New Ancients: Greek, Indo, & ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Jul 17, 2010.

1. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Thanks guy's will check it out :hail:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

A few new Indian bits and followed by some that I require help Iding

1351-1388 Delhi Sutanate Firuz Shah Tughluq
    [​IMG]

Indo-Sassanian Billon Design, circa 1210
    [​IMG]

Circa 800-950ad Rajput dynasties Saurashtra & Gujarat silver drachm
    Imitation of Sassanian silver drachms of Khushrau
    stylized head of Khushrau facing right, degraded inscriptions
    Stylized fire altar with attendants on both sides
    good silver not Billon
    Mitchener 422
    [​IMG]

And not quite Indian

1842-1863 Afghanistan Silver rupee Dost Muhammad
    [​IMG]

Please do tell me If I have made any errors

4. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Update I have found out that they are both 1860-1875 Kutch Silver kori Pragmalji II

Any other info would be greatfuly recieved

Attached Files:

• 2a.jpg
      2a.jpg
      File size:
      86.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3a.jpg
      3a.jpg
      File size:
      83.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2b.jpg
      2b.jpg
      File size:
      63.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3b.jpg
      3b.jpg
      File size:
      81.2 KB
      Views:
  5. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

OK sorted these two out so here they are with new pics

Amir of Sinds Circa 870-1030ad Silver damma Possibly Multan mint
    [​IMG]

Ahmad Amir of Sind Circa 870-1030ad Silver damma Multan mint
    [​IMG]

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Circa 800-950ad Rajput dynasties Saurashtra & Gujarat silver drachm
    Imitation of Sassanian silver drachms of Khushrau
    stylized head of Khushrau facing right, degraded inscriptions
    Stylized fire altar with attendants on both sides
    good silver not Billon
    Mitchener 422

I'd prefer this with the reverse rotated a quarter turn to the lrft so the fire altar was right side up. I am of no help with the Islamic items since I am only just beginning to study the 13th century and know less than nothing about things after that.

7. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Keep trying to replace the pic but it wont do it so we shall have to live with it looking loke that

8. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Time to add a few more :D

Delhi Silver Unknown value Sultan Qutb Al Din Mubarak
    [​IMG]

1778-1786 Indian Princely States of Kutch Dhinglo Maharaja Rao Raydhanji
    [​IMG]

1778-1786 Indian Princely States of Kutch Dokdo Maharaja Rao Raydhanji
    [​IMG]

1778-1786 Indian Princely States of Kutch Trambio Maharaja Rao Raydhanji
    [​IMG]

Hope that you folkslike them cus I do LOL

9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

gerat coins all :D

10. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Thank you Randy now for a few more :D

150-75BC Sunga Empire Bronze 14 karshapana Lakshmi standing, various devices in field, Wheel 10mm, 0.8gs possibly minted in Ujjayini
    [​IMG]

1556-1605 Murghal Empire Dam Akbar the Great
    [​IMG]

1693-1698 Dutch occupied Gingi, Pondicherry Copper dump Goddess Kali of Tanjore
    [​IMG]

1800-1829 East India Company 1 Pice United E.I.Co. Heart Balemark
    [​IMG]

11. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

These arrived today :D

321-187Bc Mauryan Empire Drachm
    [​IMG]

985-1014 South India Cholas Empire Raja Raja I Coin found I believe in or near Vijayanagara (also known as a Tamil Octopuss man)
    [​IMG]

1265-1287 Delhi Sultanate 2-ghani Ghiyas-ud-din Balban Shah Persian inscriptions on both sides He rose from been a slave to ruling a vast region of India, Held back the Mongol hordes stabalized the Sultanate, was totaly ruthless :eek: and was one of the great Sultans of Delhi :D
    [​IMG]

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I really like the Raja Raja. They are very common coins but strike and centering often conspire to make them ugly compared to this one (although I would prefer it displayed with the reverse right side up). The Balban is smaller flan than mine but looks to be much better silver. Is it silver washed or really good silver for these?

That leaves the Mauryan: These bother me in most cases but yours is really cryptic. The five stamps can obscure one another on very good examples but I'm not seeing anything here that will allow it to be IDed beyond what you have said already. Why did you select it from the thousands of punchmarked coins out there? I see the sun; can you read the others?

13. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Strangley the pic I had that id it showed it that way round LOL Now as for the Mauryan I chose it as it was a gift :eek: but like you I have no real idea as to which King it is

14. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

360-460 Kingdom of Kidara in the Punjab Kota Kula Stick figure-Trident & Lightning
    [​IMG]

Thanks to DCH for the clue that helped me find this one out LOL

The Kingdom (Kidara was probably the head of a confederacy of warlords) was situated partialy in Pakistan & India (with bits in Afghanistan) It was a breakaway from the dying Kushan empire from what I can gather it was for many years very peaceful until invaded and taken over by the Hephthalite
    The stylized figure is possibly a representation of the Hindu God Shiva

15. bgarg

bgarg Senior Member

Very nice coins, Steve.

The later Kushan period is known as Kidara period and most of their coin designs were stylized copy of earlier Kushan period coins (of Vasu Deva's mostly). Most of the kidara hoards found in Northern Indian region had gold coins and very few copper coins. So, the copper kidara coins are somewhat scarce then gold coins, however many collector find these copper coins unattractive hence these can be purchased reasonably.

The obverse figure is a stylized figure of what you find on most of Vasu Deva's copper coins, Shiva with Nandi bull. And the reverse is also stylized copy of Vasu Deva's coin with King sacrificing and trident above altar.

Regards,
    Ballabh Garg

16. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Thank you Ballabh, still got a number that I am trying to Id lOL one of the main problems for me is the proffusion of scripts on the coins trying to figure out what language it is can be somewhat of a nightmare but I ahve to say the history is fascinating

17. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Time for a few more that I believe I have correctly identyfied LOL

1911-30 Hydrabad 2 Pai Nizam Mir Osman Ali Khan Bahadur
    [​IMG]

1923 Princley State of Bahawalpur Paisa Amir Sadiq Muhammad Khan
    [​IMG]

1316-1320 Delhi Sultanate Square Billon coin Qutb al-Din Mubarak last ruler of the Khilji dynasty
    [​IMG]

18. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Part II LOL

1570-1850 Nawanagar State silver kori Imitation of coins of Muzaffar III of Gujarat Frozen date AH 978 = 1570
    [​IMG]

1720-1748 Mughal Empire Silver Rupee Muhammad Shah aka Roshan Akhtar Bahadur Shahjahanabad mint Ah1141 Obv Name and titles of Muhammad Shah in Persian His name on top line with date far right Rev. Similar legend with regnal year and mint "Dar al-Khilafat Shahjahanabad" on top line diameter 23mm weight 11.38g
    [​IMG]
    (Dealer gave me a lot of info on this one LOL)

1405-1447 Timurid Empire Silver Tanka Ruler of Herat Shahrukh Mirza (Afghanistan)
    [​IMG]

19. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

And finaly for today

1748–1754 Maratha Confederacy Bhonsla Hinganghat mint Under Muhammad Shah (Not 100% certain)
    [​IMG]

Muhammad Bismillah Khan Jorawar Khan Babi, Nawab Sahib of Radhanpur Victoria JI In Hindi Ji means Yes or Sir
    [​IMG]

20. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Well, I don't have any nice silver Indian states coins, but I've got some bronzes from the region I much like.

De Orc: I really like your Hyderabad 2 pai, and your Bahawalpur paisa. Very nice.
    Kutch - 1929 - 1 1/2 dodka

Mewar - 1942 - one quarter anna

Malacca - 1831 - 1 keping, *the reverse pic is off-color due to my camera, not the coin.
    and yes I know Malacca is on the Malay peninsula and not an Indian state, but I thought I would still include it.

Attached Files:

21. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

I Like them and it is close enough LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted