New acquisitions in June 2018.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by altaycoins, Jun 21, 2018.

1. altaycoins

altaycoins altaycoins

I would like to share few coins that I've added to my collection in the last month. I am pretty happy that almost all of them are all either rare types or from rare mints. I am expecting one more amazing coin and I will add it here when it will arrive.

Let's start.

First one is a silver 6 dirham (equivalent to one dinar) from Abu Said. The mint Shabankara is a rare mint from the southern Iran.

Ilkhans, Abu Sa'id, AR 6 Dirham, Shabankara, 722.​
    [​IMG]

Second one is an extremely rare mint of Khurtu (Hortu). It is a village near today's Eskişehir in Turkey. This village is supposed to be the birthplace of the character of Nasir ed-Din Hoja who is a famous character known with his folkloric (and ironic) stories.

Ilkhans, Abu Sa'id, AR 2 Dirham, Khurtu, Khani 33.​
    [​IMG]

Third one. Although there is a hole on it, I don't mind as it is a fals that I haven't seen before (and I am currently preparing a catalog on Ilkhan bronze coins).

Ilkhans, Uljaytu, AE Fals, Nakhjawan , DM.​
    [​IMG]

Number four is a common type but a very rare mint from the northeastern Turkey.

Ilkhans, Abu Sa'id, AR 2 Dirham, Belakhur, 722 AH.​
    [​IMG]

Fifth coin that I want to show you is a present from a member of CoinTalk THCoins. I would like to thank him once again. It is a rare fals from today's Erzincan (Arzinjan) in eastern Turkey. It is double pictorial with a hawk on the obverse and horseman on the reverse.

Ilkhans, Abu Sa'id, AE Fals, Arzinjan, ND.
    [​IMG]

Ah sixth one is a common type with a common mint. But I liked its condition. This type bears three different type of scripts: arabic, uyghur-mongolian and Phags-pa (an alphabet developed by Tibetian monks)

Ilkhans, Ghazan Mahmud, AR 1 Dirham, Mawsil, 700 AH.
    [​IMG]

Seventh one is again a very rare fals with a gorgeous design. And it is in superb condition as most of the Ilkhan bronzes came out to be pretty poor. And it has a great toning that can be seen only at a certain angle. After realizing this, I started to add photos of coins at hand to my website too.

Ilkhans, Abu Sa'id, AE Fals, Tabriz, 726 AH.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last but not least, a rare silver dirham of Arghun citing his son Ghazan Mahmud as the governor of the East. In the checklist of Steve Album it is listed as RRR. I am happy that it survived from the postal system. It came from US to the Netherlands in a week and spent 3 weeks extra within the country. Then after a day of starting an investigation, it arrived.

Ilkhans, Arghun, AR 1 Dirham, Jurjan, 68x? AH.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I have found a die-identical specimen (image property Ralph Cannito)
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice additions!

spirityoda and altaycoins like this.
  4. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Those are beautiful and very interesting coins from regions that we don't often see here on the Ancients Forum. It's great to have a forum member with such an interest and knowledge! Did you acquire all of those in just one month? :wideyed:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    altaycoins and spirityoda like this.
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

very interesting coins.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  6. altaycoins

altaycoins altaycoins

Yes indeed. When a rare coin from Ilkhans shows up I start to sweat, my hands start to tremble :) And this month was exceptional, so many rare coins showed up. There are more than this that has slipped away from my hands... But I am happy with what I got :D

Kentucky, spirityoda and Deacon Ray like this.
  7. arashpour

arashpour Well-Known Member

@altaycoins very interesting Ilkhan coins! I have also some Ilkhan coins I got recently but I don't think they are rare mint as yours.

1. Ilkhan. Hulagu Missing mint and date Mardin style A-2122.2

Hulaku1.jpg Hulaku2.jpg

2. genghis khan billon jittal 4.14 gram mint of Kurraman. rare A-1970A Ex-Morton & Eden

genghiz1.jpg genghiz2.jpg

3. Ilkhanid Abu said 6 dirham A-2213 Year 730 AH Isfarayin mint

abusaid1.jpg abusaid2.jpg

4. Ilkhanid Abaqa Khan. Qaan Adil type. No mint assume Tiflis 2.72 gram Year 668AH Month Rabi ul-awal Rare A-2135

Abaqa1.jpg Abaqa2.jpg

5. Ilkhanid Gaykhatu (690-694 AH ) Dinar Mint of Tabriz date unclear Gaykhatu cited with his mongolian name IrenjinTurji 4.32gram Diler 231; A-2158.1

gaykhatu1.jpg Gaykhatu2.jpg

8. arashpour

6. Ilkhanid Uljaytu 1304-1316 AD 6 Dirham Mint of Sabzawar Year 714 AH A-2187 type C

Uljaytu1.jpg Uljaytu2.jpg

7. ILKHAN: Abu Sa'id, 1316-1335, AV ingot dinar (9.05g), Jajerm, AH729, A-2212, lovely strike, VF.

AbuSaid_Ilkhan_1.jpg AbuSaid_Ilkhan_2.jpg
    8. ILKHAN: Abaqa, 1265-1282, AV dinar (5.75g), Baghdad, DM, A-2126.1, about 10% flatness

Abaqa_Ilkhan_1.jpg Abaqa_Ilkhan_2.jpg

Attached Files:

9. altaycoins

altaycoins altaycoins

Great coins! I liked the Uljaytu 6 dirham! By the way qaaniks are no longer rare. In the last 2 years a hoard of 10.000 coins have been unearthed

Deacon Ray and Pellinore like this.
  10. arashpour

Thanks @altaycoins Oh I didnt know about this hoard. Where was it found? Do you have any info about it? some qaaniks miss months but the one I have has month too. I like your coins too any more ilkhan coins? any gold ilkhan? Also I am desperate to find a nice ilkhan coin with zoomophoric icons like lion and sun etc do you have any or know where to find these?

11. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Very nice collection of coins shown here !
    Good to hear that you are working on a catalog of Ilkhan bronzes. I think that will be very much welcomed.
    Here a 2-Dirham, Abu Sa'id from Akhlat, which i may have shown before, but i think it is quite nice:
    AbuSaidAkhlatWeb2.jpg

12. arashpour

I only have one ilkhan bronze which is Uljaytu mint of shiraz
    Uljaytu3.jpg

Johndakerftw and Deacon Ray like this.
  13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

wow what a collection. you are getting me to want to collect some of them. the ones that look like stars. 1 of my separate topical/themed collections is "coins with stars". those gold ones look so interesting too.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Deacon Ray likes this.
  14. arashpour

@spirityoda happy to hear you like Ilkhan coins. I'm actually surprised not many people collect ilkhanid compared to Roman and Greek although in my opinion Mongols and Genghis and his dynasty were more mighty rulers and collecting their coins should have been more popular. I suggest you buy at Steve auction album it's safe and authentic and you can get nice Mongol coins such as the one I got with very reasonable bids.

15. altaycoins

altaycoins altaycoins

Finally here is the last one from the June additions:

Ilkhans, Uljaytu, AR 2 Dirham, Medine Firuzan (very rare mint), 710 AH.
    [​IMG]

16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Gorgeous coins @altaycoins ... I am sorry that I missed your thread!

This is an area that I am slowly learning, and I am slowly acquiring some examples.

Not an Ilkhan, but a forerunner:

Mongols-Ghazna Genghis Khan 1206-1227 CE AE Jital Islamic RARE - only The Just Kahn in title O-R.JPG
    Great Mongols, Genghis (Chingiz) Khan,
    AH 603-624/ AD 1206-1227,
    AE Jital (4.12gm, 2h),
    Ghazna type, undated, citing Genghis as Khaqan and
    citing on the reverse, the 'Abbasid caliph al-Nasir. O: 'adl / khaqan / al-a'zam("the Just and Supreme Khaqan" or "Just [coin] of the Supreme Khaqan"). R: al-Nasir / li-Din Allah / amir al-mu- / -minin ("al-Nasir li-Din Allah, commander of the faithful").
    SICA-9, 1008; Tye 329; Album 1969. Very Fine

And a roughly contemporary:

upload_2018-7-16_7-57-19.png
    AYYUBID Caliphate -
    Saladin al-Nasir Salah al Din Yusuf
    AH564-589 1169-1193 CE
    AR Dirham
    RARE mint

Johndakerftw, spirityoda and TheRed like this.
  17. arashpour

Just got my missing Ilkhan a week ago .

ex stephen album

Ghazan Mahmud
    AR 2 dirhams
    Mint: Astarabad
    year:AH 69X
    Ref: A-2172
    VF-XF

Ghazan.jpg

18. arashpour

Very Nice coin with amazing mint! Where did you find it? I never heard of that mint. is that city exist in modern times?

altaycoins likes this.
  19. altaycoins

altaycoins altaycoins

Thanks @arashpour I got it on ebay. It is indeed a very rare mint near Isfahan but not exist today (It is mint no 77 on my Ilkhan mint map).

20. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Here is my Ilkan coin:

IlKhan2922.jpg
    22-21 mm. 3.53 grams.

I don't know much about them, but have SICA volume 9 and I think it is
    508, plate 26, from Tabriz, year 722 (1322 AD).

SICA = Sylloge of Islamic Coins in the Ashmolean [Museum, Oxford]. I got it because I had this coin and I collect reference works. Some collectors just collect coins. Not me. I also collect the books that go with them.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  21. altaycoins

altaycoins altaycoins

I have two specimens of your coin:

http://altaycoins.com/sikke_detay.asp?rnd=NTAz&dil=Mg==

http://altaycoins.com/sikke_detay.asp?rnd=NTM2&dil=Mg==

Draft saved Draft deleted