New Books, Old Coin's

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Eng, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

I have never purchased a book on Ancient or World coin's. i have only bought a few red books over years.But when people know you collect certain coins, it seems you get all kind of freebies, mainly from coin club members. i just got to new books from my Brother, he's not collecting ancient any longer.
    Feel free to post any new books or coins you have just picked up...

Bibical Related Coins, by James B. Lovette.
    Books,info 006_opt.jpg

Also,

Ancient Coin Collecting,
    Wayne G. Sayles and was signed by Wayne..

Books,info 007_opt.jpg
    Books,info 008_opt.jpg

Books my club gave me these..
    Books,info 009_opt.jpg
    Books,info 010_opt.jpg

One person even gave me some old mail bid from 2000 and some.
    Books,info 001_opt.jpg
    Books,info 002_opt.jpg
    Books,info 003_opt.jpg

These have great pictures and probably some of the coin's you have in your collection.

I was just given 5 CD's with Ancient coin's,i can't get them to open on my computer,if anyone want's to try to go through them or want to combine them into a couple disks, let me know and i'll send them to you, John Anthony...please only take them if you can do something with them, make copies that work.

Books,info 011_opt.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    Ancientnoob, stevex6, icerain and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You have a virtual library there John. More books than I own on the subject.
    I wondered whatever happened to him. We used to talk frequently. What's he up to these days besides fishing?

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I can't guarantee I can do anything with them, but I'll give it a try. Go ahead and send them to me, and if they're not readable, I'll send them back.

5. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

jw, my brother Chris has retired and went back to school and is now making videos, taking pictures, he has done a several picture labels for a local winery, what else fish labels. he has a few videos of me fishing on utube.Fishing the Hoh...check it out..
    Big John send me your addy again and i'll get them out to you, if you get them to work and have some good coins on them maybe we could mail a copy of them back and forth to all our Ancient friends,Thanks.

6. John Anthony

PM sent.

My latest addition is Hoover's Coins of the Southern Levant, in CNG's Greek Handbook Series. I've been eating it up - so many periods and types, a fantastic reference. I'll probably get all the volumes, little by little, but you know how it is with these books: pricey!

handbook.JPG

Ancientnoob, vlaha, zumbly and 2 others like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Make sure you tell him I said hello. I'm still waiting for him to post his Mark Anthony Legionary Denarius he was looking to buy (or was that you?).

8. John Anthony

I also picked up Numismatic Chronicle Volume 154, which had an article I wanted by Karl Schmitt-Korte, Nabataean Coinage - Part III: The Nabataean monetary system. It's a thorough metrology of a large sample of silver and bronze coins, and an analysis of the relationship of the Nabataean coins to the Philistian, Hellenistic, and Roman standards. How's that for some exciting bed-time reading?

011.JPG

But I got a bonus out of this one. It also has a catalog and notes for a number of South Arabian coins, by S. C. Munro-Hay. I haven't ventured into collecting any of these coins, but eventually I will, and this will be a valuable resource.

zumbly and Eng like this.
  9. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

I'l tell him you said hi, we were talking about you on our last fishing trip.He said he was going to email you, i'll get after him. i got a Mark Anthony Denarius from him a while back, did he get that from you. i post it later.
    Big John awesome books, did someone tell you about these or did you just run into them.

10. John Anthony

No, I discovered them in various bibliographies - a couple of important texts if you're interested in ancient Arabian coinage.

11. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Nice ancient coin library Eng. I see you posted a more recent version of: Roman Coins and their Values by David R Sear, or maybe it's the same version I have with a different book cover. Either way I've found it very helpful.

The one I have is still the 4th revised version. I think it was copyrighted in 1988. The millennium revision has been broken up into 5 different volumes all of which are available here.

http://www.davidrsear.com/books.html

71LMvzXzwOL.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    Eng likes this.
  12. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

On the recommendation of a member on another forum I just picked up this British Museum publication on the infamous 410 sack of Rome. It looks (and the member told me that it is) good so as an enthusiast of this era I couldn't resist grabbing for myself a copy:

AD 410: The Year that Shook Rome

[​IMG]

Eng likes this.
  13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

this isn't a book about coins, but it is one of the more interesting books on the ancient world i've read. coins do make a few cameo appearances.

[​IMG]

well, this thread made me go book shopping!

Eng and vlaha like this.
  14. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

I haven't bought anything even remotely related to ancients since spring. :(

15. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

I haven't bought any new ancient coins since the summer..busy with other things, time to get some new coins...;)

16. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Cheers to that! :D

17. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Nice books, am always hunting down books on coins but they are not easy to find. The only things I really have are old auction catalogs on ancients.

Eng likes this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have enough coin books that the lesser ones are in the attic but among my most prized holdings are some of my old auction catalogs. Of course there are good and bad in both categories but there are catalogs that should and do sell for prices that would surprise many of you. Conversely, there are books not worth the price of postage. Should I sell books that I consider not worth owning to people who believe any book is sacred? That depends on who is paying the postage. The number of books offered on Amazon for one cent and $3.99 postage (not necessarily on coins) scares me. Are there coin books that belong in this class. I believe I have a few.

The gray jacket Sear is 1970, third edition (one older than Race's red one). I just got an ad for preordering the last of the 5 Millennium Sear volumes so it is about ready to exist as a whole after only 15 years. I don't have volumes 3 and 4 yet. Does anyone? Recommended??? I conside 1 and 2 nice catalogs but expensive and just catalogs for the most part. I would love to see how volume 5 handled the Falling Horseman listings and a few other things. I have not seen a 3 or 4 for sale at a show that was not cellophane wrapped so I don't know what I think of them and am not willing to pay the price to see.

19. John Anthony

I ordered this today...

ans.jpg

List of articles...

Michael IERARDI: The Tetradrachms of Agothakles of Syracuse: A Preliminary Study (75 pages long!)
    David SELLWOOD: The "Victory" Drachms of Phraates IV
    Ed DOBBINS: Countermarked Characene Tetradrachms of Attambelos IV
    Richard McALEE: Vespasian's Syrian Provincial Coinage
    Giles CARTER: The Chronology of Augustan Asses and Quadrantes Determined from Chemical Compositions.
    Paul T. Keyser: Greco-Roman Alchemy and Coins of Imitation Silver
    Y.T. Nercessian: Two Silver Coins of Gosdantin III of Cilician Armenia
    Nezihi Aykut: Some Coins of Mas'ud I, Qilijarslan II, and the Maliks

Looks like some great reading!

zumbly, Eng and TIF like this.
  20. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I love my ancient-coin library and think many new collectors would appreciate the type of knowledge one gets by reading books instead of just following shallow discussions on the web. I have a website on collecting themes and related references (which is far from complete, especially with respect to books because I originally thought of it as a sale-catalog site and I have not had time to revise all of it)
    http://esty.ancients.info/catalogs/Themes.html
    which was originally organized by firm:
    http://esty.ancients.info/catalogs/

We enjoy our coins because of what we know about them. If you know more, you can enjoy them more. I think books are a very cost-effective "investment" in coins.

Now, about Sear's series. I use volumes 1-3 for their ID numbers. Volume 3 is very much like volume 2 -- a very extensive list of coin types you might buy. If you use 2, you will use 3. Volume 1 is, to me, much more useful, being a nearly complete listing of Republican denarii.

Sear 4 begins the period when the same type is issued by numerous mints with identifying mintmarks. I have all of RIC. I have not seen Sear 4 and don't know how it can add to a simple RIC attribution. I would like to hear someone's review of Sear 4.

zumbly, krispy and Eng like this.
  21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

wow => awesome books, Eng (cheers, brother) .... huh, I can't believe that your brother hasn't been sucked back into ancient coin collecting?

... oh, and great thread-additions, fellas (yah, there are certainly some sweet coin-books on this site) ... congrats!!

Eng likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted