New Canadian Large Cents

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, Oct 4, 2015.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Hello everyone!

Just picked up a really nice book of Canadian Large Cents this last week, thought I'd share them with the forum and see if we could arrive at a consensus grade for them.

@Bill in Burl - let me know what you think they are, grade-wise :)

Pretty cool die crack/break on the reverse (it's not a scratch) running through T of CENT and the date

My guess for grade would be XF​

Canada - 1858 Large Cent 4.jpg

1876 H
    Nice "woody" alloy mix, only on one side though
    Also has some missing parts of the letters on the obverse

My guess for grade would be AU/Low MS

Canada - 1876 H Large Cent.jpg

My guess for grade would be mid-MS (after conservation, perhaps?)

Canada - 1899 Large Cent 2.jpg

1907 H
    Another interesting alloy mix on obverse (not cleaning stripes)

My guess for grade would be AU

Canada - 1907 H Large Cent.jpg

jlesliec, Orfew, sonlarson and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

How much for the 1858, before Bill gets here .... Lol ....

swamp yankee and stldanceartist like this.
  4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Gorgeous coins and sweet photography (congrats)

stldanceartist likes this.
  5. stldanceartist

BTW - I'm absolutely open to other people suggesting grades for these...doesn't have to be Bill. :)

6. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

The '99 has environmental damage I think so that it may just warrant a "genuine" and it also loks to be a weaker strike.... look at the ear lobe and the hair bun. Maybe it's drawer wear. The others you have about right but, in my opinion, it's not an alloy mix that gives it the wood-grain look. It was a final wash/rinse either of the bronze sheet before planchet stamping, or just after.

Did you get these at an auction, show, or dealer? Do I know you from a previous life?

7. stldanceartist

Wait, I graded some of these correctly? Haha...end of days, end of days!

These were purchased from a local coin shop. I always ask people if they have any foreign coins - so sometimes they actually save stuff for me...and every once in a while, it's worth it!

It's always possible that you bought some Canadian stuff from me when I listed a few items a while ago.

Thank you for the input on grades :)

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  8. stldanceartist

Also, what do you know about that die crack on the 1858? Anything known that it matches?

9. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

The '58 is a Turner OC1/RB5 and it was approx 9.3% of the 1858's minted. This coin was late in the striking run, with the D/C at leaf 6 first, then the T, then leaf 7. then leaves 11 & 14.... you have all of them

techwriter likes this.
  10. Rick Stachowski

Did you get all that stldanceartist .....

11. Rick Stachowski

Next time you start a thread, you need to just put Hello Bill, Rick and Steve.
    Were the only ones with comments .. lol .....

12. stldanceartist

Is there any added interest/value to the variety?

13. stldanceartist

Haha well...I didn't know that when I posted it. Next time, Gadget, next time...

14. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

I would say that there is little added premium as a whole, and maybe adding 10-15% or so if there were no marks through Vicky's hair. Some varieties are 3, 4, 5, 10X, up to 60X premiums over a normal one. When we did the 2011 Charlton variety section, we used a VF-20 1858 as the gauge for any specific variety of any other date to arrive at scarcity or easiness/difficulty to find. And that was what Charlton and Trends, following our lead, initially set the prices at. The market has dictated the value since then and, after 4+ years, we were pretty close on where we put things.

For instance, back when we wrote it, a vanilla 1859 was $10 in VF-20. We thought that to find a DP#5 in VF-20 was 40X harder to find than a similar 1858, hence a DP#5 went into Charlton at $400, or 40X more than a normal one. If you look at pgs 266-268, you will see where we initially put the premium, the "premium" definition being xx more than a normal one. Today, a DP#5 Trends at $500, 5 years later than when we did the guide. The "premium" that we established carried through across each of the grades in the 2011 Charlton, you will notice, as being XX more than a normal one in that grade. So, anyone that says that Trends doesn't chamge needs to look at the ANNUAL or BIENNIAL change, not a monthly one.

15. Rick Stachowski

As we can see,the bun on top of the queen head is where the wear will start . All in all, its a very nice coin .

16. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

The first things that I look at is the tuft above & in front of the ear and the eyebrow.

17. stldanceartist

Ah...I need to unpack my Charlton...

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Love Canadian Large coppers......more so than US. US are so blah, but Canadian are so .....interesting. The designs are most exquisite while the US appear so mundane. Opinion folks, don't flame me........

stevex6 likes this.
  19. stldanceartist

And yet, I agree with your opinion there. At least with the large cents.

20. Rick Stachowski

Year ( 1858 ) for Year (1858 ) I would have to agree, but some of the early years for u.s. cent are really nice looking

21. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

image.jpg

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted