New Akragas Hemilitron

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Theodosius, May 19, 2016.

1. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Received this Akragas Hemilitron today. It is a thick and hefty bronze coin with artistic devices. I really like the Triton on the reverse blowing his conch shell. He is the son of Poseidon and Amphitrite, god and goddess of the sea respectively, and is herald for his father. He is usually represented as a merman, having the upper body of a human and the tail of a fish. Triton was the supposed to be able to calm the seas by blowing on this shell.

Akragas Hemilitron1a.jpg

Sicily, Akragas, Ca 425-410 BC
    AE Hemilitron, 21.02 gm, 26mm
    Obv: Eagle with head reared, standing right on dead hare
    Rev: Crab; below, Triton right blowing into conch shell, six pellets around
    CNS 32, Rare

Post your Tritons, shells, and/or coins of Akragas.

John

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Oh, wow, marvelous coin! I love the head-rearing eagle and conch-blowing triton!

upload_2016-5-20_10-31-12.png
    SICILY, Akragas

Circa 500-406 BC
    AE Tetras or Trionkion
    9.97g, 20.6mm
    CNS I 52
    O: Eagle standing right, head lowered, on hare held in its talons.
    R: Crab gobbling a leaf; three pellets and crayfish swimming right below, mussel-shell (?) to right.

upload_2016-5-20_10-33-3.png
    PLAUTILLA
    AE Assarion
    3.68g, 19.4mm
    BITHYNIA, Nicomedia, circa AD 202-205
    RG 253 (same obv. die); Lindgren & Kovacs 172 (same obv. die)
    O: ΦOY ΠΛAYTIΛΛA CEBA-CTH, draped bust right.
    R: NIKOMHΔEΩN - ΔIC NEΩKO/PΩN, Triton swimming left, holding horn and trident.

4. Theodosius

Zumbly, I love the Plautilla Triton, great coin!

The crab eating the leaf on the Akragas is also very cool.

zumbly likes this.
  5. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Awesome Hemilitron.

I have a didrachm that a treasure!

Sicily, Akragas
    AR Nomos (BC 510-500)
    24 mm x 8.30 grams.
    Obverse: Eagle with closed wings standing l., AKRAC-ANTOS around
    Reverse: Crab.
    Ref: ANS 911. Dark gray toning

CRABC.jpg

6. Theodosius

Super didrachm, Noob!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is a wonderful bronze. What is the obverse legend? We only have to mourn the loss of three dots of the denomination. My worn bronze is also a hemilitron (three pairs of two dots each with one almost erased by the c/m) of a more common series overstruck with a head of Dionysos after the destruction of Akragas c.404 BC.
    g00500bb0489.jpg

The 0.68g silver is a whole litra from c.440 BC reminding me I do not have a half or smaller in silver from this city. Like a-noob's wonderful nomos, it has boustrophedon legend and uses an R of the style we know today rather than the standard Greek P (rho).
    g00362bb2675.jpg

8. noname

noname Well-Known Member

9. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Mine. I see not dots......
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Theodosius likes this.
  11. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Wonderful posts!!

I always need more coins but I'm sorely lacking 'Greek' issues since this is yet another type I'm missing...:sorry::(

BTW: I have a cool purchase pending;)

12. JeffM-Houston

JeffM-Houston Active Member

Very nice, I love the Akragas designs.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  13. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Eagle-bacon!!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  14. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

I welcome comments from other members, but I feel obligated to point out to you, Theodosius, that your coin, although covered with a heavy patina, would appear to be from the same dies as this example condemned as a fake:
    https://numismaticfakes.wordpress.com/tag/akragas/

Theodosius likes this.
  15. Theodosius

I wonder if that is a cast fake of a real coin? There are several similar examples to mine on the various search sites leading me to believe this is a real set of dies.

Any help from the community in evaluating this would be appreciated.

John

16. ancientnut

ancientnut Well-Known Member

It is, of course, possible that your coin was the host coin used by forgers. I don't profess to be an expert, but I would like to hear other opinons. I would also inform the seller immediately that you are attempting to verify authenticity.

Theodosius likes this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm. I signed up for that lamoneta to be able to view the coins under discussion (numismaticfakes cited a lamoneta discussion). Perhaps there are limitations of Google Translate, but the opinions regarding the coin shown (not the OP coin, but perhaps a die match) were mixed. I don't know anything about the people who rendered the opinions. Are they experts?

Before posting my original comment further upthread, I checked Forvm's fake gallery and didn't see any matches, but of course that database and all others are never considered complete.

chrsmat71 and Theodosius like this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

We continue to learn. I'm not alway clear on what I am learning beyond how little I know. That is an interesting site even with a few fakes found in major public collections.

Ancientnoob and Theodosius like this.
  19. Theodosius

My coin and the one in numisfakes have different flan shapes and centering so they are not casts of each other. They could both be struck fakes from the same fake dies. I will see if these dies are the same when I am at home and look for die matches with major collections and reference books.

It sure passes the looks and feels real in hand test but I realize that means little with a struck fake.

20. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Hoping the best Theo.

Mikey Zee and Theodosius like this.
  21. Theodosius

Thanks Bing. I got the coin from an established vcoins dealer so I feel confident if David Sear says it is a fake I will get my purchase price back.

Draft saved Draft deleted