New 1998 P LMC Discovery DDR

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tommyc03, Jan 12, 2021.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I have a third new discovery from my last bag of 1998 P LMC's. It's WDDR-039. It has a slight doubling at the inside of pillar 6. But the markers are easy as it has multiple clash marks both reverse and obverse. Wexler has not posted any photos in some time so I don't have anything to post in pics. But seek and ye shall discover, even 23 years after they were made. Here is his note to me.
    Hello Tom,

I have processed the coin that you submitted for attribution in a package postmarked January 4, 2021.

The 1998 Lincoln cent is 1998 1¢ WDDR-039 which is a new listing for my files.

Congratulations on the new listing. If you should decide to send the doubled die to ANACS to be slabbed with the Wexler File number, be sure to include a copy of this letter along with the coins

Good luck with all of your collecting efforts.

Sincerely,
    John A. Wexler

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Wow !! Congratulations on your New discovery . ;)

4. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

Congrats, Tom, and well done!

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That’s awesome! Will you be acknowledged as the discoverer in future publications?

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Yes, John adds the name of the person who discovered the coin when he updates his listings. A small claim to be sure but has a cool factor. I even made friends with a couple of folks who made many discovery additions to Wexler's file during the 2009 LMC craze. David Edgland and Marilyn Keeney. Marilyn's husband Rufus had a TV show about hunting for mushrooms. Discovery channel I think. Strange sometimes how one niche hobby can branch out the way it sometimes does.

7. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I kind of enjoy that and it happens a lot to me when I read. Something mentioned catches my attention...then off into another direction/topic. It adds to the reading pile...but worth it.

tommyc03 and Inspector43 like this.
  8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Awesome @tommyc03 that is more fun than many of the other fun finds. Really happy for you.

tommyc03 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  9. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

Wait... so are these new discoveries worth a ton of money?

10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Oh heck no. Only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Especially so because this niche of the hobby is narrow. I only know of one person who pursued doubled dies to a serious completion. James Porter has assembled a complete collection of all known DDR's of the 2009 Lincoln Cents Formative Years. To complete a collection of the 1998 P Cents DDR's would be an enormous undertaking. Even more so in a MS condition set.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  11. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I keep them just for fun.

Kevin Mader and tommyc03 like this.
  12. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

As are fellow enthusiasts note, not worth a ton of money...in fact, not much at all. It's just nice to get some recognition and your name out there for the rest of us niche hobbyists. To be honest, when it comes to these minor/very minor discoveries, they are relatively common. I generally sit on them until someone else does the work (I guess I'm a touch lazy about it).

DarkRage666 and tommyc03 like this.
  13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Sorry, Tommy, I can't resist it. Reminds me of the one of the two high-school chums who bump into one another many years later and are getting reacquainted. The 1st guy relates, "I'm getting married tomorrow for the fourth time." The 2nd guy asks, "What happened the other three times?" 1st guy says, "My first wife died from eating poison mushrooms." "Oh my gosh, that's terrible," says the 2nd guy. "What happened to the second wife?" 1st guy says, "She died from eating poison mushrooms." "Oh my gosh, that's terrible," says the 2nd guy. "What happened to the third wife?" "She died from falling out a 40-story window, she wouldn't eat the mushrooms." Corny, I know, I know... :)

tommyc03 likes this.
  14. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@eddiespin Funny stuff. Glad you couldn't resist.

eddiespin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted