Never had this happen before...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TypeCoin971793, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

A 'new-ish' seller can very easily select the wrong option. I really think this is what happened. The CODB theory posed above doesn't really make sense, even if it's an attempt to maintain 100% feedback. The amount he would have to sell to recover the value, or potential profit off this coin makes no sense.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Seller messaged me back. I will be sending the coin back to him.

coinzip, C-B-D, ddddd and 2 others like this.
  4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You're a good man, TC. :)

ddddd likes this.
  5. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Seller has been on Ebay 15 years with over 10,000+ feedback.

One thing I can tell you is that Ebay sellers hate having "cases" that they need to resolve. Ebay is not a seller friendly forum and the bids one attracts can be driven by that feedback rating. Leaving the option open for any buyer to post a negative or even neutral can ultimately drive the bid price on the other items up for sale so eating ninety bucks is just the cost of doing business.

Also keep in mind that seller may be very well aware that the item was not a $89.00 (plus $2.00 shipping) coin if it was subject to harsh cleaning.

I know from another area of interest that there are sellers that strive to maintain that 100% by taking quick losses on transactions that go wrong.

6. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Having a seller not accept a return but authorize a refund is certainly odd, but the OP did the right thing returning it. High-five!

coinzip and C-B-D like this.
  7. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

All true but I hit one this week that is a stunner. A seller sent me a loose coin in a regular envelope and of course it broke through the envelope and was gone. Refused to refund the money (fortunately not much) and told me to contact the PO or eBay for my money. He will learn, but the work around for a seller is to just set up a new identity if they get too many bad ratings.

8. BooksB4Coins

Everyone always says this, but is it really that easy to do short using a buddy's name? Perhaps starting a new eBay account is easy, but PayPal as well?

9. ColonialCoin4

ColonialCoin4 Active Member

Hold a giveaway!

10. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Well you can change credit cards or banks and do the PayPal work around. A pain, but keeps one selling I guess.

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Would you even need to start a new PayPal? eBay feedback ratings aren't reflected in PayPal in anyway as far as I know. If all you're getting is bad feedback just switching the eBay name should be enough

12. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Good points and you are right about the ratings. The PayPal guarantee will probably keep me whole, and the bad rating will help keep him honest unless he goes off in a different direction. On a very small scale it is like buying a car and the dealer wrecking it on the way to delivery, and then telling you it is your fault.

13. TypeCoin971793

Good job guys for teaching the world how to get around eBay's feedback system.

14. baseball21

I don't like giving tips on that either, but that one wasn't really a secret.

micbraun likes this.
  15. BooksB4Coins

I was mostly referencing those who get themselves banned as opposed to simply ruining their feedback; my apologies for being vague/unclear.

It is often assumed those who've been given the boot simply start new selling accounts, but short of using someone else's name, I simply fail to see how it's so (supposedly) easy to do. I was also curious as to if the fact eBay and PayPal are now separate companies has, in any way, made it easier for such people, but assume that any PayPal account attached to a banned eBay account would be flagged.

Do you feel the same when issues/anomalies that can be used to identify counterfeits are openly discussed? Some here are of the belief that this only helps the bad guys, seemingly ignoring the fact that it can be a greater help those targeted by such things. Well, the same goes for how the lowlifes manage to start new selling accounts, and maybe, just maybe, if truly as easy as some claim, openly addressing it will not only help to shine a spotlight on the problem, but also make those targeted more aware of eBay's pitfalls.

16. baseball21

I don't think PayPal cares at all if an eBay account gets banned nor would they know. I've never heard of someones PayPal being shut down because their eBay account was banned

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Returning it is proper.
    How much do you have to pay in shipping?

18. TypeCoin971793

$3

Michael K likes this.
  19. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

LOL finally I know how to do it!!!

20. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

That's why I don't do any real business with anyone without substantial and prolonged feedback. I also check to see what the feedback relates to. If a seller has 200 pieces of feedback but they all relate to selling $1 hair ribbons, I'm likely not going to buy a VF35 1893-S Morgan Dollar from them.

21. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm pretty sure they mean for you to return it when they say so, but keep it for now. This happened to me a few years ago, but not with a coin, and not something that cost me more than $90.

Draft saved Draft deleted