New arrival from Naville

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by H8_modern, Jun 28, 2017.

1. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I thought this was an interesting and inexpensive lot especially with the pedigree. Please join in with your minting oddities - scoops, adjustment marks, brockage, etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

L. Iulius Bursio. Denarius circa 85, AR 19mm., 3.74g. Male head r., with the attributes of Apollo, Mercury and Neptune; behind, male figure r. Rev. Victory in quadriga r., holding reins in l. hand and wreath in r.; in exergue, L·IVLI BVRSIO. Babelon Julia 5. Sydenham 728. RBW –. Crawford 352/1a.

Marks adjustment; otherwise Extremely Fine.

From the E.E. Clain-Stefanelli collection

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Wow, save for the adjustment mark right across the portrait, what remains is XF grade or higher.

4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Interesting, indeed.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I own only one coin with a "scoop", and even then I'm not sure it's not a scrape. Anyway, that's a fine coin @H8_modern

Roman Collector likes this.
  6. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I am still looking for an example with a nice prominent Stannard scoop. Sometimes they are much less noticeable. On this Cr. 383/1 of Ti. Claudius Nero, the scoop is across the horse and victory on the reverse and was mostly obliterated during striking
    3831combined.JPG

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

My scoop.

[​IMG]
    PUBLIUS FURIUS CRASSIPES (84 B.C.)
    AR Denarius
    O: AED CVR, turretted head of Cybele right. Long oval gouge and tool mark across Cybele's head (al marco weight adjustments).
    R: Curule chair inscribed P FOVRIUS, CRASSIPES in exergue.
    Rome Mint
    3.9g
    20.5mm
    RCV 275
    Publius Furius strikes here not as moneyer, but as a special issue in his role as Curule Aedile, hence the curule chair bearing his name.

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Mine has Stannard scoops on the reverse, but largely leaving the devices unmarred.

RR - Q Lutatius Cerco Galley.jpg

9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is a great scoop! it was so deep on the obverse that the metal was too thin to fill the reverse die so we see a shadow of it in the reverse design. The texture in the reverse indention shows that it is a shadow of the obverse scoop and not the rare example I am seeking where the same coin was scooped twice (once on each side). As a fan of scoopers, I place extra interest on the ones that show stutter marks where the tool was tapped repeatedly as it passed over the surface. Memmius below has three stutters and a large flat spot on the obverse backing it up.
    r14800bb3113.jpg

Aemelius Paulus has 8 (my personal best - I would love to see more). This coin had very little metal removed from a very shallow scoop. I suspect it was done when the batch weight was very close to the target and they took care not to remove too much.
    r27030bb2949.jpg

11. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

The OP coin is a nice upgrade from my only other scoop coin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mikey Zee, randygeki, zumbly and 5 others like this.
  12. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I'm trying hard, but I still think I prefer this kind of scoop... :bag:

[​IMG]

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I want a SCOOP! And yours is just fantastic @H8_modern ! Provenance is superb with EE Clain-Stefanelli! Well done...

I have no scoop, regretfully, but I do have a couple minting oddities:

BROCKAGE:
    RR AR Denarius ERROR BROCKAGE ROMA Helmeted Head-Incuse and reverse of obverse - 2nd-1st C BCE.JPG
    RR AR Denarius ERROR BROCKAGE ROMA Helmeted Head-Incuse and reverse of obverse - 2nd-1st C BCE

DOUBLE-STRIKE:
    upload_2017-6-29_17-31-55.png
    RR M Furius ERROR DOUBLE-STRIKE AR Den119 BC Janus Trophy Carnyx S 156 Cr 281-1

upload_2017-6-29_17-32-38.png
    RR Clodius Pulcher T Mallius AR Den 111-110 BCE ERROR Flipover Double-Strike Roma Triga Cr 299-1b S 176

OVERSTRIKE:
    RR Anon AE Sextans-Hieron II Overstrike 214-212 BCE S1211 Cr69-6.jpg
    RR Anon AE Sextans-Hieron II Overstrike 214-212 BCE Sear 1211 Craw 69/6

Composed of:

[​IMG]
    Sicily Syracuse 275-215 BC AE 19 Hieron II Poseidon-Trident - same as overstrike

AND:
    [​IMG]
    RR Anon AE Sextans 211-206 BCE Prob Sicily-Katana mintage Craw 69/6a Sear 1211

DREADED PLASTIC DISEASE: Modern private mint error on an Ancient...

(Yeah, I just have not cracked it out of the PolyStyrene Coffin yet...)
    upload_2017-6-29_17-37-2.png
    RI Civil War VINDEX 68-69 CE AR Denarius 3.22g Gallic mint SALVS GENERIS HVMANI Victory l globe - SPQR in wreath RIC 72 BMCRE 34-36 RSC 420 RARE

SCOOP:
    upload_2017-6-29_17-38-51.png
    ONLY SCOOP that I have! :( :( :( Mea Culpa!

Mikey Zee, randygeki, Nerva and 7 others like this.
  14. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Nice OP 'scoop' coin!

I must confess this an area I know little about. What is the latest coin with a scoop?

15. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

So is a 'scoop' where the mint removes metal from overweight coins?

16. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

No. The scoop was a way of removing weight from overweight batches. Current thinking is that the Roman mint would produce batches of blanks where it was expected that X pounds of silver made Y number of blanks and the coins were weighed as a batch, as weighing individual blanks would take too long and there's little evidence that the Romans were extremely concerned with the weight of individual coins. If the batch was too heavy, random blanks were gouged to lower the weight of the batch. Too light and the batch likely had to be melted and redone, so heavy batches that could be gouged if need be were likely preferred to light batches.

Here is a paper on the phenomenon by Clive Stannard.

17. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

Thank you - v useful link. I saw that coin at Naville and wondered why it had that big scrape.

18. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

WOW!! Very interesting 'oddities'...and now I understand the reason for the scooping.

I lack any of that type but this republican always comes to mind when I think of 'oddities' or wonder what the celator's intentions were----Malleous; Mars and Hercules/warrior, 96 BC.

RR wrinkled Mars obverse.jpg rr naked warrior or hercules with phallic mars.jpg

H8_modern, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, I did NOT see that in Naville. If I KNOW the bidder handle and/or they are from CT, I will step aside in bidding. However, if I would NOT known the handle, I believe that I would have bid to win this one. @H8_modern scored a fantastic Coin! Congrats again.

Nerva likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted