New 1886-S VAM? 6/6

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GeorgeM, Dec 31, 2020.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

1231201405.jpg 1231201404a.jpg 1231201403a.jpg 1231201404.jpg 1231201406.jpg 1231201406a.jpg 1231201406b.jpg 1231201412.jpg
    I'm not seeing a VAM that corresponds to this 1886-S. Am I missing it? Or did I finally find an undocumented VAM?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I have a feeling it's probably a stain or a piece of debris on the coin. I would poke it with a stick under a stereoscope.

GeorgeM likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It may be a small die chip.

GeorgeM likes this.
  5. GeorgeM

Definitely not any scuz on the coin.

At what point does a die chip become a different VAM? Also, the mintmark doesn't seem to correspond to any of the other VAMs for this date (there are only 3 noted on the VAM catalog).

1886-S a1 01 date.jpg 1886-S a1 02 date.jpg 1886-S a1 03 date doubled 6.jpg 1886-S a1 04 under neck.jpg 1886-S a1 05 mintmark.jpg 1886-S a1 06 mintmark.jpg 1886-S a1 07 liBerty doubled B.jpg 1886-S a1 08 liberty.jpg 1886-S a1 09 E in wE trust.jpg 1886-S a1 10 chipped I in liberty.jpg

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The big picture helps. As strong as that is, I'm thinking it must be some sort of damage to the digit. The date and mint mark position look to match VAM 3, but I don't see the doubling on the bottom of the 1. The S also looks either repunched or damaged.

John Burgess and GeorgeM like this.
  7. GeorgeM

Sorry, the original picture was with a lo-res burner phone & hand loop (not the best way to obtain results, but what I had available with my dining table covered in wrapping paper/presents).

I agree on the S. There are 2 VAMS with repunched or doubled mint marks for this date, but neither quite matches. The doubling all seems to be located in the lower loop of the S.

I think the 2nd set of pictures does a better job of showing the clear doubling on the upper arc of the 6. There is also minor doubling under the 1 and the second 8 in the date too. The enclosed loop within the 6 seems a bit misshapen as well (possibly reinforcing your theory of damage to the digit), but I'm unsure what would cause these results.

8. GeorgeM

9. GeorgeM

I'm also curious about the "ray" across Liberty in Liberty's cap. Does this strike you as post mint damage, or something on the die itself?

To have created negative space on the coin, with would need to have been raised on the dies. Perhaps from polishing?

10. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

My opinion is it's a reasonably circulated and worn VAM-3, not a professional attributeer though. (attributeer, I made that up!)

No idea what's up with that 6 besides maybe damage though.

GeorgeM likes this.
  11. GeorgeM

Bumping this. Any other opinions?

12. GeorgeM

Tested with a toothpick, and the stray curl in the 6 is not a loose piece.

13. GeorgeM

14. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I'm still on VAM 3 possibly late stage if they cleared the die chips out of the top of the 6. whatever is that on the 6 Istill think it's a sort of damage to the number.

I think there's some circulation here, which makes it harder. I think the doubling on the bottom of the 1 is there in your pictures, it's very slight to begin with, also the doubling on the 8 is smaller than the area on the one, and also slight, in all the doubling isn't very dramatic.

The S is centered, it does tilt left, even looks like the S on VAMworld.

ANyways, maybe a fresh pair of eyes will chime in and take a look.

GeorgeM likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted