New AZ quarter errors/varieties?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by TheNoost, Jun 28, 2008.

1. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Just got $10 roll from the bank of AZ P mint. 1/3 Has at least one of the two hollows in the B in liberty filled. Another 1/3 has JIM initials on the Rev one half covered. Looks like an extra/moved rock. Die chip? Working on getting some pics this weekend. Any premium on these? New variety or just issues with the dies? Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Never heard of it, but sounds great! please post a pic.

4. erwizard

erwizard Numismatic RN

I found 3 AZ D mint quarters with the same obverse die crack. And I swear I see the top of a cactus to the right of the tallest cactus. Weird. Hopefully these pics will be good enough. :goof:
    Just click the pic and it will enlarge.

Attached Files:

5. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

I would hold onto that roll and wait a while. Could be die erosion...or something else. Save that roll.

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Probably some grease on the dies but you never know , definitly hold them .
    rzage

7. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

seriuosly? I told the teller at the bank, now they are looking through rolls for them. They already found 7 or 8 more coins like this! Do u think I should get some more rolls? and how many. Now I'm really excited! Will be taking two in to the coin shop on Tuesday.Thanks.

8. mustang0008gt

mustang0008gt New Member

what did the coin shop say about it.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes they are die chips, the one on the reverse is being called "extra cactus". It comes in several stages from a very small chip all the way through a very large one that almost completely covers the initials. It also develops another chip that also goes through several stages until it joins the tops of the 08. They seem to be fairly common.

Correction the chip at the date is over the 20 not the 08

10. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Coin shop guy said a couple of bucks ea. I don't think they are anything special due to the fact I found 2/3 roll full in 1 roll. The AZ with the chip over the date or chip over date and designers initials is probably better. Still going to hold on to a few though.

11. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

The chip over the date is going anywhere from $15-$35 on ebay right now. The chip over the designer's initials is going anywhere from $1-$3 right now. The covered initials seems to be quite common, but the date covering variety is not quite as common.

I'm going to hold on to a few as well.

12. grnwavdav

grnwavdav Numismatic Addict

Are these errors found on the Pennsylvania or Denver mints?

13. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

The ones I have are P mint

14. sf340flier

sf340flier New Member

For some reason, these Arizona quarters have consumed me. I normally like things from the 1800's but, here is the lowdown on the Arizona quarters...

--A sizeable amount of P minted Arizona quaters have the reverse designer initials covered. I have personally identified three varieties that do this. One variety simply covers the upper half of the "J" in the "JFM". Another variety covers most of the "J" and "F" and part of the "M." The third variety I have found covers almost the entire initial area. You can only see the bottom of the "M" sticking out. These have been identified as the single leaf extra cactus error on ebay. All of these are going for about $1-$2 right now. In my opinion, these are very common as I probably have 4 rolls of these.

--A much more rare error is the so-called double extra cactus. I have seen three varieties of these as well. All of these varieties seem to have the single cactus error as well as the following: One variety covers the top part of the first zero and touches the 2 in the reverse date. Another variety touches just the 2 in the date. And another variety touches just the second zero in the date. All of these can be seen easily with the naked eye. There was also an article about these in the June 30th Coin World. These apparently have only been found in 1,000 mint bags. I think they were more common early on with the 1,000 mint bags, as I can tell you having searched two new fresh mint bags, I found none. ANACS and ICG have agreed to start certifying these. They are selling anywhere from $10-$100+ on ebay right now.

--There are also reports of a smooth cactus variety on the D mints. Haven't seen one of these except on ebay.

--Some are selling an extra cactus needles variety. I have one of these and in my opinion, this is a pretty minor variety.

--There are a few selling a candlestick variety, where the cactus has points that look somewhat like a candlestick.

In general, the Arizonas are a mess, imo. But if you like state quarter varieties, I guess you may be in for some fun.

Happy hunting!

Draft saved Draft deleted