New Book - Coinage of Bostra, Kindler

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Feb 2, 2015.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Hey folks, I just came across this rare volume, from the library of Bruce R. Brace. Here are the seller's notes...

"Ex. Bruce R. Brace library with his Ex Libris bookplate. Bruce Brace was a scholar and by many considered to be a dean of Roman Numismatics in Canada. Coins from his extensive collection were sold by CNG in 2011 and 2012."

Brace was the co-founder of the Classical and Medieval Numismatic Society.

bostra kindler.jpg

This is a tough volume to find, long out of print. Again from the seller's notes...

"Kindler, Arie THE COINAGE OF BOSTRA. Warminster (UK): Aris & Phillips, 1983. Large format, soft cover. 160 pages with 12 excellent plates with descriptions of coins on opposite pages. Dennis Kroh in his book Ancient Coin Reference Reviews rates this book with 4 stars and says: "The Coinage of Bostra" is a very through study in which the coinage is presented within the context of the history of the city. 57 coin-types are published in 160 pages with 12 great plates of photos."

The only reference I currently own for any coins of Provincia Arabia is SNG ANS 6, which, as handsome as it is, is merely a catalog with no analyses. I'm very much looking forward to burying my brain in this new volume.

Roman Collector, Eng, icerain and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Very nice! What's the coin on the cover, it looks like an interesting architectural type.

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

SNG ANS 6 lists such a reverse type for 4-5g aes of Elagabalus. The description is, "Baetyl of Dusares between two uncertain objects on a small base; all on altar with staircase." It appears that Kindler's cover coin also has two figures on the altar. Priests?

Dusares was the chief deity of the Nabataeans, and his worship is attested well into Roman times. In fact, many Nabataean cultural traditions flourished into the Byzantine era. The reverse types of Bostra celebrate a number of Arabian themes, in addition to common provincial motifs like busts of Tyche, etc.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    zumbly likes this.
  5. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

A very good volume to have, if you have any interest in civic issues of that region. Most of the books on those cities are very hard to find, but at least they exist. Someday it will all be superseded by RPC. I'm just not sure if I'll live that long!

John Anthony likes this.
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Very cool. I may have noticed the name of the City on a few coins, but the only one that comes to mind is the Trajan AR with the camel. Obviously Bostra has much more to offer.

John Anthony likes this.
  7. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Nice, I'm beginning to look for books for certain areas of coins that I collect.

Draft saved Draft deleted