New addition to my numismatic library

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Cinco71, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Cinco71

Cinco71 Well-Known Member

Just got the David Sears' book pictured below in the mail. I've browsed through it a bit, and my god, it's a meaty tome. He isn't kidding when he titled it "The History and Coinage" of that time. Seems just as much an in-depth study of the Imperatorial period as it is a book on their coinage. But then again, coinage is a record of history, isn't it?

Anyway, I can't wait to devote some time to this text, though I fear what it'll do to my wallet. At first I need to just focus on reading up on the Imperatorial coins I already have before I get auction crazy trying to expand my collection beyond my means.

This all begs the question of what numismatic books are you either currently reading or are looking forward to cracking open? Please post yours!

Sears book.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BasSWarwick

BasSWarwick Well-Known Member

Coins of England Pre-Decimal Issues. Spink
    540 pages starting at 150 BC with Celtic coinage

4. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

@Cinco71 the HCRI book is in my top 3 numismatic books. Good buy

Q

DonnaML and Cinco71 like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I recently purchased the Decimal book.
    20220115_151521.jpg

6. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Oh I love that book! It is well written, comprehensive, and the best history book on the Roman Imperators. Got a signed copy directly from Sear.

My newest coin book just arrived:

IMG_5216.jpg

7. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Hours and hours of fun analyzing more than 1900 hoards !

3FE791C1-48F8-4AAB-8181-EAF036EDF52C.jpeg

8. Hamilcar Barca

Hamilcar Barca Well-Known Member

I enjoy reading these books almost as much as collecting the coins. Over the years I find I have quite the extensive numismatic library. It all started with:
    [​IMG]
    By reading this the adventure began.
    I am currently trying to find the book "Corpus Numicorum Punicorum" to learn more about the Carthaginian coins I have.

If any of you have any leads on this book, please let me know.

9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I'm still learning my ABC's.

10. Silphium Addict

Silphium Addict Well-Known Member

@Hamilcar Barca I see Viola's Corpus Nummorum Punicorum 2010 is currently out of stock and can't find any for sale at this time. I usually just keep searching by the name about monthly until I see one available and check the numismatic literature auctions until I find something.

I also collect Punic coins and have found CNP to be extremely useful. It is 960 pages and fairly complete with 951 entries. Very nice to be in English in addition to Italian. The catalog is arranged by iconography, then by metal and size. It can be a little confusing at first but gets easier with use. The iconographic key has 290 images with the first being a horse in various positions. Each catalogue entry has a line drawing, description, metal, size, weight, mint, varieties and most importantly a list of reference citations and sales for the type keyed to two appendices. There are 24 plates with images of some of the coins of varying quality but the coin can be identified.

There are images of a page and plate at "Corpus Nummorum Punicorum" on Facebook. Paolo Visona wrote an excellent review: Numismatic Chronicle Vol. 172 (2012), pp. 365-366. (Available at JSTOR)

I hope you are able to find a copy soon. I don't know if a second edition is being prepared, but it might be worth checking with the publisher.

Cinco71 and Hamilcar Barca like this.
  11. Hamilcar Barca

Hamilcar Barca Well-Known Member

Thank you! This book was auctioned about a month ago at, I think, Bertolami. They generally have much numismatic literature at auction. It hammered at 440 euros or about $500 plus fees and shipping. Maybe I will regret not chasing it but this was more than I was willing to do.

It will come up again sooner or later. Thanks again.

Cinco71 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted