New Ancient Coinage Website Preview

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gil-galad, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I've said and have been working on a personal website for a year or more, mostly not working on but I have made a lot of progress in the last few days that I decided to have a preview. I also have a decent camera which gives me a little more motivation to work on my site.

The site is plain, fast and economical for bandwidth usage which may be ideal once I find a place that will host my site. I haven't decided where the site is going but I'm positive that I can find a place. This site has been hand coded by me using nothing more than Notepad and the specifications for HTML 4. I've never used HTML 4 before, so it is a good time to learn it. If you know the older specification for HTML, version 4 should be easy to learn.

I could have used one of the many free and paid for online website editing and hosting places, but decided not to. Because I wanted to learn HTML 4 and I just feel more comfortable coding a site by hand.

Image1.jpg

I am using a image snapshot because I don't have hosting yet and it's all files on my hard drive somewhere. This is the index and starting point, with a easy to use navbar to the left. The Plautilla coin displayed here is one of six in a random image generator JavaScript.

Picking a name for a website doesn't seen easy for me. I decided to go for the Ancient Whitesheet for the time being. Always open to suggestions for a name but I may stick to what I have now. Who knows.

Image3.jpg

This is of course a links page which included links to a lot of websites. Also sections for YouTube videos, forum sites and reference site links, and my own photo gallery sites.

Image2.jpg

Here is a sample of my coin galleries. I only have a limited number of coins but enough to browse through. I have a few fully developed galleries that I am linking to on this site. For example, I have 15 Roman Imperial, 7 Roman Provincial, 1 Roman Republic, 2 Greek, 4 Byzantine, 7 in the other region category. I feel that is enough coins to browse though. I am planning to add a few more Greek and especially Roman Republic coins because I have so few of them currently.

Of course I'm going to be working on the site and improving it because sites always seem to be under construction, more or less. I want to leave the navigation style as is because it is so easy for me to get around the site and hopefully for other people as well once I decide it's complete enough to release.

My plans are to finish tweaking the general design until I get it where I like and then to start writing some basic articles. It's very difficult to figure out any ideas for articles because by now, just about everything is covered elsewhere on other great websites.

Well, I hope you like the preview. Please keep in mind that it's very new more or less.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That looks very promising and well organized! I look forward to the live site.

Sallent, Mikey Zee and Gil-galad like this.
  4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Congrats 'Gil' !!!

I wish i had your drive and and expertise---but I'm just a bit too lazy---not to mention digitally challenged---to even attempt anything similar LOL

Me too !!!:)

Gil-galad likes this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'm not even certain where to start. TIF tried to help me, but I think I'm hopeless.

Gil-galad likes this.
  6. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Where to start is one of the hardest parts, to be honest. Because you need to know what kind of design to make and whatever you need to learn to operate website editing.

I'm definitely not an expert at HTML at all but I know enough to get by.

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that looks pretty darn cool GG, i can't wait to see the live product. keep us posted!

Gil-galad likes this.
  8. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Looks purty good so far Gil, nice job. ;)

Gil-galad likes this.
  9. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the real thing :D

Gil-galad likes this.
  10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

It looks like it's coming along well, Gil. Wish I had more motivation and discipline to do what you're doing.

Gil-galad likes this.
  11. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Image4.jpg

Here is a preview of the front index page of the gallery with a short description of each category. As well as an appendix that will be used as a reference. For example, if you wanted to know more about Antioch, a description will be there. The appendix will only have relevant terms according to the coins I have in the gallery, so the list will be limited.

12. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Looks great. (oops, is that a Tony the Tiger line?)

Gil-galad likes this.
  13. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Impressive! I also am digitally challenged, and don't expect to do anything remotely similar...but look forward to seeing the live product.

14. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

As someone who is also building a website, I applaud your efforts and look forward to adding your site to my bookmarks some day!

Gil-galad likes this.
  15. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I do appreciate that very much. I also need to add the URL to your site, if you'd be so kind as to give it to me. Thank you.

16. John Anthony

17. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Image5.jpg

Here is another preview of the appendix section of the coin gallery. The list is going to be long so I added go to links, you can click on one and you will be taken directly to that section or back up to the top. I figure it will make it easier to navigate instead of having to scroll back and forth which can be a pain when reading reference material.

Thanks guys for the comments and keep reading the post as I'm going to post more previews later on. Thank you.

zumbly, Aidan_() and Jwt708 like this.
  18. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I just added the link to my links page. Thanks again.

You have a very informative site about Nabataean coinage. I've read it before and learned more about those coins than I ever knew before.

19. John Anthony

Or ever wanted to probably, lol. I have copious research prepared for the coinage of Obodas II at this point, but what is not copious is the time I need to compile and upload it all. As you've probably figured out by now, this sort of project is a LOT of work.

Gil-galad likes this.
  20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Pretty slick, Daryl ... yah, apparently you've got more coin-time on your hands and far more computer-skilz than Bing and I (you rock => I am very impressed)

Sadly, "my" definition of a coin-site => is pretty much where I lay down my coins and look at 'em

:oops:

Mikey Zee and Sallent like this.
  21. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I supposed you'd need to take some time off selling coins in order to work on the site or a very little at a time. I for sure know how much time it takes to make a web site. Not to mention time, but a lot of thought as well. Just for a single paragraph I set thinking about how to write it and what to include for more than an hour. Some are of course very quick to write.

Draft saved Draft deleted