New Augustus Restitution Sestertius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Julius Germanicus, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

I still needed an Augustus to complete my Sestertius portrait gallery and as I love yellow bronzes I could not resist buying this budget example on eBay.

Obviously it is a very worn coin, but it cost just 81 Euros while almost resembling a gold medallion in size and color :)

P2120933.jpg

DIVVS AVGVSTUS – Laureate head of Augustus right
    IMP NERVA CAES AVGVSTVS REST around large S C
    Sestertius, Rome 96 a.D.
    20,4 gr / 34 mm
    Cohen 570, Sear 3076, RIC (Nerva) 136, BMC (Nerva) 149, CBN (Nerva) 141

P2120936.jpg

Here ist the rest of my Julio-Claudian Sestertius gallery (Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius, Nero):

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-27 um 10.21.02.png

Let´s see yours!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

Very nice. I love the various patina styles that come from orichalcum.

4. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Beautiful yellow coin there, @Julius Germanicus! Here's my Augustus restoration issue:

pjimage (9).jpg
    Augustus, Restoration issue by Titus AE27 As, Rome Mint, Struck 80-81 AD.
    Obverse: DIVVS AVGVS-TVS PATER, Radiate head of Augustus left; above, a star.
    Reverse: IMP T CAES AVG RESTITVIT, Eagle perched facing on globe, head right, wings spread, S-C in field.
    References: RCV I 2584, RIC II 198/462, Cohen 551, Komnick 34.0
    Size: 27mm, 9.98g

galba68, dlhill132, Ryro and 4 others like this.
  5. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

12 Caesars in sestertius or similar size is more difficult and expensive than many realize (at least in decent condition). I still need some as I have been entirely too picky (though I have an eye on one of the hardest to get in a current auction. Wont point anyone to that as I dont want any competition. The coin is already did to a few times estimate and nearly what I decided to pay). Here is my Augustus:

x3909.jpg

galba68, dlhill132, jb_depew and 8 others like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

The only 12 Caesars Sestertius is a Glaba for me:

Actually not as bad in-hand, but pics can REALLY bring out the warts.
    RI Galba AE Sestertius SPQR - O.B - CIV.SER in Wreath.jpg
    RI Galba AE Sestertius SPQR - O.B - CIV.SER in Wreath

dlhill132, Curtisimo, Ryro and 3 others like this.
  7. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

A few more 12 Caesars sestertii:

2999.jpg 3820374.jpg 3840551.jpg

8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I don't have a JC sestertius, but here is a 12 caesars....#12.

[​IMG]

9. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

"Did somebody say budget Julio-Claudian bronzes??? As if there is any other kind...on my budget." he said whispering the last part under his breath.
    CollageMaker Plus_201845213147559.png CollageMaker Plus_201845213115274.png CollageMaker Plus_201845213038848.png CollageMaker Plus_201845212950170.png CollageMaker Plus_201845212919615.png

galba68, dlhill132, Numinaut and 5 others like this.
  10. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Great find! He has the jaw line of the late Christopher Reeves. Super Augustus!

11. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Beautiful Augustus head and from what I have read, very rare! Great acquisition.

Found the following description, which I think is interesting, just sharing:)
    The “restoration” or recoining of the types had the general purpose of linking the reign of Nerva to that of Augustus. Succeeding to the throne by violence, Nerva felt the need to attach himself to the great imperial tradition and naturally went back from the Flavians to Augustus himself. (. .) The formula “restituit” is here used loosely: not a single type is “restored” exactly as originally struck. For some like the sestertii with the portrait of Divus Augustus, we cannot point to any coin that can be regarded as a model. What is restored is essentially the memory, rather than the coins, of the founder of the Empire." (H. Mattingly, BMC III, S. L).​
    and also:
    at http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.2.ner.136 mint is Asia Minor, this has been changed to Rome (Holger Komnick, "Die Restitutionsmünzen der frühen Kaiserzeit", Berlin 2002)

Numinaut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted