New Ammon Addition

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Exodus_gear, Sep 14, 2020.

1. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

...I've posted this before, but I'm wondering, is it time? Just for one instance of the Pharoahnic prototype, Amun (as in, Tut-Ankh-Amun), from a c. 3rd-c. BCE amulet from Meroe. If you squint, you can see the curved horns. (This came with lots of solid provenance, by way of Christie's.) MEROE, AMULET1.jpg MEROE, AMULET2.jpg
    The Meroitic (and before that, the Napatan) kingdom had direct political and dynastic descent from the 25th pharaohnic dynasty. As such, each of the succeeding polities had a decidedly conservative cosmological bias, especially where Amun was concerned. Amun was effectively the dynasty's patron deity.
    ...Right, and as of the 3rd c. BCE, Meroe had direct contact with Ptolemaic Egypt. Apparently on a wide spectrum, ranging from warfare to what almost looks like cooperation, notably relating to one temple of Amun that was on the border between them.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Exodus_gear

Exodus_gear Well-Known Member

Back at it once again, I had to take a small break to recoup after having all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. It was not a fun experience, so I treated myself to some new coins for my Ammon collection! Have one more I won, that Ill post up a bit later, but loving the portraits.

02530Q00.jpg

KASSANDREIA. Geta as Caesar, AD 198 - 209. AE ø 19mm (5.60g). Obv .: P SEP GETAS CAE, draped armored bust to the right. Rev .: COL IVLIA AVG CAS, head of Jupiter Ammon n. R. Varbanov GIC III 3369; From private collection in southern Germany, E. L. Condition: green-brown patina, ss

4. Exodus_gear

The second one I managed to get from the same AH, they should be on the way. I need to try and find more silver Ammon for my collection and start saving up again for a Lysimachos Tet.

02529Q00.jpg

KASSANDREIA. Septimius Severus, 193-211 AD. AE ø 21mm (5.98g). Obv .: IMP C L SEP SEVER AVG, draped bust with laurel wreath to the right. Rev .: COL IVLI AVG CASS, head of Jupiter Ammon to the right. AMNG 14; SNG Evelpidis 1212; Varbanov 3361. RR!

From private collection in southern Germany, E. L.

Condition: Green-brown patina, good ss

Edessa, +VGO.DVCKS, finny and 6 others like this.
  5. I_v_a_n

I_v_a_n Well-Known Member

There are a several perfect depictions of Ammon at electrum. I'am lucky to own this Phocaea hekte, but also dreaming about a Cysicene with 3/4 facing Ammon depiction....
    ZEUS_obvece-1.jpg ZEUS_Reverce-1.jpg

6. I_v_a_n

I_v_a_n Well-Known Member

And a Son of the Ammon depiction of cource.
    Lysimachus.jpg

7. Exodus_gear

This one should arrive by next week some time. The collection slowly grows. Hoping to see a few new ones on MA-SHOP and Vcoins later, in the mean time keeping an eye on some auctions.

Egypt Ptolemaic Kings, Ptolemy VI Philometor, 180-145 BC, AE 20 mm, 7.52 grms, Obv. Diademed head of Zeus Ammon right, Rev. Pair of eagles standing left on thunderbolt

ammon.jpg

8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

My only Zeus Ammon coin:

Antoninus Pius Billon Tetradrachm, Year 12 (148-149 AD), Alexandria, Egypt Mint. Obv. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, ΑΝΤѠΝ(Ɛ)ΙΝΟϹ ϹƐΒ ƐVϹƐΒ (beginning at 2:00) / Draped bust of Zeus-Ammon right, crowned with disk [partially off flan], L ΔѠΔƐΚΑΤΟV [Year 12 spelled out] (clockwise from lower left). RPC IV.4 Online 13625 [temporary number] (see https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/13625) [this coin is Specimen 13, ex. Emporium Hamburg 71, 8 May 2014, lot 186; see https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coin/112517] ; Emmett 1442.12; Milne 1972; Dattari (Savio) 2408; Köln (Geissen) 1588; Sear RCV II 4360. 23 mm., 12.60 g. (Purchased from Herakles Numismatics, Sept 2020).

Antoninus Pius (Alexandria Mint), Zeus Ammon reverse -jpg version from Paint.jpg
    Plus, as I recently explained in another thread, my new lion & sun disk scarab (probably 26th Dynasty from the area of Naukratis in the Nile Delta) represents Amun-Ra, either through the sun disk alone or through an acrophonic message coded in the entire image:

Lion & sun disk scarab underside 2.jpg

scarab impression 2.jpg

Edessa, I_v_a_n, Broucheion and 5 others like this.
  9. Silphium Addict

Silphium Addict Well-Known Member

Very nice Zeus Ammon coins!
    The first use of Zeus Ammon on coins were the Attic weight silver of Kyrenaika circa 500/490 - 475/470 BC when images were first added into reverse incuse squares.
    Here is one of my earliest examples with a nice archaic Zeus Ammon:

jt473.jpg
    Kyrene AR tetradrachm circa 490-470 BC Asyut 835 (this coin)
    17.02 gm 22 mm
    O: silphium plant with 2 silphium fruits at sides
    R: head Zeus Ammon left in incuse square

I_v_a_n, Bing, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  10. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Wow, @Silphium Addict, I never imagined there would be Archaic coins with Zeus Ammon! Always assumed that started with the Ptolemies, or Alexander himself.
    Very, Very cool.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Exodus_gear and Silphium Addict like this.
  11. Exodus_gear

I've seen a few of these and def would like to get one added in eventually. It will be a process as some can get high up in price. Though they will be worth it. I've also been eyeing some of the Lysimachos Ammon and those are pretty high up there as well.

Oh very nice!!! Is this the one that was on Vcoins (might be MA-SHOP) before? It looks really nice. Love the detail on Zeus!

DonnaML and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  12. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thanks. I bought it in September from a dealer on VCoins, so it's certainly possible that you saw it there.

Exodus_gear likes this.
  13. Exodus_gear

Got a bit lucky and managed to find this one on Ebay for a very reasonable price. Thus my Ammon collection slowly grows.

Vespasian Macedon Cassandrea AE 22
    IMP CAES VESPASIA AVG, Laureate Head Right / COL IVL AVG CASSANDRENS, Horned Head of Zeus Ammon Left. Varbanov 3327.

Moushmov 6303

20210330_165003.jpg 20210330_164919.jpg

Attached Files:

Bing, Johndakerftw and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted