New books

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nerva, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

9780691163475.png
    Not directly about coins, but I think will interest many of you. This two volume atlas has recently been translated into English. It's a detailed history of the Roman city with a street map zooming in to provide floor plans of important buildings. It includes a lot of coin images and gives context to buildings depicted on coins. Online reviews have highlighted a number of proofing errors, but it's a phenomenal achievement, beautifully produced.

The other book I want to recommend to everyone is 'The Fate of Rome' by Kyle Harper, recently published by Princeton. He emphasises disease and climate as factors in Rome's demise, but the book's great merit is in mediating those factors with the political response. He emphasises Rome's resiliance, bouncing back strongly from the crisis of the third century. One of the best books I've read on any subject!

I've been reading a lot more ancient history since I started collecting, but I feel like I'm still catching up. Other recommendations would be appreciated.

galba68, randygeki, 7Calbrey and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

That one is on my Christmas wish list. I hope Santa is listening!

7Calbrey and Nerva like this.
  4. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

I've wanted a Barrington Atlas of the Ancient World for years, but can never bring myself past the sticker shock to pull the trigger on one.

5. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

If you can find a copy, Toynbee's Atlas & Gazeteer is fun, too. It's Vol XI of his 'Study of History', a massive, bonkers exercise in the grandest of grand narratives. He traces the rise and fall of the most obscure ancient empires.

Draft saved Draft deleted