New ancient lot to clean (And website review)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aaron Apfel, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Aaron Apfel

Aaron Apfel Active Member

Hi guys, I just received 1/16th of a kg of coins that I bought from the website www.crustyromans.com. These guys sell in weight and not per coin (essentially meaning no one has gone through and picked the good ones out). They have all sorts of ancient goodies inside their hoards but unfortunately I didn't get any jewelry in this lot :/ However some of these coins are already looking quite promising.

This particular hoard I bought from has a good amount Roman provincial coins and smaller Roman coins as well as some Byzantine, Judean, widow’s mites, and some very large Ptolemy coins. Also some Greek and Islamic coins. - So they say on the hoard description, so i'm hoping to get a nice variety here, however I've only ever had roman coins before so I have no idea how to identify the others.

Here is a picture, I threw in an American 1 cent coin to compare:

[​IMG]

Future pictures will have to be taken with something other than my crappy phone's camera.
    But look how tiny some are!! Some of them are as small as 7mm!

If anyone can help me out with identifying some of these that would be great, obviously they are a little dirty and need an initial cleanup. I'm hoping I have some rare ones here.

Thanks guys,

randygeki and John Anthony like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Well AA, I hope they are what you are hoping for. Once you have them cleaned up a bit, post them individually on threads if you need help attributing any. Looking forward to the ride.

Aaron Apfel likes this.
  4. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

indeed, you'll have to clean them up a bit and do some pics of both sides. some before and after shots would be cool. one thing I saw that caught my attention was the campgat coin, top row, second from left. looks like one of the later ones, like a theodosius or arcadius...that one should be interesting.

Aaron Apfel likes this.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

With all do respect, buying by weight in no way means they weren't cherry-picked.

6. Aaron Apfel

I know, i was very skeptical when buying these. I guess there's no way to tell for sure but I trust these guys more than the sellers on Ebay.

7. jakchota

jakchota Active Member

i thought .. im not going through embarrassment. PENNY as a example. caught me there.

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Good luck Aaron! Please post pics of your progress.

Aaron Apfel likes this.
  9. Aaron Apfel

Thanks, I've begun soaking a couple of them just to get a feel of the cleaning needed for these coins. Most don't seem to be that bad and crusty but they have a stubborn layer of sand-like crust which I've never worked with before so this will be interesting :)

Draft saved Draft deleted