Caracalla
    Rev: ΔHMAPX ЄΞ VΠATOCTOΔ, eagle standing facing, head and tail left, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak; between legs, ram's head left
    Ref: Prieur 1205, same obverse die as coin from Prieur collection, rare with drapery on bust, only three noted by Prieur, and nine in CoinArchives. For a die study see: Nurpetlian, J. (2014). Damascene Tetradrachms of Caracalla. American Journal of Numismatics (1989-), 26, 187-198. This coin appears to be Plate 51 number 19.

15. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

These are all great, but in this case, Dang, He's P-ssed! (American: 'angry.')
    It's great to be reminded how realism in the portraits (sometimes verging on caricature) persists well into the 3rd century /earlier 'Barracks Emperors.' I really like the variations between mints, as Shea19 pointed out in the first place.

DonnaML, Shea19 and Sulla80 like this.
  16. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Wow! Some incredible examples in this thread so far, thanks for sharing.

@Al Kowsky , I'm always amazed by your seemingly infinite supply of high-end provincial tets! I especially like your coin from Damascus, incredible detail.

@Mat , that Carrhae tet must be great in hand, that's a nice-sized flan. Considering that it's near where he was assassinated, getting a tet from Carrhae is definitely high on my list (I'd love to add a Macrinus from Carrhae too).

@dougsmit , your left-facing tet from Beroea is great. Something about those extra long spikes on the radiate crown just seems perfect for him.

@robinjojo Wow, those two are beautiful...fantastic portrait on your Antioch example.

@ancient coin hunter , @Limes , @Spaniard I love those ants.

@Sulla80 That Damascus tet is a stunner!

17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

CARACALLA
    [​IMG]
    RI Caracalla 198-217 AR Quinarius CE 213 1.3g 13.6mm Laureate - Victory Wreath Palm RIC IV 101 RSC 450 R

galba68, Gallienus, robinjojo and 9 others like this.
  18. Edessa

Edessa Well-Known Member

Decapolis, Gadara. Caracalla, AD 198-217. AR Tetradrachm (24.5mm, 15.42g, 12th). Struck AD 215-217. Obv: Laureate head right. Rev: Eagle standing facing, head and tail left, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak; between legs, the Three Graces within wreath. Ref: Prieur 1588 var. (obv. and rev. legends). Good Fine, toned, old scratches beneath tone on obverse.

zac.jpg

From one of CNG's auctions of the Michel Prieur collection. I only met Michel once at CGB's shop in Paris in the mid-1990's. Michel spent well over an hour with this neophyte tourist pointing out the beauty of ancient coins and freely sharing his deep knowledge of the field.

galba68, Clavdivs, robinjojo and 8 others like this.
  19. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I like this one because he looks like a real thug! It's the furrowed brow, I think.

[​IMG]
    Caracalla AD 198-217.
    Roman AR Denarius 3.37 g, 19.7 mm.
    Rome mint, AD 211.
    Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head, right.
    Rev: INDVLG FECVNDAE, Julia Domna as Indulgentia, wearing polos, seated left on cerule chair, extending right hand and holding scepter.
    Refs: RIC 214; BMCRE 73; RCV 6805.

galba68, Clavdivs, Gallienus and 8 others like this.
  20. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

I absolutely love your 3 Graces reverse, have not seen that on one of these before, great coin!

And thanks for sharing that story about M. Prieur, nice to hear the type of person he was. I could not get over the size and quality of his collection when CNG was selling it last year, must have taken 3 or 4 auctions to go through it all. The coin on the bottom right of my photo is from the Prieur collection, definitely one of my favorites.

+VGO.DVCKS, Edessa and Sulla80 like this.
  21. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Time to post my own "angry Caracalla" again, with not only a scowl but a piercing glare. He's probably thinking about his brother:

Caracalla AR Denarius 210 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head of Caracalla right, ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT/ Rev. Virtus, helmeted, draped, standing right, right breast bare, left foot on helmet, holding reversed spear in her right hand and parazonium in her left hand, PONTIF TR P XIII COS III. (Thirteenth anniversary as ordained heir.) RIC IV-1 117B, RSC III 478. 19 mm., 3.01 g.

Caracalla - adult.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted