New BArbie Arrived

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mrbrklyn, Jan 6, 2006.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

OH that is nice, Is It real LOL can I ask how much it cost??

De Orc :D

4. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Hey....that wasn't an argument...that was 2 people that think 2 ways posting their 2 ideas for other people :D

NICE COIN...I like it....I still hold to the fact that the chances of that coin staying WHITE by itself alone is small.....more than likely it was dipped..but that is niether here, or there....
    Where I hope to someday put together a Barber Half Dollar collection...I think I'm going to be doing in lower grades with maybe F or VF being the highest I'll go.....and if I do go to UNC someday (when the boat comes in :D ) I was all toned Barbers...it will show the age and it would also make a cool set.

But aside all of that....this is a A Class coin....any collector would like it!

Speedy

5. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I have to agree with you. I think it looks to perfect and it must have been dipped, although it is in a ANACS slab and it is a MS 62.

I also got to Indian 2 1/2 golds in, but I don't have time to photograph them now.

Ruben

6. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

As long as the dipping isn't harsh ANACS/NGC/PCGS will grade coins.....

Speedy

7. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

i was just reading this on wikipedia and thought it was disturbing.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Silver Dips: There are now a great many silver dips and liquids available. These dips contain thiourea, and are the lazy man's method of polishing sterling. The item is dipped in the liquid, and within a few seconds it attains brightness. This brightness, however, is not caused by removal of the tarnish, but by chemical conversion of silver sulfide to a white substance that is harder to remove than the original tarnish, necessitating yet another polishing with more abrasive substances.

Serious sterling collectors avoid silver dips. One reason is that silver dip tends to brighten areas of the design that should remain dark in order to give a relief effect. This is especially important in pieces that have Repoussé and chasing. Another reason is the difficulty in removing the end product of the conversion, which usually requires an abrasive cleanser.

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Now here is an interesting thing. This is Heritages picture of the coin. does it look like thruth in advertizing?

http://images.heritagecoin.com/images/HNAI/300/399/399035033o.JPG

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Ruben I gotta say, your pics, because of the way they reflect the light, make the coin look like it is polished to me. I rather doubt that it is of course because NGC wouldn't slab it if it was. But all I have is pics to look at while you have the coin in hand. So, in your opinion, do your pics provide an honest representation of how the coin looks in hand or not ?

I readily agree that the Heritage pics make the coin look like a dipped coin to me. But I think they probably provide a fairly honest representation, they always have with any coin I've bought from them. But again, in this case only can say since you have the coin in hand and we don't.

10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I'm not sure what the details of a polished coin looks like, especially a Barbra half. A Morgan, which I'm more familiar with, I could make a more educated opinion. But the coin does shine, without being mirror like. to my amature eye, it doesn't look like my Sivler candleabra and cups when they are shined and polished. It has no indication of being whized. And I think my photo is a good representation, minus the slight off focus due to the coins angle to the camera, of what it looks like in hand.

To see this coin in person after talking to Speedy about it is why i brought this coin ;)

In terms of being polished, it not like one of my ASEs :) (Yes - I'm aware that one would be polishing the coin the other the dies)

In the hand it seems to have some origianl luster in the flat parts of the obverse's fields. I'll see if I can photo it better tomorrow morning.

I'm off to work now. Chow!

Ruben
    Ruben

Draft saved Draft deleted