new additions - Claudius II , Aurelian and Probus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by singig, Nov 21, 2020.

1. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Hello, I would like to share with you eight antoniniani that I bought in early October.
    The first four coins are scarce types, instead the others four are more common but very desired by collectors , as we saw in the recent ''PROBUS death'' thread.

This first antoninianus has an unusual mint mark ''SPQR'' used by some eastern mints(possibly Cyzicus) during the time of Gallienus to Claudius II.
    Claudius II , AE Antoninianus. Cyzicus mint. RIC 234
    IMP CLAVDIVS P F AVG, radiate, draped bust right, one dot under bust. /
    FORTUNA REDUX, Fortuna standing left holding rudder and cornucopiae. Mintmark SPQR.
    20,5 mm/ 2g

1claudiusII-1-v3.jpg

I bought this second coin for two main reasons , it's a pre-reform coin of Aurelian , with a Claudius II looks like portrait, struck on a small and thin flan. The second reason is the nice Concordia reverse. It's the only example I found with a lateral ''P'' mintmark(generally is under under the exergual line). Moving the ''P'' lateral has left more space to better represent Concordia.
    Aurelian , Antoninianus. Milan mint. RIC 117
    IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate, draped bust right /
    CONCORD LEGI, Concordia standing left, holding two standards. Mintmark P lateral right.
    20 mm/ 2 g

2aurelian11-v5.jpg

Also a pre-reform coin of Aurelian, it's also small but the flan is much ticker and Aurelian looks more like him :)
    Aurelian , AE Antoninianus. Siscia mint, AD 272-274. RIC 227
    IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate, draped, cuirassed bust right /
    IOVI CONSERVATORI, emperor standing right, receiving globe from Jupiter, standing left, holding sceptre. mintmark: star P
    20,5mm/ 3,5g

aurelian10.jpg

The left facing busts of Aurelian are much harder to find than Gallienus or Claudius II , and what is making the example more special is that the KA mintmark is missing.
    Aurelian , AE Antoninianus. Tripolis(or uncertain) mint, ca AD 274-275. RIC V-I 390
    IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust left /
    SOLI INVICTO, Sol standing left, captive at foot, holding globe and raising right hand. Star in left field. No Mintmark.
    22mm/ 2,9g

aurelian12-v3.jpg

Aurelian , AE Antoninianus. Serdica mint. RIC 279
    IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust right / ORIENS AVG, Sol walking left, holding globe and raising right hand, foot on one of two bound captives. Mintmark XXIP
    22,5mm/ 3.2g

aurelian13.jpg

Probus , Silvered AE Antoninianus. Rome mint. RIC 158
    PROBVS P F AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust right /
    ADVENTVS AVG, emperor on horseback, riding down an enemy, R(thunderbolt)Z below.
    23 mm/ 4,7g

probus22.jpg

I always wanted to have a ''facing quadriga'' of Probus , this coin will pair with a ''lateral view quadriga'' that I bought some years ago.
    Probus , Silvered AE Antoninianus. Rome mint, 280 AD. RIC 205
    IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, radiate, mantled bust left holding eagle-tipped sceptre /
    SOLI INVICTO, Sol in spread quadriga facing. Mintmark R.
    23-25mm/ 4g

probus21.jpg

Probus , Silvered AE Antoninianus, Ticinum, 277 AD , RIC 388
    VIRTVS PROBI AVG Radiate, helmeted, cuirassed bust left holding spear and shield. Bust type G. /
    IOVI CONSERVAT Emperor standing right, receiving globe from Jupiter standing left.
    Mintmark: // VXXT
    24,5mm/ 4g

probus23-v2.jpg

Please post similar types!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice group of coins, congrats.

singig likes this.
  4. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Thank you!

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice additions to the collection, you have some fine examples there.

singig likes this.
  6. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Thank you !

7. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Lovely. The amount of silvering still extant on the quadriga is astounding!

singig likes this.
  8. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Thanks ! Except the first one, unfortunately most of the coins here have only silver remains.

9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..great group of fine coins! :)

singig likes this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The pre-reform coin of Aurelian is quite good, maybe too good for what I wanted to show when I bought mine. Aurelian's reform was driven by his displeasure with the mint management and lead to the revolt of Felicissimus. Your coin does not scream poor workmanship like my first one does. See how I try to say a bad coin is better than a nice one?
    rs2210bb1955.jpg
    My second one with lateral officina is better but not a lot and nothing like what we get post reform.
    rs2200bb1068.jpg

Post-reform coins are easier to find well struck.
    rs2260b02196lg.jpg

11. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Congrats singig , I especially like the Probus Adventus.

Here are my favorite Probus, Aurelius and Claudius II Folli:

No silver left on this one:

P1130616 (2).JPG

P1140261ttm b (2).jpg Spes.JPG

12. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Thank you !

ominus1 likes this.
  13. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Thank you ! , when I started to identify the coins I found your interesting Aurelian article on the forum, with a lot of important information about its reforms of the currency. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/aurelian.html

I have one question about the slivering method used on the antoniniani form this period . The silver layer applied on antoniniani is much thinner and fragile that the one we see on the fourrée denarii. For denarii the copper flan was covered with silver and struck after , was the method used for antoniniani different ? , why their silver layer is lost so easy and they still preserve excellent details ?

DonnaML likes this.
  14. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Andres2 likes this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I wish I knew. I am not even convinced that all mints and all periods in the hundred years the coins were silvered did it the same way. There is a great deal of difference in the appearance of silvered coins. Some of this is certainly due to how the coin was buried and cleaned but some, I believe, shows that some mints did a better job applying the silver. The thin silver was not a bonded foil like the best fourrees but more likely applied chemically. When I worked in a old fashion photographic laboratory, we would place copper cents in well used fixer chemicals and plate them with silver. Someone back then discovered a way but I do not know the details. Does anyone?

DonnaML and singig like this.
  16. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

A fun and attractive group, @singig! I will post one coin of each of these emperors, choosing some I haven't posted in a while.

Claudius II. Lanky Neptune holding a little dolphin. What's not to like?
    Claudius II NEPTVN AVG.jpg
    Claudius II, AD 268-270.
    Roman billon Antoninianus, 4.12 g, 20.6 mm, 5 h.
    Antioch, 1st emission, AD 268-269.
    Obv: IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG, radiate and draped bust of Claudius Gothicus, right.
    Rev: NEPTVN AVG, Neptune, standing left, holding dolphin in right hand and trident in left hand; A in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 214; MER/RIC temp 1018; Cohen 183; RCV 11353; Hunter 78; Huvelin 1990, 5.

Pre-reform Aurelian. This shows the decline in quality control didn't affect all mints.
    [​IMG]
    Aurelian AD 270-275.
    Roman silvered billon Antoninianus, 4.29 gm, 23.4 mm.
    Uncertain Balkan mint, issue 1, AD 271-272.
    Obv: IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: LIBERT AVG, Libertas standing left, holding pileus and scepter.
    Refs: RIC 396; MER/RIC temp 2447; CBN 958; Sear 11555; MIR 270a; Cohen 119.

My favorite and most photogenic Probus:
    [​IMG]
    Probus, AD 276-282.
    Roman billon antoninianus, 4.96 g, 23.2 mm, 7 h.
    Lugdunum, fourth emission, mid-to late AD 277.
    Obv: IMP C PROBVS·P·F·AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: ABVNDANTIA AVG, Abundantia standing right, emptying cornucopiae held in both hands; IIII (officina 4) in exergue.
    Refs: RIC 17; Bastien 195.

DonnaML, singig, Alegandron and 3 others like this.
  17. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Thanks for your answer !, this morning I found an interesting experimental investigation done by British Museum and the University of Bradford on 128 silvered coins(antoniniani, tetrarchic nummi and debased nummi) from the period 260 A.D. to 350 A.D. They are presenting and testing some possible methods for the production of the plating.

Experimental investigation of silvering in late Roman coinage
    https://www.researchgate.net/profil...gation-of-silvering-in-late-Roman-coinage.pdf

DonnaML and Roman Collector like this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great clutch of captures, @singig !

Here are a few of mine:

Dough dropped on the floor
    upload_2020-11-22_9-10-14.png
    RI Claudius II Gothicus 268-270 BI Ant Fortuna

Aurelian
    upload_2020-11-22_9-11-26.png
    RI Aurelian 270-275 CE AE Ant receiving Globe from Jupiter

Probus
    upload_2020-11-22_9-12-47.png
    RI Probus 276-282 CE BI Ant 2.80g captives l and r Cohen 768

Andres2, Bing, DonnaML and 3 others like this.
  19. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Thank you !, you did a nice selection .
    I looked more at the Milan mint pre-reform coins, I think they did a nice job.
    I'm watching a nice Probus from Lugdunum , with Felicitas , I hope to buy it in January.

DonnaML likes this.
  20. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Thank you , nice portraits !

Alegandron likes this.
  21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I might suggest if your bread dough looks like this, you need a bit more water and kneading.

Properly hydrated dough dropped on the floor with Diana and Apollo SALVS AVG:)
    Note the light dusting of flour silvering.
    rq2148bb3143.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted