New Airtite Albums

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mlov43, Jun 30, 2015.

1. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I know some of you are interested in airtite album/binder materials.

Here's a new series of airtite albums. You can buy them with, or without, a complete set of airtites for your coins. These are all US coin albums, btw!

http://www.valleycoin.com/index.php?cPath=9_409_1482

2293outer.jpg

Hope1275, Legacy, longnine009 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

This is intriguing, but they don't show the insides. My biggest issue with Type Set Albums is we don't seem to agree on which are and are not part of the type set. Any chance someone knows where there might be a list of what types they do and do not have in there?
    Also, I don't see the rubber inner ring; how well do these things hold? I worry about rattling in the case.
    Sorry for all the questions, but I have been looking for a way to display my working type set for quite some time and this looks pretty good. I went to www.capsalbums.com but none of the photos displayed so I'm at a loss. Thank you for posting!

4. Hope1275

Hope1275 Member

Actually, they do show one page inside. If you go to the page and click on the second image, you can see what coin each spot is for.

upload_2015-7-1_10-14-22.jpeg

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. Seattlite86

Thanks, for the input. I do see the first page, but I would like to know what the entire breakdown was.

6. Hope1275

Hope1275 Member

I hear you! That's my frustration, too. I really don't understand why they don't break it down since, as you said, not everyone agrees on or even wants the same thing. I want to start a 19th century collection next, but I don't necessarily want all the varieties, etc. Not at this point, anyway. Since I also hate having empty spaces in my collection, having a type set display with all the varieties would torture me... :nailbiting:

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. Seattlite86

Haha! Completely understandable. I actually would prefer to have extra holes that I can't afford to fill (I will always throw a "yet" in there when showing it off) than a coin I have that I believe is part of the type set but can't display.

Hope1275 likes this.
  8. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Contact the store, Valley Coin. Ask to see if they do "custom" album pages. I think they do.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

You can see the insides. Go to:
    http://www.valleycoin.com/index.php?cPath=9_409_1482_449

You can see all the albums there (don't forget to view the second page, at the little tiny "2" at the bottom). Lots of variety, as far as U.S. stuff is concerned.

You can buy airtites with black or white inserts, and this "CAPs" system can come with a complete "kit" of airtites of your choice. Some coins, like Kennedy Halves, only come in "direct-fit" airtites (no rings), according to the website. Click around at that link above.

I have black rings on my coins in the Dansco-made albums that I assembled for my Korean coins. NONE of them rattle, you only need to get the right ring size for your coins. They are not rubber, the "foam" rings are made out of an inert material called "Volara"(!)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. Seattlite86

I'm only seeing one page on the insides. Am I missing something?

11. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

12. Seattlite86

This is awesome; thank you for posting. This may be added to my birthday wishlist.

13. Seattlite86

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's opinion on its completeness. I'm not seeing different sized heraldic eagles or the no drapery dimes. Any input/thoughts?

14. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

The small heraldic eagle reverse coins were 18th century--not 19th. The "no-drapery" coins weren't really separate types, IMO, as much as they were individual die varieties, but I can see where one might want to include them.

All in all, it seems pretty comprehensive (at least, not counting gold)--much more so than, for example, a 7070.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Yea but you're not going to, say, put a heraldic eagle quarter in one of these anyway. Just looking at the quarters, I would have included the capped bust quarter (small) O/F reverse (terrible name as this is a deliberate type change in effect from 1833-1834), and the Barber Quarter type 1 reverse (1892).

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. Seattlite86

Good catch on the heraldics and thanks for your opinion on the no drapery. I definitely agree that this is much more comprehensive than the 7070 album.

I wonder if there are any blank airtite cases with blanks where I can write it in myself? I guess I should peruse the site.

17. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I think that the owner of the business can make page inserts that have pretty much anything written on them. Ask him: valleycoin.com

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

The pages shown have 61 labeled holes; my type set, if complete, will have ~115 coins (including 18th century and not including any 21st century). So to me the book is nice but it wouldn't meet my needs.

19. Seattlite86

Good point; I'm pretty sure it's easy to do since all the airtite slots appear to be the same size. How would the smaller coins work with all the slots being the same, just have a larger inner ring?

20. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Which is why I created my own type set album. Much easier that way to focus on the coins that are important to me.

21. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I like to put all of my less-than-crown-size coins in "H" size Air-Tites. For smaller coins, British shillings for example, that requires having two inner rings. Not too complicated once you work out the math.

Draft saved Draft deleted