New arrival - A third Social War coin.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Michael Stolt, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Michael Stolt

Michael Stolt Well-Known Member

Picked up my Christmas present to myself that I won over at Hess Divo earlier this month. I should have gotten it before Christmas but the package was almost two weeks delayed for unknown reasons.

Anyways, I'm super happy to be able to add a third Social War coin to my collection within the span of just one year. This type is quite rare, and difficult to obtain in the first place. So the somewhat rough surfaces don't bother me too much. And the provenance can't get much better.

It is also a plate coin in Alberto Campana's work on the Social War coinage.

800edited.png

The Social War. Coinage of the Marsic Confederation. AR Denarius (19mm 3.72 g). Moving mint in Campania(?). Struck 88-87 BC.

Obverse: Bust of Minerva left, wearing aegis and crested helmet, crowned by Victory standing behind her.

Reverse: Soldier(or Mars?), nude to waist, standing facing, helmeted head turned right, holding lance with his right hand, sword in his lowered left hand; on left, four shields attached to a tree, on right, forepart of bull reclining right, in exergue, IIIV.

Reference: Campana 121, 170c (this specimen, illustr. on pl. 9)

Provenance: Ex Othon Leonardos collection, J. Schulman, Amsterdam (31 May 1927), lot 339. Ex Joseph Martini collection, R. Ratto, Lugano (24 February 1930), lot 247. R. Ratto, Lugano - Fixed Price List VIII (1933), lot 176. Numismatica Ars Classica, Auction 70 (16 May 2013), lot 97. Numismatica Ars Classica, Auction 92 (23 May 2016), lot 1787. Hess Divo, Auction 338 (3 December 2019), lot 2.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Michael Stolt likes this.
  4. Michael Stolt

Thank you! :)

5. Michael Stolt

Here's a group photo of the trio:

triooooosociiiiii.png

6. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

What a coin and what a provenance!

7. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Those are great—the portraits are beautiful!

8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Wow! That's some coin and some provenance!

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

It's always nice to be able trace ownership like this. Great coin!

10. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Strange. Except for the 80 year lapse (1933-2013) it seems to have been sold every three years.

11. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

congrats on a great pick-up,

12. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Not too strange. Remember, these coins were sold based on photos of plaster casts, which may not perfectly reflect surfaces. Early buyers may not have been thrilled with the rough surfaces on the actual coin. Eventually, the coin found a happy home. I've a rough surface coin in my collection that appears in multiple, major Ratto sales of the late 1920s, then it drops off the radar until late 1970s.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  13. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Those are stunners I'm dreaming about and would love to add to my plates someday. Very well done, and the pedigree is really something

Q

14. Michael Stolt

Deacon Ray likes this.
  15. Michael Stolt

Thank's! :)

Roman Collector likes this.
  16. Michael Stolt

17. Michael Stolt

Thank you very much! :)

18. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Plus, this was a period of difficult times in the 1930's with a terrible economic depression and war spooling up in Europe so auction results were often not great during this time.

Michael Stolt and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted