New acquisition--matronly Sabina

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

This denarius arrived in the mail a few days ago. It has a realistic--though not particularly flattering--portrait of the empress. Post your Sabinas or anything you feel is relevant.

Sabina Concordia seated with Spes denarius.jpg
    Sabina, AD 117-137
    Roman AR denarius 3.43 g
    Rome, AD 129
    Obv: SABINA AVGVSTA HADRIANI AVG P P, diademed and draped bust, right; hair in plait behind neck
    Rev: CONCORDIA AVG, Concordia enthroned left, holding patera and resting on statuette of Spes; cornucopiae below seat
    Refs: RIC 398; BMCRE 895; Cohen 12; RCV 3919

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Thank you for showing that coin, RC. Up until now I had not paid attention to the progression of her designs, but your example has made me pay attention to it. Here is a coin from my collection which seems to me to show an earlier state of progress in her image toward what you are calling her "matronly" figure.

SABINA AVGVSTA - HADRIANI AVG [PP] // PVDICITIA
    Pudicitia stands facing left, drawing at veil
    BMC 911

However here we need to be careful that we are not misled by the lack of detail in her hair and ear on your coin. Against that problem I point to the gradual development of a double chin.

Sabina-den2-sm.jpg

Here (below) is another example in which the doubling of the chin is not apparent.

SABINA - AVGVSTA // CONCOR - DIA AVG
    Concordia seated left on throne, cornucopiae beneath, holding patera in right hand; scepter in left
    BMC 929

Sabina-dens-sm.jpg
    Not sure about the relative chronology of these pieces, but the question is starting to grab my attention.

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Though matronly and perhaps not flattering, I think there's a certain dignity to these Sabina portraits.

I had a decent Sabina denarius in my old A(ugustus) to Z(eno) collection, but alas, that's one of the ones for which no picture now survives. Gradewise, it was probably similar to the one in the OP, though the portrait looked younger, as I recall. It had some nice contrasting "antique grey" sort of toning, which I do like on silver.

5. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Nice Sabina, Roman Collector:) It has a notorious 'robust' portrait, matronly as you call it. This is only the second example I have seen of this more mature bust type, and I wonder also how it fits in the sequence of her denarii.

Here are some of my coins for Sabina.
    Aesthetically the ones I find most pleasing are the one showing her with a high hair style.

Sabina denarius concordia-obv - 1.jpg Sabina denarius concordia-rev - 1.jpg Sabina denarius Junoni Regina-Obv - 1.jpg Sabina denarius Junoni Regina-Rev - 1.jpg Sabina sestertius-generi-obv - 1.jpg Sabina sestertius-generi-rev - 1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  6. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Here is a sestertius and an as showing Sabina with the 'high' hair style.
    Would love to add a denarius with this particular hairstyle, but they tend to be quite expensive.

Sabina sestertius-concordia-obv - 1.jpg Sabina sestertius-concordia-rev - 1.jpg Sabina as-Obv - 1.jpg Sabina as-Rev - 1.jpg

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

8. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Nice Sabina,

It looks like Spes is standing on globe

Best

eric

9. lordmarcovan

OK, so I was going completely by the memory of that coin, since I bought it nearly a decade ago.

Curiosity just made me dig through my archived VCoins orders and I found it.

Bought it from Steve McBride (Incitatus Coins) in December of 2007, for $89 plus shipping ($93 USD total).

It's not as high grade as I'd remembered it being. But I was right about the handsome old cabinet toning. It was a nice coin that definitely met my standards at the time.

[​IMG]

10. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

I need a decent Sabina. There is something about this ghostly image that makes me love this coin, even though it is worth around $1.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sabina
    Coin: Bronze As
    SABINA AVGVSTA HADRIANI AVG P P - Diademed bust right, braided hair coiled on top of head
    S C in ex, - Ceres seated on basket, holding grain ears & torch.
    Mint: Rome (128-134 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 10.29g / 27mm / -
    Rarity: Scarce
    References:
    • RIC 1023
    • Cohen 70

11. lordmarcovan

That's one of those "clunkers" with loads of character and charm. I'd say it's worth way more than a buck! Rough? Sure. But appealing? Yes, in an odd sort of way. Even with that state of porosity, the high relief of the portrait still "pops", and it's still a cool coin. Fun!

Like you say, "there is something about this ghostly image"...

12. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

YDIA, Mostene Sabina Ae 14 Bipennis, grapes, corn
    Reference.
    RPC III, 1962; Winterthur 3831; BMC 10

Obv. СΑΒΕΙΝΑ СΕΒΑСΤΗ
    Draped bust of Sabina, right

Rev. ΜΟСΤΗΝΩΝ
    Double axe (Bipennis) between grapes and ears of corn

2.88 gr
    14 mm
    6h 859 P Sabina RPC1962.jpg

13. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

colourfull budget copper as:

P1190164.JPG

14. Roman Collector

15. Roman Collector

You'll notice that your matronly, double-chinned example has the same SABINA AVGVSTA HADRIANI AVG P P obverse inscription. I'm not sure what this indicates about the chronology of the inscription, though. The same inscription is found on bronze coins with her "piled high" hairdo (which I believe to be earlier) and a more youthful appearance, such as Eduard's example above and this dupondius in my collection:

Sabina Dupondius.jpg
    Sabina, AD 117-137
    Roman orichalcum dupondius, 27 mm, 12.28 g
    Rome, AD 128-137
    Obv: SABINA AVGVSTA HADRIANI AVG P P, diademed and draped bust right, hair coiled and piled on top of head
    Rev: CONCORDIA AVG S C,
    Concordia enthroned left, holding patera and resting on statuette of Spes; cornucopiae below seat
    Refs: RIC 1021; Cohen 17

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice capture @Roman Collector ! A very nice Matron.

I only have one by her:

RI Sabina 117-137 Denarius 3.18g Venus standing right holding an apple RSC73.JPG
    RI Sabina 117-137 Denarius 3-18g Venus standing right holding an apple RSC73

17. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I also like the high hairstyle, and recently picked up this as (RIC 1024, Vesta holding palladium and sceptre):

013473_l.jpg
    Definitely not a "robust" portrait, but the seller says it was struck c. 134. If that's right, I doubt there's much of a temporal progression towards robustness...

Draft saved Draft deleted