New ANA Ancient

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by CoinMike747, Feb 2, 2014.

1. CoinMike747

CoinMike747 Barber Connoisseur

Greetings fellow ancient collectors,
    I have decided to participate in the ANA's Ancient Coin Project, and yesterday received my first coin from the program! It is a Claudius II, or better known as Claudius Gothicus, Antoninianus. This happens to be first ancient with an animal depicted, so to me this is rather exciting.;) Here it is: test2-horz.jpg
    The cropping of this coin was quite difficult, but after some time here is the finished product!
    Thanks for looking and feel free to post any similar ancients!
    -Mike

RaceBannon, zumbly, vlaha and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Great coin Mike, it good to see others branch out to Ancient coins, welcome to the dark side..;) Your picture looks good too!!

CoinMike747 likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I also have a posthumous Claudius II from a large unattributed mixed lot. It might benefit from some careful cleaning.

DivoClaudioSMLMed.jpg

Claudius II Gothicus
    268-270 AD
    Posthumous issue, 317-318 (?)
    AE4, 16 mm, 2.2 gm
    Obv: DIVO CLAVDIO OPT IMP (or OPTIMA, not sure); veiled bust right
    Rev: MEMORIAE AETERNAE; eagle standing right with head left, wings open
    Mint: Rome? should have R_ (P, S, T, Q) in exergue; can't see the MM
    Ref: RIC VII Rome, 112?

zumbly, vlaha, John Anthony and 3 others like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice coin, Mike. Always nice to see new collectors. Dont hesitate to ask questions, if you have any.

6. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

I think the ANA has done a nice job in promoting Ancient numismatics.

Your coin is just dripping with history. Claudius II Gothicus is a forgotten, but important emperor who began the turnaround of the Roman Empire at the depths of the Third Century crisis. Claudius helped to reverse the destructive penetration into the Roman Empire by the Goths. The neutralizing of this barbarian threat allowed later emperors (especially Aurelian) to later reunify a splintering Roman Empire.

Unfortunately for the Roman Empire, the very capable Claudius died during the Cyprian plague (probably smallpox) around AD 270.

Always good stuff:

guy

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  7. CoinMike747

Not a new collector, but I'm still an infant when it comes to ancient coin knowledge. Thank you anyways! ;):cool: Thanks for the comments everyone!

8. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Double post. Sorry.

9. CoinMike747

Wow, thank you for the history and video!:) You have given me a whole new appreciation of this coin that wikipedia did not do.

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Very cool new pick-up ... yup, ya gotta love dem animal coins!! (well done)

CoinMike747 likes this.
  11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Good coin. Here is my version:
    Claudius_II_7_opt.jpg
    CLAUDIUS II (GOTHICUS) Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: DIVO CLAVDIO, radiate head right
    REVERSE: CONSECRATIO, eagle standing facing with head right or left.
    Struck at Rome, 270 AD
    3.4g, 22mm
    RIC 266

I just checked and I paid $5.42 shipped

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    zumbly, vlaha, John Anthony and 3 others like this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This confuses me absolutely. Please clarify what they are teaching. The first types used on ancients from c.600 BC were almost all animals. There are relatively fewer later than that one.

TIF: Your coin is a rather less common variation and is worth any effort you spend on it. These smaller ones are harder to find than the also small but larger commemoratives with the seated figure on the reverse.

13. CoinMike747

I apologize for my minor error Doug, I forgot to include the word "my" before first.

YOC and stevex6 like this.
  14. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Cool coin CoinMike747! Congrats!
    Did you do a project?

CoinMike747 likes this.
  15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

16. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice new coin CM, i have one of those as well...but can't find my pics.

CoinMike747 likes this.
  17. CoinMike747

Thanks! I had to do three of five different activities such as publish an article, do a talk on numismatics, etc. I'm actually going to submit for the second coin which is a Septimus Severus denarius!

18. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Nice pickup! Isn't it amazing to hold something nearly 2000 years old?

19. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

CoinMike747, it would be hear an overview of your projects. I am a member of a couple of coin clubs and have been trying get some of young numismatist aware of and involved in ANA programs:)

20. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

Never knew ya' were a fellow YN. Hail!

I considered doing the copper project, and the ancient at one point, but I got caught up in doing similar stuff. I.E. coin talks (pun fully intended).:D

Anyhow, I decided that I had better things to do (Umm, schoolwork anyone?), so the idea was axed.

Thumbs down.jpeg

CoinMike747 likes this.
  21. You won't be disappointed with the program. Unfortunately, I was passed the cut off age by the time I found out about the program. I had a pretty good discussion with an individual who was a fairly prominent participant in the YN ancient coin program, Steve Feltner. He was a coin dealer at All Good Coin in St George, UT. He has since been recruited by one of the grading companies to grade and slab coins in California. After he completed the program, he would regularly attend to help. He received some fairly decent coins including a greek bronze depicting the poet, Homer, seated on the back, an aspendus olympic stater, and some AE denomination I don't recall with Geta and Caracalla depicted on the front facing each other. The AE was fairly interesting as Geta's head had been struck from the surface. Per Steve's explanation, after Caracalla had Geta executed, he ordered all depictions of him to be struck out with a stamp when the coin crossed the path of a Roman Merchant. (I may have ruined the official story, if anyone knows anything more about it.) Regardless, the program is great from what I heard and can pay off up to $2,000 in ancients.

CoinMike747 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted