New 2017D variety?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Spark1951, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

In a unsearched bank roll I found this, the second coin of 50. Lots of plating blisters...
    S20180306_0010.jpg
    Keeping this in mind, the reverse showed a letter in STATES that looked like different...
    S20180306_0010.jpg S20180306_0016.jpg
    Obviously a plating blister showing up at the wrong place. Here's a close-up... S20180306_0004.jpg
    Besides plating blisters, the coin is MS63+, but I won't be keeping it.

Many thanks to Rick Stachowski for his info, guidance and direction. This is the first post with pics using my new usb microscope. I just had to share this anomaly with everyone.

Spark

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spark1951

Sorry, accidental xtra obverse...Spark

4. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

What kind of USB scope are you using. I am looking for a good one, and this looks good.

Spark1951 likes this.
  5. Spark1951

Go to https://plugable.com/products/usb2-micro-250x/

Its a digital microscope, and at this site you can get all the specs. However...

I went to Amazon, found it and purchased for $34.95. Total was $37 and free shipping as we are Amazon Prime members. It arrived in 2 days.

I'm using it with Windows 10, you download the drivers, then plug in the 'scope.

When you open the program, all you have to do is go to settings to select the device (away from the webcam). This is the "gear" icon @ top left of the program window. The ring lite on the scope will not illuminate nor will you get a picture until you do.
    Also, the drivers enable a capacitive picture button located at the top, just lightly touch the top and you take a picture. I've taken about a dozen shots now inadvertantly while I test drove, but you just delete them.

To access the pictures when posting, you go to: "This PC, documents, digital viewer, single shots".

Any questions, dial me up on this or any other watched thread.

Spark

6. Gunner1944

Gunner1944 Active Member

Same scope I am using

7. Spark1951

Used it yesterday to check two 1941-S nickels for the large "S". In conjunction with a tiny mylar mm scale, I confirmed they were the small "s" type.

Product data on web says able to get 250x mag, is the strongest mag. I've found in this type.

Spark

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

All you have is a Worn Die Strike.. Not any kind of new variety

9. Spark1951

Worn die strike or not, this was a slam on, once again, crappy zincolns, this time all the plating blisters.

I apologize wholeheartedly if I misled you. Paddyman98, I have learned too much from you in the last couple months not to say "I'm sorry" if I did. Turns out this was a poor joke, my fault.

Spark

10. Richard gladfelter

Richard gladfelter Well-Known Member

I've seen alot of the new shields with these,alot of them are on the reverse.
    Left side dip in the shield. But i haven't seen one of these yet.

11. Spark1951

Richard, I hope you don't EVER find one of these, but I know that's unrealistic. More are gonna turn up, yet another indictment on the design and QC of plated zincs.

If there were ever a reason to stop making cents it's this kinda crap. 95% of 2017 P & D cents have some kind of deficiency: hairline die cracks on obv. and rev., mis-aligned die and plating issues, excessive contact marks and scratches on planchets before they are used.

I expect the 2018s to be crap too.

Spark

Richard gladfelter likes this.
  12. Richard gladfelter

They are probably crap

Spark1951 likes this.
  13. Richard gladfelter

I was poking around garbagetube looking for a quick fix on a motorbike and seen a coin pick of a 2018 that said I'M FIRE! I went to eBay and people are selling rolls for 2.99 with 142 sold,boxes for 100s.

Draft saved Draft deleted