Never overlook a dark toned coin in junk silver...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Omegaraptor, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Long time no see, CT!

Decided to go to the LCS yesterday, something I can’t do very often right now with lots of essays/projects due in place of exams. Spent about $30 on junk silver dimes/quarters, added a bit more to my PMs stack ($1.45 FV in total). The Mercury Dime tray was on top of the case, implying someone had just looked through it as I entered. Decided to see if they had missed anything.

After a bit of searching, I came across one with AU level details (some mint luster on the reverse too) and very dark obverse toning - in the low-light coin shop, I could see the S mintmark and that the date was 192-something (definitely not a common 40s Merc!), but looking through a loupe showed the last digit was a 5. Unfortunately, there is a scratch on the obverse in front of Liberty’s nose, but with these details, still worth quite a bit more than 21x face.

7CE3AD1D-5BFC-4B12-A16F-130093268DEC.jpeg 1D412B88-5CD1-4A67-BB87-BCCD16A621E6.jpeg

Didn’t find another 34 DDO in the quarters, but I found this. When you’re looking through lots of circulated 30s and 40s Washingtons they just stick out like a sore thumb when you find one.

59D1D1E8-B622-4041-BCBC-6AF8F23C8FFB.jpeg C41CA503-1B4B-4680-A88C-313D67A37BE2.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Nice,I get some of mine for F.V:):).

4. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

A quick acetone soak might remove that black. Either way, nice score!

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Acetone probably won't touch it, but some heavily diluted dip might lighten it. I don't think I would try removing it completely. I think it would have a "dead white" appearance if you did.

Omegaraptor and masterswimmer like this.
  6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Welcome back!

Omegaraptor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted